S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 15th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #1
Mitchell P.

Default How do you like your skates to fit?

I have had fit issues with most of my skates, and am wondering how other skaters like their fit.

While most boot makers recommend a snug fit - snugger than your tennis shoes would be - I also see many of the most skilled rhythm skaters wearing their skates really loosely. Some guys just slip into their boots and go, without much lacing. Or the shearling tongue folded over the front, etc.

Thx.
Mitchell P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell P. View Post
I have had fit issues with most of my skates, and am wondering how other skaters like their fit.

While most boot makers recommend a snug fit - snugger than your tennis shoes would be - I also see many of the most skilled rhythm skaters wearing their skates really loosely. Some guys just slip into their boots and go, without much lacing. Or the shearling tongue folded over the front, etc.

Thx.
Snug. Three reasons jumps, spins and three turns. The forth reason is I'm not great at the first three ...... yet. I like my ankles.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #3
JHB
Shuffling Member

I prefer my boots snug. I feel I have much better control over the skates, rather than the skates being on their own program.

Having said that, some of the "regulars" I see at the rinks I skate, have their boots loose to the point that they could kick a skate off their foot. They're also excellent skaters, so it's working for them, even though I personally can't see how they make it work.

Bottom line: it's what feels best for you.
Old August 19th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Loose Mostly for Going Forward

Hi Mitchell P,

Well I have loose fitting skates in the toe section. Hate the toes being cramped up squeezing on me, or folded on up. Skated this way with loose fitting toe skates for decades, since the 90s, and I skate the pants off most skaters, young and old. My foot is kind of funny shaped SO not normal.

Now the heels and the back of the foot and the front of the foot are tight -OR- Snug ---So when going forward or the often backwards I control the skate, rather than it flopping around on me.

I am working, like forever on another boot that will make it more comfortable to skate long term backwards. The biggest problem with a loose toe section is that backwards skating is not so much fun. BTW a fit to this better boot has been difficult due to my toes and foot shape.

Anyway that is my personal experience

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 20th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Derrick

Quote:

Thx.
The boot makers are not making this stuff up. They know their craft. The only slightly looser place should be the instep. You need to flex that a bit. Otherwise you'll need to bend at the waist. Don't do that.

Don't let the sneaker skate fool you. They are really, really comfortable. I know, I built skate out of house slippers. But, these are mere novelty skates. One can do a few tricks on them, but I'm not jumping them. You'll three turn right out of them if you go at it normal speed.

If you jump up and land on one foot do you really want your foot at an undetermined location in the skate? It's a good way to break an ankle.

Support your foot. If I may be so bold, get a high top leather boot as well. I know it looks uncool but..... well the manufacturers just aren't making this stuff up.

If you like eight on the floor all the time or even toes you can get away with Vanillas or equivalent. But ...... frankly, I think you are limiting yourself if you go that route. Just my opinion.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #6
Mitchell P.

Excellent feedback from all, thank you.

I don't do jumps & am only novice in spinning, but I do prefer the high top boots to the sneaker style. My last boots were Riedell 220 Retros, size 12.5. They were great, but my left foot - which is slightly shorter - often cramped up. Long story short, those skates are GONE & I'm looking to replace with a better fit.

I ordered the same 220s a 1/2 size down, and they fit better. Yet there is STILL a 1/2 inch of extra space on the insoles when I take them out & stand on them.

I also ordered the Edea Classicas in a few sizes. I sent back along with tracings of my foot so that Skates US can widen the sz 295 to my feet.

We'll see how that goes...
Mitchell P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Derrick

Quote:

I don't do jumps & am only novice in spinning, but I do prefer the high top boots to the sneaker style. My last boots were Riedell 220 Retros, size 12.5. They were great, but my left foot - which is slightly shorter - often cramped up. Long story short, those skates are GONE & I'm looking to replace with a better fit.

I ordered the same 220s a 1/2 size down, and they fit better. Yet there is STILL a 1/2 inch of extra space on the insoles when I take them out & stand on them.

I also ordered the Edea Classicas in a few sizes. I sent back along with tracings of my foot so that Skates US can widen the sz 295 to my feet.

We'll see how that goes...
You don't have to order the boots the same size. The same style........ that might be good. Get what you really need.
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Get what works Great for Both Feet

Hi Again,

Quote:

I ordered the same 220s a 1/2 size down, and they fit better. Yet there is STILL a 1/2 inch of extra space on the insoles when I take them out & stand on them. o - o .
Derrick says it all when he says get what you need.

If you can spend the time, which I have not done, make sure each boot fits perfectly to your foot and you can go forwards or backwards like you had on a set of good fitting gloves.

It seems like from this note you need special fitting on your left foot. It used to cramp up because you monkey toed inside of your boot. Yet you do not want to punish the good foot for the cramping foot. I do, and many do have the same problem, with one foot being slightly larger than the other.

Cheers you are on the Path.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:23 AM   #9
Gee

I like my boots to fit snug for better control over the skates. I do not want any room for play in my skating boots. My skating boots are a size smaller than my shoes.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote