S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 19th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Shuffle Skating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
I'm okay with the basic fast shuffle and getting through packs, but where it gets me is when some extra footwork is introduced (more towards jam skating). Nope. I've got a little bit of it, but not much... although there are a couple of teenagers at my rink that would probably give me some pointers if I asked them.

Most of the people in my general age group skate the same way, more or less (the main group of us learned at a different rink, and there's a couple of us that learned at a third rink that's no longer open). You can definitely tell immediately what rink someone in this area learned to skate at

Yes, you can definately tell which rink around here as well.

So, my shuffle is bouncing off inside edges with legs slightly or more than slightly spread (depending on beat). Then I bounce off outside edges right foot behind crossed legs. Repeate outside bounce. Repeat cross legged bounce except the left foot back. I shuffle my uper body back and forth for effect and carving my line of travel.

But most seem to have more of a scissor shuffle step. I don't think I quite do that one correctly.

I am doing mohawk-bounce-mohawk at faster and faster speeds for the turn around step.

I kind of do that one toe slide then shuffle (just one foot sliding the other is still four in the floor).

Some lines do cross-overs around the corners, some stay 8 pn the floor at all times. I'm better at the cross-overs, but I like the shuffle around for effect.

Anyway, I'm getting more in step as I'm invited to shuffle more often and it's a lot of fun.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #2
Fancy-Kerrigan

Shuffling is fun and very specific to an area or rink. I love joining in the shuffle line of experienced skaters at different rinks. Although, I usually loose patience with the speed and create my own shuffle line. I try not to run over the guy in front of me for one song. Only place this didn't happen was at Galaxy Davie on adult night. The shuffle line was more like a pace line with bounce. Skate Reflections in the Orlando area has some fast shufflers too, but I've never been there where there wasn't 403 kiddos (biological speed bumps).
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Derrick

I'm afraid my shuffle is more like a forwards re-x right now. I'm fast, not the fastest, but fast. I can keep up with 90% of the shufflers. The few thwt are faster only go their fastest on certain songs, so everyone can play along.

The DJ's at Roller Dome are instructed to teach shuffle to anyone who asks. They generally do, but their instruction is breifer for some than others (they are humans).

I'd probably be a bit faster if I did it correctly. I think the difference in technique keeps me from staying synced up. I'll keep trying to conform, but that's not exactly my strong suit.

Actually, I'd like to be able to do it correctly, it's quite fun.
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I think the difference in technique keeps me from staying synced up. I'll keep trying to conform, but that's not exactly my strong suit.

Actually, I'd like to be able to do it correctly, it's quite fun.
Everyone I know puts their own distinct spin on it, especially since the shuffle skaters I know all learned in different rinks. The fun part for me is adapting to each person's quirks. One of my skate friends has excellent rhythm, another one I have to get on to occasionally because he's off by a beat, etc.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #5
Derrick

Quote:
Everyone I know puts their own distinct spin on it, especially since the shuffle skaters I know all learned in different rinks. The fun part for me is adapting to each person's quirks. One of my skate friends has excellent rhythm, another one I have to get on to occasionally because he's off by a beat, etc.
I got some instruction this weekend. I know about putting your on spin on it but I think mine was way out there. I still do the forward rex bounce but Like you say, I like to be able to shuffle with the locals using their style. It's also nice when someone will teach you.
Old January 28th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I got some instruction this weekend. I know about putting your on spin on it but I think mine was way out there. I still do the forward rex bounce but Like you say, I like to be able to shuffle with the locals using their style. It's also nice when someone will teach you.
Well the weird thing here is that whoever is leading is generally the person that sets not only the pace, but the rhythm as well. So... everyone else in line adapts. It gets really interesting when we change leaders mid-song.

For my own style, I don't go QUITE as fast as my other shuffle friends, and I don't use a lot of fancy moves. What I DO has been described by more than one person as gliding (because they have this wrong idea that what I'm doing is effortless when the reverse is often true). I also have my default line around the floor and when faced with a pack that I know we won't make it through, I've pretty much got a default path that I'll take and everyone knows it so there is minimal disruption when I'm leading. So what I lack in flamboyancy I make up for in consistency and it shows... the kids are usually really entertained when watching.
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Well the weird thing here is that whoever is leading is generally the person that sets not only the pace, but the rhythm as well. So... everyone else in line adapts. It gets really interesting when we change leaders mid-song.

For my own style, I don't go QUITE as fast as my other shuffle friends, and I don't use a lot of fancy moves. What I DO has been described by more than one person as gliding (because they have this wrong idea that what I'm doing is effortless when the reverse is often true). I also have my default line around the floor and when faced with a pack that I know we won't make it through, I've pretty much got a default path that I'll take and everyone knows it so there is minimal disruption when I'm leading. So what I lack in flamboyancy I make up for in consistency and it shows... the kids are usually really entertained when watching.
f

Yea, the Dome have some of those skaters that are going really fast and it looks effortless. That's a great look. The speed team and shuffle have merged a bit. I'm not their where it seems effortless for me, I'm obviously working to keep up.
Old January 30th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Kassus

Default Shuffle Line

Apparently (according to an observer on the wall) we had a line of 6 going last night. I knew we had at least 4 when I checked my periphreal vision going around the corners, but I didn't know about the last 2. I was second in line though, so it was hard to tell... was also more concerned with keeping up and maintaining the rhythm for the next person behind me (especially since it was my adult daughter and I didn't want her tripping up and/or wrecking). Anyway. It was awesome!
Old August 26th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #9
Gee

I tried staying with the pack but found it hard to keep skating without running past the pack. I think I either need to learn to waste energy on my pushes, hold back on my pushes or get a slower set of wheels. Currently, I am using an old set of Hyper Dance Plus.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #10
rinkraptor

When the music is right, I ooze all over the floor with a style that is unique and frequently complimented. I throw in some heel-toe turns, daffy splits and kick-turns, backwards shuffling, etc., try to make it as loose and fluid as possible, and always come up with an interesting shuffle routine. Many old-school shuffle skaters are missing the point, trying to shuffle at very high speeds, and this cuts their footwork down to almost nothing. Well, you can bet they never received any applause or admiration for their skating as I frequently have for mine !
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 07:04 PM   #11
rinkraptor

If all you are doing is flying around the floor alternately lifting one foot then the other, you are not really shuffle-skating. You are only doing what is called a chasse', there is no actual shuffling of skates involved. Many here consider this shuffle-skating, but in the words of 'RinkRaptor Dundee': "You call that a shuffle ? This is a shuffle !
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote