S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old December 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #21
Poobah

Some possible reasons why they may not feature it so prominently. For the same reason some shops will try and talk you out of buying a non-package skate, DA45 plates, or the short-forward mount you asked for.

Anything that's custom takes longer to ship. Depending on the skate shop, that may mean that a longer amount of time falls between them paying Riedell/their distributor and their getting paid by you.

It's also a bit more work to order skates in clarino. Instead of just submitting an order for "package X" or 265 with Revenge, they'll have to submit a special order to Riedell. Because they take longer to build, that probably means more messages from you asking them where their skates are, and more checking with the distributor on their part.

The bigger problem with ANYTHING custom, is that a standard skate package they can ship out to you, and it can be returned by you unskated if it doesn't fit you. You cough up the shipping charges to return it, and they get you something else. Happy customer, eventually.

With a custom build, if it winds up not fitting right (or you hate how it skates), they have a choice between an unhappy customer (who will likely bellyache loud/publicly/at practice or never buy from them again) and trying to sell something in the "Closeouts/Odds & Ends" section of their web site). More often than not, they wind up "giving those away" at or below cost. That's not a good deal for them, but they don't want to lose the customer forever.

Here's the bigger thing. No matter how clear the skate shop makes it that Clarino isn't leather and may not be as durable, someone's going to get upset if it doesn't hold up to the stresses of derby.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #22
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellLillian View Post
Leather isn't the most durable material out there.
It's the cheapest and easiest durable material out there.
I think it's a load of crap when people say "leather is the strongest thing EVAR," because that's just not true. It's relatively strong, relatively cheap, and is pretty easy to make into boots.
If some time and money were invested into other materials, something would come along that is far more comfortable and durable than leather.
It's just that everyone is so stuck on leather, that will never happen.

And no, color options are barely a concern at all. Getting a nice, comfortable boot that actually fits my feet without having to buy leather is important.
I brought up the colors because Antik is putting a LOT of effort into having every color imaginable available in suede and leather, and I feel like it would be nice to have a couple different colors available in Clarino, other than black and white.

Also, even if Clarino is the only thing out there, stores can at least advertise that Riedell can make any boot out of it. They can make it an option, just like colors and sizing customizations. Very few stores do that. You seriously need to have a very long email conversation with these stores, that includes them contacting Riedell, to even find out what the charges will be (they vary from boot to boot).
Maybe you're in an area where there aren't a lot of vegans. Who knows. The skate shop in my area does have the Clarino 265s on their site, but state they are special order, and there are a lot of vegans in this city. How many of them skate derby I don't know, but as the poster above me stated, shops would probably rather sell off the shelf packages because they're returnable if they don't fit, easier for them to sell and they probably make a bit more money on non custom packages.

I also think as long as this current generation lives anyways, non-vegans will outnumber vegans, hence no color options for synthetic material.

Or it simply could be that Riedell has tested other colors of Clarino and found it not as durable.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #23
big-red

can you have the inside different to the outside? or can you only design the left boot and right boot?
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #24
Nathan_

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-red View Post
can you have the inside different to the outside? or can you only design the left boot and right boot?
The inside and outside of the boot will be the same.
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Nathan_

Default MG2 Boot designer

URL has changed..

Last edited by Nathan_; September 2nd, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #26
Hot Lips

I love the randomiser function most of all. I think if I were getting Antiks, I would get whatever the randomiser told me to get. It's a million times better than the official Riedell boring-o-matic.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Salamanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
I love the randomiser function most of all. I think if I were getting Antiks, I would get whatever the randomiser told me to get. It's a million times better than the official Riedell boring-o-matic.
It's addictive! I've just spent the better part of half an hour pressing the random button over and over.

Last edited by Salamanda; January 11th, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect!
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #28
madcheeseknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
(Painting nice red target on back.....)
Oh, and if you are going the 'roo leather route, I hear tell from the Aussies that they are up to their eyeballs in 'roos, so again, not a species ending practice, using 'roo leather.

No animals were harmed in the making of this rant.

End of rant.
Kangaroos are quite nice to eat - but we also feed them to our pets
AND
yes they're are huge pest
madcheeseknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #29
Stinkfist

How are you Hats?
You seem to have been keeping a very low profile again lately!
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #30
Hot Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcheeseknees View Post
Kangaroos are quite nice to eat
I was super homesick last night and one of the things I was mourning was my sister's 'roo roast. Droooooool...
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #31
madcheeseknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkfist View Post
How are you Hats?
You seem to have been keeping a very low profile again lately!
just busy around x-mas - you know people are going to starve if woolies is shut for one day
madcheeseknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #32
Stinkfist

Ah yes, the old 'I'll die if I can't buy a can of beans and a litre of milk' syndrome!
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #33
Nathan_

Here is another preview/actual picture.

Old January 17th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #34
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellLillian View Post
Leather isn't the most durable material out there.
It's the cheapest and easiest durable material out there.
I think it's a load of crap when people say "leather is the strongest thing EVAR," because that's just not true. It's relatively strong, relatively cheap, and is pretty easy to make into boots.
If some time and money were invested into other materials, something would come along that is far more comfortable and durable than leather.
It's just that everyone is so stuck on leather, that will never happen.

And no, color options are barely a concern at all. Getting a nice, comfortable boot that actually fits my feet without having to buy leather is important.
I brought up the colors because Antik is putting a LOT of effort into having every color imaginable available in suede and leather, and I feel like it would be nice to have a couple different colors available in Clarino, other than black and white.

Also, even if Clarino is the only thing out there, stores can at least advertise that Riedell can make any boot out of it. They can make it an option, just like colors and sizing customizations. Very few stores do that. You seriously need to have a very long email conversation with these stores, that includes them contacting Riedell, to even find out what the charges will be (they vary from boot to boot).
Bont makes amazing products.....the 99% of people who whine about them "Not holding up" for derby A. have totally unrealistic expectations from their skates.(and frequently can't skate) B. spend ZERO time taking care of their equipment.
I spend a LOT of time fixing skates for friends for zero cash, but seeing how 99% of skaters treat their stuff I stopped telling new people I would help them until I see them take care of their gear. (the 12 people I do work on are sworn to secrecy.)

Leather is FAR from cheap. There are dozens of cheaper materials out there that could be made into skates. It's not the strongest and it's far from the easiest. What it is the best PERIOD. (for the moment.) I have 50 year old Betty Lyte boots and a 35 year old pair Full on Custom built Riedell's That sadly my still growing feet out grew from 25-35. These are treasures to me and they last because they are taken care of.....not because they're made of some synthetic garbage it took a half dozen toxic chemicals to make that will have a half-life of 1,500 years in some landfill some where.

Don't expect anyone to cry because you can't get the pretty custom green and pink and whatever.
You have your convictions....that's fine. Expect to suffer for them or hold your breath while expecting the rest of us to change for you. While we laugh.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:02 PM   #35
Nathan_

New boot designer - http://www.derbysmack.com/antik-ar1-boot-designer.html

Tags
antik