S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old July 13th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #1
larryoracing

Smile First Private Lesson in 40 years...LOL!

Well,

I guess it was time to take a lesson.

Where do we start?...LOL!

Dawn wanted to look at some edges and also the dances I would skate in competition.

I expressed interest in learning how to swing. I was having trouble doing a simple ROF swing.

She said "I can help you on that.". And sure enough she did.

I told her what I thought about the new style of dancing compared to 40 years ago. In short her answer was if you don't skate with big deep edges, you will never make it/get judged very high. It is what it is and that is how dances are skated now.

So, I decided to diagram what I feel the dances look like on paper.

See the following link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140731...posted-public/

It actually took me a long time to draw this and it is the 1st dance I think I will learn in the Veterans Dance Division for people over 55.

1) In general all center lobes aim for the side walls and all barrier lobes aim for the outside walls.

2) Swing on the down stroke or after the top of the circle. I thought this was a big help for me...lol!

3) Get power even from strokes that don't look like power strokes, line inner edges.

4) In general my swings were like pendulums....swing forward and I fell backwards.... not good. Dawn gave me a few hints to counter that.

I thought the lesson went well, considering I haven't taken one for while and I think she liked teaching me.

More to come and good luck with Nationals.

Larry O
larryoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 02:54 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Well,

I guess it was time to take a lesson.

Where do we start?...LOL!

Dawn wanted to look at some edges and also the dances I would skate in competition.

I expressed interest in learning how to swing. I was having trouble doing a simple ROF swing.

She said "I can help you on that.". And sure enough she did.

I told her what I thought about the new style of dancing compared to 40 years ago. In short her answer was if you don't skate with big deep edges, you will never make it/get judged very high. It is what it is and that is how dances are skated now.

So, I decided to diagram what I feel the dances look like on paper.

See the following link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140731...posted-public/

It actually took me a long time to draw this and it is the 1st dance I think I will learn in the Veterans Dance Division for people over 55.

1) In general all center lobes aim for the side walls and all barrier lobes aim for the outside walls.

2) Swing on the down stroke or after the top of the circle. I thought this was a big help for me...lol!

3) Get power even from strokes that don't look like power strokes, line inner edges.

4) In general my swings were like pendulums....swing forward and I fell backwards.... not good. Dawn gave me a few hints to counter that.

I thought the lesson went well, considering I haven't taken one for while and I think she liked teaching me.

More to come and good luck with Nationals.

Larry O
That's some setious diagram. Shwew.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Derrick it's not that complicated, it just looks that way?

Hey Derrick,

Thanks for reading the post. I think I made it look a little more complicated than it is.

1) But I had to go through the process and map/diagram it myself as I saw the dance being skated on the floor.

2) Not that you care but in the old days we never crossed into on-coming traffic as you skated a dance. But now-a-days it is the style. I don't know why but it is not important. Either you skate as the judges want or you get graded down. Simple enough, right?

3) It is very difficult for me to learn these new dances. My mind wants to start skating steps I use to skate 40 years ago. So, it has taken me 3-4 days to remember this dance and skate it with not too many mistakes/going to steps I skated 40 years ago.

4) I have 5 more dances to learn.

5) But this is what I have learned. Transferring the knowledge to my freestyle. Is dance or figures related to freestyle? I think it is.

a) So, here's my question. If you are going to skate dance 100 mph. These dance skaters are moving very fast and cover the whole floor effortlessly, skating these huge barrier lobes and center lobes. Then why would a freestyle skater skate 2 mph when they jump???????????????????

a) That's the problem I see with the free stylist. They skate two slow when they do a jump. They don't do this when they spin? So the lesson I have learned is you must skate fast when doing freestyle, if you want to look good or even look half as good a normal Dance Skater.

Sincerely,

Larry O and thanks again for reading the post and responding.
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Ancient1

YEP! Like I always say. SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND! Speed is your friend for many reasons. The 2 biggest reasons are:
1. Energy transference - Speed down the floor will translate into time and height in the air. Try it... go walking speed and try to do a jump. now go medium speed and do a jump. now go as fast as you can safely and do the jump. Speed makes a big difference and it looks better.

2. Falling while moving fast tends to not hurt as bad if you know how to fall. The fall is not just going straight down but at an angle which will allow a roll or a slide to absorb the energy.

It's nice to hear you say what I have been saying all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Hey Derrick,

a) So, here's my question. If you are going to skate dance 100 mph. These dance skaters are moving very fast and cover the whole floor effortlessly, skating these huge barrier lobes and center lobes. Then why would a freestyle skater skate 2 mph when they jump???????????????????

a) That's the problem I see with the free stylist. They skate two slow when they do a jump. They don't do this when they spin? So the lesson I have learned is you must skate fast when doing freestyle, if you want to look good or even look half as good a normal Dance Skater.

Sincerely,

Larry O and thanks again for reading the post and responding.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 10:45 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Took my first ever Figure Lesson Today...lol!

I don't know how many people have ever took a figure lesson..ie..going around the those black 8' circles painted on the skating floor at your local rink?

But today I took my first ever figure lesson in my whole life.

Dawn gave me the lesson.

But, I thought it was great! I have never ever took a figure lesson and really I gave up on figures after my first two years of competition. It just wasn't important to me...ie... a waist of time and with so little time, I wanted to devote myself to something more important like Team Dance or my first love...Feestlyle.

Later I gave up on Team Dance skating. That was a big mistake, so I hope someday I can find a partner and get back into Team Dance Skating.

But, I will say this, I have a lot of fun taking lessons with Dawn. No question is too dumb. In the old days I didn't know what questions to ask. Today, I just ask anything I don't understand and Dawn always goes the extra mile to give me an answer that will help me skate better.

Good luck to all at Nationals.

Larry O