S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Nathan_

Arrow Antik AR1 Boot Designer - PREVIEW

You guys are the first to see it..

UPDATED URL (9/2/2015)
http://www.derbysmack.com/antik-ar1-boot-designer.html

Last edited by Nathan_; September 2nd, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Hot Lips

Like I said last week: LAIRY! Awesome
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #3
TLicalzi
CIOTRE

Thats neat!
Tony Licalzi (CIOTRE) - #30
Battlefield Roller Derby - www.BattlefieldRollerDerby.com
TLicalzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Kitty GotClaws
Meow

Well it has been almost TWO months since I got my Bonts, maybe its time for a new custom set-up
Kitty GotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #5
candy_contusions

oooh, time to start saving my money for prettty skate i think!
candy_contusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #6
ShellLillian

So much effort to make leather pretty, but vegan still only comes in black and white...
Selina Vyle #321
Nike Jr. Mercurial Victory II/Magnesium Avenger/Super Reds/Jukes or Canns.
ShellLillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellLillian View Post
So much effort to make leather pretty, but vegan still only comes in black and white...
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #8
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Blame Riedell. They make the Antiks for Mo.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
ShellLillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
Blame Riedell. They make the Antiks for Mo.
I know. There are more color options for Antiks than there are for regular Riedell skates, though, I think.

It just really bothers me.
And then people try to say that vegan options are so limited because there's no market for them, but there is. There are a lot of derby players (and I'm sure a good amount of other skaters) that don't want to wear leather, but vegan options aren't made accessible, so the skaters that don't want to buy leather just buy used or skate on cheap vegan skates.
If stores and companies would actually actively advertise their vegan options, and if manufacturers would make them nice, I'm positive there would be a market for it.
As I've been asking around to get my skates, it's ridiculous how much digging it takes just to find out what vegan options are available and what the prices are. Even stores don't know what's available.

Anyways, the little custom creator thing is a lot of fun. I designed the ones I'd get if they weren't leather, and they looked pretty badass.
Selina Vyle #321
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #10
scrapdaddy

Quote:
I know. There are more color options for Antiks than there are for regular Riedell skates, though, I think.

It just really bothers me.
And then people try to say that vegan options are so limited because there's no market for them, but there is. There are a lot of derby players (and I'm sure a good amount of other skaters) that don't want to wear leather, but vegan options aren't made accessible, so the skaters that don't want to buy leather just buy used or skate on cheap vegan skates.
If stores and companies would actually actively advertise their vegan options, and if manufacturers would make them nice, I'm positive there would be a market for it.
As I've been asking around to get my skates, it's ridiculous how much digging it takes just to find out what vegan options are available and what the prices are. Even stores don't know what's available.

Anyways, the little custom creator thing is a lot of fun. I designed the ones I'd get if they weren't leather, and they looked pretty badass.
vegan = bont......just a thought
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #11
ShellLillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
vegan = bont......just a thought
I have considered it, but everything I've read says that their microfiber absolutely can't stand up to derby. Riedell's Clarino I've seen mixed reviews for, but it seems a bit sturdier.
Selina Vyle #321
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #12
Poobah

Why not simply buy 10 pairs of used LT429s for $25 a pair, drill out the rivets that secure the Resisters on 'em, and mount your nice plates on them. When you've worn 'em out, move on to the next pair.

Or just buy a used pair of leather boots. The cow's already dead. You not buying a used pair of boots won't bring it back to life...
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #13
ShellLillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
Why not simply buy 10 pairs of used LT429s for $25 a pair, drill out the rivets that secure the Resisters on 'em, and mount your nice plates on them. When you've worn 'em out, move on to the next pair.

Or just buy a used pair of leather boots. The cow's already dead. You not buying a used pair of boots won't bring it back to life...
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Skaters that don't want to buy leather are stuck getting cheap boots over and over again or used.
Which is fine, ethically, but why can't we get some fancy new boots every once in a while? There is a market for it, we just really aren't made aware that it's possible, because when someone says they don't want leather, this is exactly what they're told. "Get vinyl or used. You don't deserve a nice boot"
Selina Vyle #321
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Leather/Synthetic Rant

(Painting nice red target on back.....)

So, I just don't get the synthetic boot crowd. I may be wrong, but I think it is an outgrowth of the fur issue. In the 70's, fur was HOT. (literally and figuratively ) Then as it came to be known that fur providing animals were being hunted and trapped to extinction, protesters started lurking around with spray paint and tagging folks who wore fur, essentially ruining the expensive coats. The fur business took a nose dive and I supported it. Actually, I was not very invested in it, but I could certainly see the logic of protecting animals over the need to provide rich people an exclusive but unnecessary luxury.

Now let's talk cows and ethics. Cows are in no danger of becoming extinct here in the U.S. They are raised primarily for meat, not hides. It was an odd comment someone made earlier that a used leather boot is ok because the cow is already dead. I'm pretty sure the leather on a new leather boot is from a cow that is already dead too. So with the cow dead and the leather sitting there, why not use it? No. Instead, let's take some fossil fuels and chemicals and make an unnatural, and in some cases non-biodegradable substance to make boots out of so we can leave the hide of an already dead cow alone. We already know that leather is THE superior boot material.

I get that some people are against the use (abuse?) of animal products. All I have to say to those people is that if it were not for our "use" of animal products throughout history, our species would have died off long ago, ergo, Mr/Ms complainer would have never been born to complain.

The campaign against fur is a good one because mankind IS stupid enough to hunt/trap the fur hide species to extinction. Cows are not in that peril. So what I say to vegan boot wanters is, make a friggin exception, and get a nice leather boot. It is the RIGHT material for the job. Then to make up for using a leather product, do 200 hours of protesting against stores that sell fur to balance out the universe. The fur hide animals NEED the protection. Cows do not. Just sayin'.

Oh, and if you are going the 'roo leather route, I hear tell from the Aussies that they are up to their eyeballs in 'roos, so again, not a species ending practice, using 'roo leather.

@ShellLillian: No offense intended. These opinions have been brewing for some time as I have read about folks complaining about the sorry state of vegan skate boots and are not aimed at you or anyone else specifically, but at vegan boot wanters generally.

No animals were harmed in the making of this rant.

End of rant.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #15
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
(Painting nice red target on back.....)

So, I just don't get the synthetic boot crowd. I may be wrong, but I think it is an outgrowth of the fur issue. In the 70's, fur was HOT. (literally and figuratively ) Then as it came to be known that fur providing animals were being hunted and trapped to extinction, protesters started lurking around with spray paint and tagging folks who wore fur, essentially ruining the expensive coats. The fur business took a nose dive and I supported it. Actually, I was not very invested in it, but I could certainly see the logic of protecting animals over the need to provide rich people an exclusive but unnecessary luxury.

Now let's talk cows and ethics. Cows are in no danger of becoming extinct here in the U.S. They are raised primarily for meat, not hides. It was an odd comment someone made earlier that a used leather boot is ok because the cow is already dead. I'm pretty sure the leather on a new leather boot is from a cow that is already dead too. So with the cow dead and the leather sitting there, why not use it? No. Instead, let's take some fossil fuels and chemicals and make an unnatural, and in some cases non-biodegradable substance to make boots out of so we can leave the hide of an already dead cow alone. We already know that leather is THE superior boot material.

I get that some people are against the use (abuse?) of animal products. All I have to say to those people is that if it were not for our "use" of animal products throughout history, our species would have died off long ago, ergo, Mr/Ms complainer would have never been born to complain.

The campaign against fur is a good one because mankind IS stupid enough to hunt/trap the fur hide species to extinction. Cows are not in that peril. So what I say to vegan boot wanters is, make a friggin exception, and get a nice leather boot. It is the RIGHT material for the job. Then to make up for using a leather product, do 200 hours of protesting against stores that sell fur to balance out the universe. The fur hide animals NEED the protection. Cows do not. Just sayin'.

Oh, and if you are going the 'roo leather route, I hear tell from the Aussies that they are up to their eyeballs in 'roos, so again, not a species ending practice, using 'roo leather.

@ShellLillian: No offense intended. These opinions have been brewing for some time as I have read about folks complaining about the sorry state of vegan skate boots and are not aimed at you or anyone else specifically, but at vegan boot wanters generally.

No animals were harmed in the making of this rant.

End of rant.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

While I get that vegans don't want to use any animal product whatsoever, the cow is getting killed for meat anyways. Cows don't get killed strictly for leather. Leather is not like fur. Also, synthetic boots are usually oil based and will take DECADES to break down in the environment and leather is natural, and much less harmful to the environment to make.

So maybe that's why nobody makes a whole lot of vegan options when it comes to a nicer boot. Fact is, naugahyde, Clarino, or whatever just doesn't compare to leather when it comes to quality and durability IMHO anyways.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #16
ShellLillian

Um, I don't eat cow either. I don't drink milk.
Plus, it's honestly a bit gross to wear someone else's skin on your feet.
I'm not going to get into a whole ethics debate here, this is about skates, my only point was that I wish companies would invest some time and money into advertising and bettering their animal-free options.
Whether you agree with us or not, there are a lot of vegan derby skaters that get pushed off to the side when we want new skates, and we are basically told we don't deserve nice skates because paying to wear an animals skin on our feet just isn't appealing.
Selina Vyle #321
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #17
Reserector
ameteur debunker

I like the way you set it up on the page. It displays really well, even on my smaller monitor.

Is the other one set up yet? (I guess I could go look, huh?)
Great work on this project! Record time, too.
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #18
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default It's simpler than you may imagine.

Quote:
... my only point was that I wish companies would invest some time and money into advertising and bettering their animal-free options.
It isn't that you don't "deserve" it. That never enters the equation.

There's no market.

There aren't enough of you for any company to go through the development process to bring a high quality vegan skate boot with the same color options as leather products to the marketplace so it can lay there and not sell. It's purely a numbers game.

I know that there are a lot of vegan skaters, especially in derby circles, and that every one of you would vote with your wallets if given the chance. Trouble is, there aren't thousands of you, or even hundreds, and it's a tough sell to get someone to do it in small batches.

It's unfortunate, but it's true.

Riedell gets close. You can get any boot they make made using vegan material, but you're stuck with black and white.
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #19
pixxiestixx

I don't think the problem is that there is no market I think the problem is that non leather just is not durable enough. Skates, especially in derby take a beating! Even the higher end clario does not hold up well. If you do not want to use leather products, even used, vintage or new old stock, that is your choice, but you can't get mad at the skate companies who don't want to use non leather products for their high end boots because they simply don't hold up to the abuse.

If color choice is your main concern, try using fiebigs( sp?). Leather dyes. You can make that used vintage boot look new and fancy in the colors you want. You can also get paints specific for vinyl usually in the automotive stores.

No one thinks it's that you don't deserve a good high end non leather boot, it's just simply that they don't hold up well. Maybe with advances in technology and more awareness of the vegan culture that will change.
Old December 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #20
ShellLillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixxiestixx View Post
I don't think the problem is that there is no market I think the problem is that non leather just is not durable enough. Skates, especially in derby take a beating! Even the higher end clario does not hold up well. If you do not want to use leather products, even used, vintage or new old stock, that is your choice, but you can't get mad at the skate companies who don't want to use non leather products for their high end boots because they simply don't hold up to the abuse.

If color choice is your main concern, try using fiebigs( sp?). Leather dyes. You can make that used vintage boot look new and fancy in the colors you want. You can also get paints specific for vinyl usually in the automotive stores.

No one thinks it's that you don't deserve a good high end non leather boot, it's just simply that they don't hold up well. Maybe with advances in technology and more awareness of the vegan culture that will change.
Leather isn't the most durable material out there.
It's the cheapest and easiest durable material out there.
I think it's a load of crap when people say "leather is the strongest thing EVAR," because that's just not true. It's relatively strong, relatively cheap, and is pretty easy to make into boots.
If some time and money were invested into other materials, something would come along that is far more comfortable and durable than leather.
It's just that everyone is so stuck on leather, that will never happen.

And no, color options are barely a concern at all. Getting a nice, comfortable boot that actually fits my feet without having to buy leather is important.
I brought up the colors because Antik is putting a LOT of effort into having every color imaginable available in suede and leather, and I feel like it would be nice to have a couple different colors available in Clarino, other than black and white.

Also, even if Clarino is the only thing out there, stores can at least advertise that Riedell can make any boot out of it. They can make it an option, just like colors and sizing customizations. Very few stores do that. You seriously need to have a very long email conversation with these stores, that includes them contacting Riedell, to even find out what the charges will be (they vary from boot to boot).
Selina Vyle #321

Tags
antik