S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old June 27th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #1
dthamm
Half-Fast

Default Acute, severe ankle pain - what happened?

Really hoping for some insight here - I went out for a fairly typical 10 mile skate with a buddy and came home with really significant severe left medial malleolus pain. 4 days later and it's not much better. NOTHING CHANGED - same boots, frames, wheels, frame placement, type of workout. Could it all be from a random glitch in how I laced up????

Back story - I had the same (chronic) problem about 3 years ago, and saw a podiatrist who diagnosed me with a big fallen arch on the left side. Got a custom orthotic made, and when I finally made the jump to customs I stood on the orthotic while being molded so the countour is part of the footbed of my customs. All is well for 3 years until now.

Any thoughts from the brain trust? Back to the podiatrist?
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Stroopwafel

I have some issue with my arch but small compared to you. Just a small glitch with lacing up can cause me a lot of pain and with all my sport shoes. There is a delicate balance between (desirable) tight and to tight. If I ignore the pain some times it goes away after some minutes of moving. But more often it will worsen and that pain can also remain a few days. I learned the hard way to really take time for lacing up. I'll never do it in a rush and if it doesn't feels right I'll stop no matter what and do it over. Also I try to keep my feet strong with occasional long distance walking and walking barefoot at home. And if it's not to expensive a check up with a podiatrist could be good anyway.
Stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #3
gopherfan

By context I'm guessing medial malleolus pain is related to the foot arch. I have high arches. I use green Superfeet insoles in my running shoes. My Pinnacle customs work well for my arches as molded (tangentially, I'm wondering why the orthotic shape wasn't built into your custom boot?). Additionally, I bypass all the lace holes between the bottom two and the top three. I can't remember if I started doing that before switching to customs from stock boots (probably after because customs remove the slack that tight lacing compensates for). The lace holes I do use let me tighten down the heel without pressing down over the arch (leading to arch pain). I've also heard of people using separate laces for the top and bottom lace holes to create different zones of tightness. I actually should try that set-up because my current lacing does loosen through a skate.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #4
onurleft

My advice - Don't mess around with it, see your primary care physician or sports medicine doctor.

I went thru similar with my lateral malleolus. Acute pain at the knobby center, which also moved around to just above it. PCP said tendon or stress fracture, Orthopod said possibly both, MRI revealed peroneal tendinosis. Not much fun.

Good luck, and I hope it's only an arch support issue.

Be well.
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote