S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 30th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #41
Derrick

Default The waltz-jump steals all momentum

OK, I can do the waltz-jump now. But when I land I'm amost stopped. Even if I try to kick it up a notch, I roll of really slow. Where does the momentum go? Does it add height or rotation or sme of both.

I tried to take all the advice from this post. I swing my free foot way back, start on mostly flat. Don't swing the leg out for rotation, use the body. Throw the free foot as high as I can bending the knee to my chest. The bring it down quickly for the landing. I leave the takeoff foot in front. Then attempt to present. But it looks a little silly when you are barely moving. It's like, " Look at me." "OK, but you're not moving."

Any helps?
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #42
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
OK, I can do the waltz-jump now. But when I land I'm amost stopped. Even if I try to kick it up a notch, I roll of really slow. Where does the momentum go? Does it add height or rotation or sme of both.

I tried to take all the advice from this post. I swing my free foot way back, start on mostly flat. Don't swing the leg out for rotation, use the body. Throw the free foot as high as I can bending the knee to my chest. The bring it down quickly for the landing. I leave the takeoff foot in front. Then attempt to present. But it looks a little silly when you are barely moving. It's like, " Look at me." "OK, but you're not moving."

Any helps?
take off should be flat, your probably slowing down before the jump. its a waltz jump dont overdue the body and free leg. u should be rolling out of the jump after the landing.
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #43
Ancient1

Derrick, Show us. a vid is the best way to see what is happening and why. Any answer we give is either generic or possibly not addressing the real issue. Let's see what is happening and then we can help.

Quote:

Any helps?
Old November 4th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #44
Derrick

Default Shocking Video!

No shocking content, just shocking I made a video.
So, I snook to the park after work. Actually, snook off early. No, I don't usually skate in work clothes.

No time to get used to the surface so I'm doing all good side and very slow. Oh yea, the sun was also in my eyes. I left the awesome crashes in. I like the first fall, but randomly deciding to do pushups is good too.

Anyway there are some weak spin attempts and lots of waltz-jump attempts.
http://youtu.be/EaX9Q2iI6MQ
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #45
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
No shocking content, just shocking I made a video.
So, I snook to the park after work. Actually, snook off early. No, I don't usually skate in work clothes.

No time to get used to the surface so I'm doing all good side and very slow. Oh yea, the sun was also in my eyes. I left the awesome crashes in. I like the first fall, but randomly deciding to do pushups is good too.

Anyway there are some weak spin attempts and lots of waltz-jump attempts.
http://youtu.be/EaX9Q2iI6MQ
Derrick, just a couple of suggestions: build up your speed before entering the waltz jump, and concentrate on keeping the free leg straight with a pointed toe, arms straight out in front. In general, all of your entries are too slow. Keep working and you will succeed.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #46
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Derrick, just a couple of suggestions: build up your speed before entering the waltz jump, and concentrate on keeping the free leg straight with a pointed toe, arms straight out in front. In general, all of your entries are too slow. Keep working and you will succeed.

I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Tomorrow aftrernoon is next skating opportunity.
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #47
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Tomorrow aftrernoon is next skating opportunity.

Be sure to land on a bent knee, too. I often forget to do so and it causes me to pitch forward on landing. My other problem with the waltz jump is over rotating. How can such a simple jump seem so complicated? The most beautiful waltz jumps I've seen were those with a lot of speed, good height, graceful landing with full body extension.
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #48
Ancient1

Derrick,
Thanks so very much for posting. You really are doing good, but there are some things you can do better and to make freestyle easier.

Yes, I agree that speed or lack thereof is a problem. But there is much more that can help.

First let me say that the arabesque was the best I have seen of your skills. Your 2 foot spin was decent but could use some work as does your one foot spin and 3 turn.

But let's help out with some basics to assist with your waltz jump.

1. Posture on entry and exit.
a. Back straight, shoulders over your hips.
b. bend your left knee more on takeoff and landing.
c. straighten your free leg (right leg) more.
2. Control your arms as you jump.
a. Your left arm is checking before you even jump and on landing that left arm is almost where it was when you started to jump. By doing item 1a above you will go a long way to accomplishing this. Keep your hips and shoulders together.
b. both arms are all over the place. Keep them both in a single plane. I have suggested in the past to use a stick to keep them together. I actually thought you were going to do that with the broom.
3. Speed is your friend, get more speed.

I would bet that if you just do those 3 things that you would be able to make it all the way around without any problems. Currently you are fighting your rotation by checking even before you jump. Honestly try to let your left arm follow with your hips till you land, or slightly before.

This is an aid move to help. start off skating backwards, do a Mohawk to a left outside forward edge and then as soon as the Mohawk is completed and WITHOUT waiting, swing the right foot forward and go into the waltz jump.

This is typically known as an ASSIST move (to assist with setting up a jump). It lets you get your body in position. down side is if you don't do the Mohawk properly you are not in correct position.

Later with your permission we can address the 3 turn and the spins, but for now work on the waltz and try getting a good Mohawk as an entry to the waltz.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #49
Derrick

Default Thanks for the quality feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Derrick,
Thanks so very much for posting. You really are doing good, but there are some things you can do better and to make freestyle easier.

Yes, I agree that speed or lack thereof is a problem. But there is much more that can help.

First let me say that the arabesque was the best I have seen of your skills. Your 2 foot spin was decent but could use some work as does your one foot spin and 3 turn.

But let's help out with some basics to assist with your waltz jump.

1. Posture on entry and exit.
a. Back straight, shoulders over your hips.
b. bend your left knee more on takeoff and landing.
c. straighten your free leg (right leg) more.
2. Control your arms as you jump.
a. Your left arm is checking before you even jump and on landing that left arm is almost where it was when you started to jump. By doing item 1a above you will go a long way to accomplishing this. Keep your hips and shoulders together.
b. both arms are all over the place. Keep them both in a single plane. I have suggested in the past to use a stick to keep them together. I actually thought you were going to do that with the broom.
3. Speed is your friend, get more speed.

I would bet that if you just do those 3 things that you would be able to make it all the way around without any problems. Currently you are fighting your rotation by checking even before you jump. Honestly try to let your left arm follow with your hips till you land, or slightly before.

This is an aid move to help. start off skating backwards, do a Mohawk to a left outside forward edge and then as soon as the Mohawk is completed and WITHOUT waiting, swing the right foot forward and go into the waltz jump.

This is typically known as an ASSIST move (to assist with setting up a jump). It lets you get your body in position. down side is if you don't do the Mohawk properly you are not in correct position.

Later with your permission we can address the 3 turn and the spins, but for now work on the waltz and try getting a good Mohawk as an entry to the waltz.

Yes, arabesque is my best element, I can do it fast/slow either foot forwards and backwards. Turn pretty tight but not quite spinning. I like to start my backwards one off of a Mohawk to get a good outside edge.

Yes I need help on my badly cheated three turns (my back wheels must be three inches off the surface), and definitely on the one foot spins.

I'll try to digest the waltz jump helps. Is it correct that I should do a deep knee bending Mohawk to assisst?

Only 11 hours untill open session.
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #50
Derrick

Default Thought I was going to make no progress

But by the end of the session, I improved the jump somewhat. Yes posture is key and I have 50 years of poor-ish posture.
Lokking for a break in the weather to get vid of improvement. I did not get to where I could come off of a Mohawk though. My Mohawk going ccw is my bad side for a Mohawk. I'ts becomming a less noticeable difference though. I actually improved it a lot this evening.
Old November 9th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #51
Derrick

Thought I could sneak in some practice at the skate park this afternoon but 80% chance of rain
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #52
Derrick

Quote:
Thought I could sneak in some practice at the skate park this afternoon but 80% chance of rain
Oh great I was looking at Indianapolis, No rain here. I'm going to the skate park for about an hour. Not long before the park will be ice skating only though.
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #53
Derrick

Quote:
Oh great I was looking at Indianapolis, No rain here. I'm going to the skate park for about an hour. Not long before the park will be ice skating only though.
Went to the park, got my spin back a bit. My entry needs work.

Made attempts at the waltz with a mohwak assist. Did get a lot more rotation, but kept landing on two feet. Didn't have time to set up the camera. I'll be out of the area until the weekend, so no skating
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #54
Derrick

Default Much better

OK got the mohawk entry tonight. It worked great for rotation. Jumped bith sides. Bad side became good side. I'm just a little better at that mohawk. First attempt was awesome (for me). I could feel the spin, landed great. I felt I could have had a bit more height, but I'm getting there with more knee bend.

The later attempts weren't bad, just didn't quite ever get the feel of the first. But I can come iff the mohawk easily now. And rotation is not an issue. Still could use a but more soeed and height.

I'm out this weekend for a skating trip so no video (unless Zeke record me). Next saturday I can if the weather holds out. Can't wait fir more tips, They are awesome.
Old November 20th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #55
mass_quads
Addicted

Button down shirt and khakis... are you practicing on your lunch break?

Looking good, your video is inspiring.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #56
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_quads View Post
Button down shirt and khakis... are you practicing on your lunch break?

Looking good, your video is inspiring.
No better, I snuck out early.
Old November 21st, 2015, 02:19 AM   #57
Derrick

Finally got that feel of rotation consistently. But sometime I come down on my toes. I need some elbow protection. The wrist protection is great but I usually get the elbow slighty when I fall off this jump. I think saw the answer to comming down on your toes is a bit of knee bend.
Old November 21st, 2015, 10:07 AM   #58
Ancient1

Derrick,
Good Job. I am glad you decided to take the advice. Doing the Mohawk before the jump is called an assist or setup move. It sets up your position so your hips and shoulders are in the correct position. I can't wait to see the next vids. Go for it.
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #59
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Derrick,

Yep, finally, not by trying, just doing it over and over. My waltz-three turn and waltz-jump feel almost exactly the same. Waltzy. I almost don't notice I'm changing the landing foot on the jump and staying on the same foot on the turn. I love that waltzy feeling when skating. I think I've got this one, but I will get video on thursday to make sure.

I wish Huntington Rink would uncover their mirrored wall. I think I could advance quicker thwt way.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #60
Ancient1

FINALLY!

Quote:
Yep, finally, not by trying, just doing it over and over. My waltz-three turn and waltz-jump feel almost exactly the same. Waltzy. I almost don't notice I'm changing the landing foot on the jump and staying on the same foot on the turn. I love that waltzy feeling when skating. I think I've got this one, but I will get video on thursday to make sure.

I wish Huntington Rink would uncover their mirrored wall. I think I could advance quicker thwt way.