S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 19th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Bones Ceramic Bearings?

Well, I finally broke down and bought a set. In a previous test I was 15 feet short of making it to the end of the floor/lengthwise with one push from the opposite end of the floor.

With the new bearings I could make it to the end of the floor lengthwise with one push from the opposite end of the floor. So, that was about 5% increase in distance.

So, I highly recommend and feel it is worth it if you want/need the extra roll to invest in the best possible bearings you can buy. I recommend the Bones Ceramic Bearings.They cost about 250 dollars for a set.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Well, I finally broke down and bought a set. In a previous test I was 15 feet short of making it to the end of the floor/lengthwise with one push from the opposite end of the floor.

With the new bearings I could make it to the end of the floor lengthwise with one push from the opposite end of the floor. So, that was about 5% increase in distance.

So, I highly recommend and feel it is worth it if you want/need the extra roll to invest in the best possible bearings you can buy. I recommend the Bones Ceramic Bearings.They cost about 250 dollars for a set.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
wow they are 250 a set now geez, they were half of that 10 years ago. i think they are overpriced, but if u like them they are worth it i guess. good luck
Old February 19th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

I've used em' for years, have several sets, quieter, no need to worry about water, replaceable parts, it's the little things that add up, like orthotics underfoot, ultra thin merino wool socks, excellent fitting boots, makes for a better experience.
Don't forget the bones speed creme, another "the best" product.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:22 PM   #4
emtdpf

Quote:

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Are you sure its the bearings? And not that you are a stronger skater?

Just saying... this could be a false positive......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 05:44 PM   #5
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Don't forget the bones speed creme, another "the best" product.
Works wonders in bearings of all brands and materials.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile I'm pretty sure the Ceramic Bearings are the best!

Same skates, but I did change out the wheels from the Bones 103A to the stickier Bones 101A. On this particular day my legs were weak and not much strength. I rolled slowly from one end of the rink to the other with one push. I did not feel I was going to make it to the other end. But the bearings just rolled and rolled and rolled, ever so slowly until I got to the other end of the floor. Remember I am now using slower and stickier wheels so I should not make it to the other end of floor with just one push.

With the regular bearings they seems to roll like crazy, fast, but slowly slowed down and stopped.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:30 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Same skates, but I did change out the wheels from the Bones 103A to the stickier Bones 101A. On this particular day my legs were weak and not much strength. I rolled slowly from one end of the rink to the other with one push. I did not feel I was going to make it to the other end. But the bearings just rolled and rolled and rolled, ever so slowly until I got to the other end of the floor. Remember I am now using slower and stickier wheels so I should not make it to the other end of floor with just one push.

With the regular bearings they seems to roll like crazy, fast, but slowly slowed down and stopped.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
just going by durometer ignores other critical factors, such as urethane condition, hub alignment and overall how round the wheels are.

Also just because you have 99, 101, or 103, does not mean that they actually hit their advertised rating either. One must compare the bearings as the only change, also are you sure the old bearings are as "good" in tolerances and cleanliness as the new ones? all these things matter.
Old March 31st, 2017, 04:19 AM   #8
DMFP

I was fairly disappointed with by Bones Swiss 6--considerably more expensive than Twincam ILQ9's, but only ever so slightly faster.

That being said, both are quite noticeably faster than generic Abec 7's
DMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 10:20 AM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFP View Post
I was fairly disappointed with by Bones Swiss 6--considerably more expensive than Twincam ILQ9's, but only ever so slightly faster.

That being said, both are quite noticeably faster than generic Abec 7's
i think you will find that the bones will last longer, should be 7 balls for the swiss i thought. good luck
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:37 PM   #10
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
i think you will find that the bones will last longer, should be 7 balls for the swiss i thought. good luck
I have three sets of Bones Swiss 608 that are at least 10 years old and are still as fast as the day they were unpackaged. They actually roll better than the two recent sets of Acer Ceramic hybrids that I bought about a year ago.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote