S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Tislord

Default Greasing Pivot Cups?

Thrust plate just bought my daughter some new cups because she wore out the old one. Have read through the forum and I will check to see if the pin is rough etc. But it was also mentioned that greasing or lubing can extend the pivot cup life. Someone mentioned Johnny snot but I see its discontinued. So what grease or lube should I use for these cups that will not hurt, dry out, or otherwise damage the cups or pins?
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tislord View Post
Thrust plate just bought my daughter some new cups because she wore out the old one. Have read through the forum and I will check to see if the pin is rough etc. But it was also mentioned that greasing or lubing can extend the pivot cup life. Someone mentioned Johnny snot but I see its discontinued. So what grease or lube should I use for these cups that will not hurt, dry out, or otherwise damage the cups or pins?
I have had excellent success putting SG pivot cups in the Thrust. (Probably because I have a ton of them left from converting old SG SA plates to DA45 ) It will make the plates last long enough to get them on something of a better caliber.

That said, I would not advise any petroleum based lube. It would most likely attack the rubber. Silicone grease should be fine. That and some spare cups because rubber cups are intended to be replaced.
Old July 1st, 2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Silverado
Silverado

Wink Cup lube?

I just replaced my pivot pins and cups in my 50+ year old Snyder Imperial's. I used what Snyder recommended, Vaselline Petroleum Jelly. These were METAL CUPS. I recommend changing both the pins and cups together. The old pivot pin ball can be a bit different in size because of wear. If you take your old pivot pin and swivel it around in a new cup, you will feel it isn't smooth. Now do the same with the new pin and cup. With the new pin and cup you will get a smooth roll over when changing edges. As for the non metal cups, I haven't had that much experience with them and go with Doc said about the lube for them. As for the steel pivot pins against a rubber type cup, I dought if the pin would hardly wear. I've read a lot about the cups actually breaking apart.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:15 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation You did what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
I just replaced my pivot pins and cups in my 50+ year old Snyder Imperial's. I used what Snyder recommended, Vaselline Petroleum Jelly. These were METAL CUPS.

Allow me to jump in here... First to the best of my knowledge the metal pivot cups in any hanger style Snyder are not intended to be replaced. Care to fill us in on how you got them out?? The factory changes the entire hanger if the cup is worn.

I recommend changing both the pins and cups together. The old pivot pin ball can be a bit different in size because of wear. If you take your old pivot pin and swivel it around in a new cup, you will feel it isn't smooth. Now do the same with the new pin and cup. With the new pin and cup you will get a smooth roll over when changing edges.

If you have actually worn your cups which are hardened steel, you have either been running them dry or beating the hell out of them. The pivot pins are not hardened and they are intended to be the sacrificial element in the system. I suggest if you roll a Snyder you replace the pins any time they start to look warn.

Interestingly enough Snyder does not recommend Vaseline and longer and have not for a while. Seems "heavy oil" is the way to go. However, never being one to follow instructions I use one of several super high film strength greases lying around the shop. No problems so far.

As for the non metal cups, I haven't had that much experience with them and go with Doc said about the lube for them. As for the steel pivot pins against a rubber type cup, I dought if the pin would hardly wear. I've read a lot about the cups actually breaking apart.

I would love to see how you removed your cups. Feel free to come by the shop some time, if you ever head down 79 to Pittsburgh.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:57 PM   #5
quantoo

Default olive oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I have had excellent success putting SG pivot cups in the Thrust. (Probably because I have a ton of them left from converting old SG SA plates to DA45 ) It will make the plates last long enough to get them on something of a better caliber.

That said, I would not advise any petroleum based lube. It would most likely attack the rubber. Silicone grease should be fine. That and some spare cups because rubber cups are intended to be replaced.
olive oil does not perish rubber and is recommended for the seal on thetford porta potti doors . Not to mention almost every pantry has oilive oil .lol
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:58 PM   #6
amohrfeld

Nitrile is very chemical compatible. Urethane is a little less but still works well with many chemicals.

The issue is there are so many greases available that it is possible to grab something that will degrade the cushions.

I've used a number of different greases in the cups and never had a problem. But I only use standard general-purpose type greases. These greases are compatible with o-ring material, which is the same polymer as cushions.

I also use grease or anti-size on my Snyder king pins and have not had an issue with the cushions.

That said, your safest bet is still a silicon valve-assembly type grease. Or you can get a silicon grease from a pool supply store.

I personally like a thicker grease because it lasts a little longer.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tislord View Post
Pivot cups are really cheap. I paid ine rink $1.00 for four and the other rink owners just gave them to me. You can change them in ten minutes if your motivated by session time. No need to extend their life.
Old July 14th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I use suspension/chassis/disc brake grease. Aka Valvoine Synpower (NLGI-2)grease on all the stuff I do for skates (not bearings, oil for that). Never had a problem with it degrading anything. Be it urethane cushions/bushings, or the rubber bushed pivots in cheaper plates.

I usually apply it with a Qtip. Thin film on all moving surfaces, such as the point of contact between your cushion/bushings and the truck as well as the pivot pin.

About every 3 months I recheck everything. sometimes longer if I forget lol. I just save it to do for a rainy day, like cleaning bearings when theres not much else going on.