S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old May 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #1
firefly

Default Best Artistic Inline Wheels for Outdoor??

Hi! Me again. Snow White frames comming with 90A medium rebound SpiralŪ wheels. Are these "indoor" or "outdoor"? Can anyone recommend a good "outdoor" wheel for artistic? (Think concrete skate parks). Thanks!!
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Wendy Hammond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Hi! Me again. Snow White frames comming with 90A medium rebound SpiralŪ wheels. Are these "indoor" or "outdoor"? Can anyone recommend a good "outdoor" wheel for artistic? (Think concrete skate parks). Thanks!!
Hi, Snow White also do a Speedmax wheel - this is more suitable for outdoor use - have fun
Wendy
Wendy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #3
firefly

Default Thanks!

Thanks!! I will order them!!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
firefly

Default Wheels

Been practicing outdoors for 2 weeks with the 90A wheels that came with the Snow Whites and they are pretty badly tore up, (especially the front ones). I don't just mean the edges. There are really deep rivets running down the middles and everything. (But luckily I can't really feel them that bad, so I can still skate). It is the worst on the front wheel, but they are all bad.
I've rotated the wheels, but they will all be trashed soon.

Got the Superspeedmax wheels a few days ago, but a guy in the skateshop mentioned that they were "softer" than the 90A's because their number is 84. Won't that be bad?? Won't they just break down faster? I am already sticking too much to the concrete as it is...a softer wheel will just stick worse, right? And it will tear up more quickly, right? Of course, I will give them a go in a few weeks when the 90A's are completely ruined, but do you think I should be looking for a harder wheel (above 90A), if I can find one?

Do you guys get what they mean by this number thing? So, I should get the highest number I can if I'm outdoors and the lowest I can for indoors, right?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Can't skate at all

If you find a really good artistic wheel for inlines, I'd love to know.

Please keep us posted with your outcomes for the ones you have now.
Can't skate at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #6
firefly

Will do.

Was going to make a quick video of my skatepark adventures. Will show the wheels on the video. There are huge "groves" down the centers and "pox marks" all over. Not to mention flat spots. I'm totally suprized they still spin at all. Wow!! Go skates!! (But, strangely, like I said. I can't really feel how bad they are while I am skating. I really don't think they are throwing me off. My mistakes are usually my own fault, (bending forward/leaning on takeoffs, toeing off to far inside etc.)
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #7
Wendy Hammond

If you go onto www.inlinefigure.com
then click site map, then extra wheel set, there is a good explanation of why different types of wheels are better for different things. Edward skates with spiral on front wheel and speedmax on the other two - the spiral always wears out before I need to change the other two. Hope this helps
Wendy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
tguido56

Hi firefly,

The wheel topic was already covered many time ago, so I believe it's time to return back.

Nowadays 90A wheels are almost an exception in the overall wheel market.
Maximum hardness you can (hardly) find is 84A.

If you like to keep 90A and don't like to buy overseas try
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320265299647
at the reasonable price of 18$ + 8$ shipping. These wheels are available in 76mm only, so they fit Snow Whites #16 and above.
The seller TGM Skateboards - as far as I know - deals only good quality items. Sometimes they are overstocks (as this one) w/o any print on the wheels. Anyway this doesn't affect quality and usually you pay for what you get.

The Labeda Asphalt are around 90A (sometimes told to be even 92A), 72mm and 76mm, very resistant to wear, fast enough, very good overall quality. Higher price but worth the money.
They appear on eBay from time to time. The ones listed below are 76mm.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180258572257

Keep in mind that 90A wheels, particularly on rough surfaces, can be slower than 84A ones. But if you skate mainly on outdoor concrete (which is smooth and very grippy), 90A may be the best choice.

I'm not convinced of the one to one relation hadness vs. wear. I experimented very hard wheels in the past that wore as fast (or maybe faster) than 84A.
And 84A wheels from different brands show different wear time, so try various brands until you find the "good wheel" for you.

Outdoor hockey wheels are a good replacement for the original Snow White's wheels. They can stand a heavy use with prolonged life and usually exhibit a nice "sweet edging".

The 84A (or higher hardness) choices may be:

- Red Star Rocket 86A red, 76mm. I used a similar Red Star in the past (it was 84A, not the Rocket) and I was very favourably impressed by the good response and a more-than-acceptable wear down.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250265760773

- Hyper Pro 250 84A (orange, the yellows are 82A), 72mm and 76mm, round profile (larger than Spirals/SpeedMax), very long lifetime, good edging but a bit slow. Sometimes good deals on eBay, sometimes not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360067315224

- Kryptonics Power Play 84A black, 72mm and 76mm, round profile. I've not used them, but I know they are considered of very good quality
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=360065080866

- Revision Ghost "The Axis" 84A, 72mm and 76mm, round profile. The smal core should allow good edging.
http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=360067040589

- Rink Rat World Cup 84A outdoor, 72mm and 76mm. This is the only outdoor wheel made by Rink Rat.
tguido56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #9
firefly

Default Wheels, wheels, wheels

Thank you for all the info!! I have taken a video of adventures at the skatepark which shows a close up of the wheels after only 2-3 weeks use. Am posting it now. Will provide link as soon as it is up.

I just guessed that a "harder" wheel would wear faster, but like you said, this may not necessarily be true....very confusing. Having very hard time spinning at skatepark. (Jumps are pretty good, though.) Easier to spin at the indoor rink, but I can't afford to go there too often. (Skatepark is free. ) Anyways, it feels like I'm sticking to the concrete at the skatepark. Not sure if this the wheels' fault or my own. Spins are, well, not going very well. (sigh)

Will be switching to the Speedmax soon. (Month or so when the 90A's are completely ruined.) If they don't work or hold up very well, I will try one of the other wheels you recommended. Thanks tguido!!!

By the way, do you guys/girls practice outdoors, indoors, or both? I'm pretty much outdoors, at least until winter sets in. By then I hope I have enough $ to travel to the city (50 miles away) 2 or 3 times a week to practice at a real rink. With gas prices the way they are, I'm not looking forward to it. But it will be the only way to practice for the winter/early spring.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #10
firefly

Default Vid of wheels (& me)

Here is vid. I think you can see the wheels. I held them up to the camera.

Kept in the better falls. Yes, I know the landing edges are too deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKkpHooyjs

Hi Everybody!!!

Last edited by firefly; July 6th, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #11
tguido56

Hi again firefly!

Quote:
Thank you for all the info!! I have taken a video of adventures at the skatepark which shows a close up of the wheels after only 2-3 weeks use.
The wear you show may be almost normal, since - I believe - you skate a lot (and very well btw!). Hot weather may also act in accelerating wheel consumption. Tight curved trajectories (landings of jumps, spins) lead to extra consumption. The tighter you turn the more the wheels slide and rub on the ground. It's unavoidable: inline skates have after all the wheels... on a straight line and pretend to go ahead, so wheels are "stressed" when following a curve.

Sorry. You have to live with it. Your wheels will wear down until you feel them still good and safe, after that... just throw them away and replace. There is nothing else to do. Take into account one wheel-set replacement every 1-2 months during the good season. Still cheaper than driving once a week far away for a good rink!

But...

1 - From time to time (maybe once a week or every 10 days) do "wheel rotation", on the skates. Dismount all the wheels and place the back-left wheel on the front-right position, the (just dismounted) front-right wheel on the central-left position, the central-left wheel on the back-right position, and so on. Place also the "fresher" edge of each wheel on the side (outer edge I believe) you experience higher wear down.
This way you should get a very uniform consumption of all the wheels, and you can better use them up to "the end".
Dont't postpone wheel rotation, do it regularly! Otherway you will end up with so much different wheel diameters and profiles that your skates will become "erratic".

2 - Try to adjust a bit more your skating techniques and habits to inline skating. This too may lead to some "wheel savings". Stressing and exaggerating all the up-down movements is good, since you will relief weight on the skates (and reduce consumption) during the phases critic for wheel wear. Bending even more your knee on landings can be beneficial.
Remember that an inline skate counteracts rotations and spins with the weight on the center. Try to move your weight a bit more on the toes on landings and spins (as quad roller skaters do).

Quote:
I just guessed that a "harder" wheel would wear faster, but like you said, this may not necessarily be true....very confusing.
It's confusing, I know! I only tell my impression. This can be an overall effect of many variables (season, wheel model, skating habits, quality of ground) so don't take it as "the truth".
My feeling (still to be verified) is that several 84A wheels have a smaller core diameter (39 to 44 mm) and hence more gum thickness on the wheels. They can bend more easily laterally, so definitely doing less rub and consumption on the ground.
The real truth is that, contrary to what happens to inline speed skaters, you don't shrink and rub down the wheels when you push, but when you turn, spin, do three turns etc.

You can immediately feel the difference between a softer (84A) and "more gummy" wheel and a harder (90A) one. Try to concentrate on that sensation: are the wheels sliding and rubbing the ground, or are they bending and following "naturally" the path? I believe you are able to feel the difference, and... I think you'll love the softer ones.

Look carefully at the wheel surface after some heavy use. Is it still "velvet like"? If yes your wheels are good for the summary of your conditions (your weight, strength, skating habits, ground, etc.)
If the wheels show a very rough surface, chances there are that they rub too much and very fast. Next time buy softer and/or better wheels. Try to smooth your skating movements and actions. Choose a smoother ground, etc.

And now.. I (and you) will like to hear other opinions on the matter, so please everyone contribute to this topic!!

I beg yor pardon for my non-perfect english. I'm Italian!

Guido
tguido56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #12
firefly

Default Thanks for wheel advice!!

Guido,
Actually, you write English very well.

Thank you for watching video and giving so much advice. Everything you said makes sense. I will definitely rotate the wheels so that they wear more evenly. That will help a lot.
And, as you said, it is definitely necessary to change my technique back to roller. I am still jumping/spinning like an ice skater. Not good. Too much edge and torque on the wheels/frames. But I'm working on it.....

I will be swithching to the Speedmax wheel soon and will let you know how it works out.

Do you skate outdoors often? I heard the Italians have some outdoor rinks. My "rink" is a skatepark. It's really built for kids to skateboard and BMX bike on. (You can see the ramps on the video). I'm probably the only one who will ever do artistic there. Unfortunately. I would love to have other figure skaters to skate with.

Hey, I'm Italian too!!! All of my grandparents (both sides) came to the US from (southern) Italy in the early 1900s.
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #13
firefly

Default Speedmax are Great!

Changed to Speedmax wheels. They are much better than the Spirals on the concrete skatepark. Have used them for 4 days. They hold speed better, edge better, and spins are much, much easier. Not sure about indoor. Will try Speedmax, Spirals and/or a combination and see what works best.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #14
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Back from Nationals

Moved to separate thread.

Joe
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #15
firefly

Default Update

Been two weeks and Speedmax still going strong on outdoor concrete!! No groves or splits. NICE!! Edges getting a bit worn, but that is normal. Still very skatable. Love these wheels!! Definitely the ones for outdoor. Also tried them indoors and they seemed to hold pretty well on the wood floor.
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:49 AM   #16
Can't skate at all

Hi Firefly,

where did you get the Speedmax wheels from? I'm having trouble finding some.

Thanks
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:14 AM   #17
firefly

Default Can I Use Name?

Not sure if I'm allowed to name the store (advertisement?), but here is a link:
http://www.shopskategear.com/
Click anywhere on the purple page to open the "store."
They are listed under "inline fig/rec wheels." (Down the left side of the page).
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #18
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Not sure if I'm allowed to name the store (advertisement?), but here is a link:
http://www.shopskategear.com/
Click anywhere on the purple page to open the "store."
They are listed under "inline fig/rec wheels." (Down the left side of the page).
FF:

What sized wheel did you get?
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #19
firefly

Default Wheel Size

I've got 72mm and they are working really well. They hold on both the skatepark and the indoor (wood) rink. They spin and edge much, much better than the Spirals (that come with the Snow White frames) out on the skatepark. (Didn't get to try Spirals on the indoor floor so don't know about that.) The spirals split down the center after a few weeks at the skatepark. (See video of me at skatepark holding up skates. I think you can see the splits down the centers.) Speedmax have not done this. Only wore a bit on the edges, which is normal.
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:03 AM   #20
Can't skate at all

I've ordered a set of Speedmax to replace the totally chewed up Spirals. Fingers crossed. They haven't arrived yet, but the spirals are absolutely falling to bits so hope they turn up soon. Thanks for the tip about the supplier.

Cheers,
Alison