S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 30th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Skating Inside Edges:

I got a free lesson today, but I want to reimburse Dawn for the lesson. And by the way the rink/practice was a little quiet today. People seemed not to be happy. Don’t know if lessons weren’t going well, or people did not do well at regionals or what, but I skated on. I don’t have a pro yet, so maybe that’s why I’m still happy…LOL!

But anyhow I was practicing some inside edges/like the Collegiate down the straight- a-way. I always felt those were a weak point in my dance.

By the way did you ever think about how many edges there are in dance?
Not many.

Forward Inside Edges:
LIF, RIF

Forward Outside Edges:
LOF, ROF

Backward Inside Edges:
LIB, RIB

Backward Outside Edges:
ROB, LOB

But guess what, most of the dances in Adult Competition… Esquire, Veterans & Masters are forward only skating dances. So, there are only 4 forward edges you need to learn. So when you practice Fwd Inside edges, that is 50% of the edges you do in Adult competition. Hmmm?

So, I ask you how important are forward inside edges? I think the answer is “Very Important”!.

But, anyhow I was skating these Inside Fwd Skating Edges. LIF, RIF, LIF, RIF, etc and Dawn skates by and says “Larry, can I help you with your inside edges?” I said “sure”. The reason I was practicing them because I felt they needed help.

Anyhow Dawn was saying “you are turning/twisting your shoulders to perform these edges”, “You need to use your hips to guide the edges” , “kind of like on a figure circle Skating “Outwards” then “Back”. I think that was a great hint/help. I’m not saying I’m doing great inside edges but it gave me a baseline for improvement. I tried practicing what she was trying to teach me for the next 20 minutes and then practice ended. I felt some improvement..LOL! At least I knew what I was trying to do and really I don't think I ever knew or just plain forgot after 40 years...lol!

1) I know on all the YouTube videos, Joe always states the shoulders are connected to the hips and wherever the hips go the shoulders should follow.

2) When I was trying to learn how to ride horses, one of my adventures in life, my buddy who was an excellent horseman in “Cutting” horses, “Reining” Horses and “Trail” horses said “Larry, you are too stiff in your hips”, “riding horses is like making love..lol”. It’s the same hip action and you have to go with the flow…lol!

2a) Have you ever watched someone riding a horse there is a lot of truth to that statement and it seems Dance is controlled by the hips also. I got a feeling even if your hips guide the Inside Skating edges, you also have to be flexible enough to make the edges turn “out” then come “back” to baseline...LOL!

Anyways that’s my two cents on skating Inside Edges.
Happy practice and getting ready for Nationals.

Larry O
larryoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:12 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Ice Videos showing how to do deep edges.

I found the following Ice videos showing how to do inside, outside, fwd and backward edges. I finally figured out where all these giant edges came from in roller skating. It all seems to make sense now…lol!

Fwd Inside Edges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H6D9wy5QD4

Fwd Outside Edges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLwxY442Iw

Deep outside Backward edges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaogC-mLiw0

Published on Jan 25, 2016
This video startszI with our California adventures after we finished skating in the Pacific Sectionals in LA. Then we talk about some of the challenges you will face when learning deep edges (not just the backward outside edges).

Back Deep Inside edges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpw0S8AUIhI
Old July 1st, 2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Derrick

Default Very nice videos

I noticed that I had neglected back inside edges a bit. So I have been doing a lot more practice on them in my last couple of sessions. I'm doing rather well with them, it's nice to know I have been doing it correctly. Of course if someone was watching me they may correct me. But I feel like I was doing what was in the video.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:25 AM   #4
larryoracing

Smile That's incredible Derrick!

I don't think I have ever practiced Inside Back Edges. I don' even know if the videos pertain to roller skating, but it makes one think and wonder...maybe they do relate to roller skating. I think it is helpful to try to figure out if it's good information or not. The Videos seem good.

By the way. I have been practicing a lot of edges, three turns and Mohawk turns. I mean hours of them since I'm a "Club" member now and have quite a few hours available to me to practice.

I have been very scared to try any jumps with rotation. But today I wanted to try. I tried a ROB 1 rotation loop jump. Amazingly I hit it. I was blown away.
I didn't even try to do it. Just jumped it like a baby/sissy and landed it clean.

I attribute all those hours of practicing edges over and over again which gave me the strength to perform this jump effortlessly.

Larry O and happy jumping...LOL!

Last edited by larryoracing; July 4th, 2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Derrick

Default Congrats aon the loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

I don't think I have ever practiced Inside Back Edges. I don' even know if the videos pertain to roller skating, but it makes one think and wonder...maybe they do relate to roller skating. I think it is helpful to try to figure out if it's good information or not. The Videos seem good.

By the way. I have been practicing a lot of edges, three turns and Mohawk turns. I mean hours of them since I'm a "Club" member now and have quite a few hours available to me to practice.

I have been very scared to try any jumps with rotation. But today I wanted to try. I tried a LOB 1 rotation loop jump. Amazingly I hit it. I was blown away.
I didn't even try to do it. Just jumped it like a baby/sissy and landed it clean.

I attribute all those hours of practicing edges over and over again which gave me the strength to perform this jump effortlessly.

Larry O and happy jumping...LOL!
Wow Larry that's awesome! I feel like the loop takes a lot of good technique and skill. I tried it off skate, it's pretty tough, I wouldn't try it on skate.

My next jump is still the mapes. I can get 1.5 rotations off skate and still over rotate. I know; worthless on skates. I'm just measuring my progress by doing that. It's really easy to do that one rotation off skate with ankle weights. A bit hard to check though (I need to re-read Ancient ones instructions). It's just when I "Go for it" on skate, I hit the toe stop wierdly and kill my rotation. If I do a hlf mapes I hit it right and over rotate quite a bit. In fact I sometimes need to three turn back to backwards skating. So it's there if I can psychologically get it right.

So to the back inside edge. I'm almost embarrassed to write my reasoning any more. I often take 2 from one grab bag, 4 form another and get 9. But any way my goal here is to improve my IB spin. Ancient One pointed out that I was using a trainer on the wrong edge and that is indeed the case. So now on skate when I two foot spin my right is actaually on the outside toe when it should be IB. It works, it's wrong, but on a two foot spin the left foot is compensating. I can still pick up the left and spin CW

Wierdly, and I should stop this, but doubt I ever will. When I do a regular one foot spin entry I tend to use the left foot. I can use the right but... well whatever is working best that session really. Anyway, I can actually perform the spin that should be IB on my outside toe with the back wheels lifted. Is it a good spin? no. A couple of rotations, three at it's very best. So that is grab bag one.

Grab bag two was I noticed that I tend to use outside edges when going backwards. Oh, I can ride the inside back edge around the corner, but if I'm going deep it's outside edge or cross rolls. Even arebeque backwards spiral (I usally turn that one back to the inside because of normal session flow) So I wanted to improve my balance on the IB. So, I tried deep edges. Also, I'm running the inside edge in as tight of spiral as I can. Doing little circles in the center. I'm sure people think I'm crazy.

Grab bag three (there was no third grab bag in my original metaphor, so artistic license here). Your friend told you that the edge was with the hip. Yes, I learned this in rotation even three turns but never really thought about it for regular edging or spins. So I went back to the spin trainer (rounded piece of board) and tried to get my opposite hip over the performing toe. It appears to work, I ride IB.

My feet naturally point out a bit (I can side surf like crazy, I even use the dots painted on the skating floor like cones in session, even doing back foot and front in opposite rotation circles around the 'cones' with either foot leading. And I got either outside spread eagle edge around the corners. (I've digressed into bragging...if they actually put cones on the dots I'm sure I'd hit most of them, and my apologies to actual slalom skaters).

So, I've been trying to force my hip to the inside more pidgeon toed. Just balancing and standing and stuff. I'm excited to see if my conjecture pays off in the rink.

Congrats again on the loop, that's a real accomplishment.
Old July 4th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile

Quote:
Wow Larry that's awesome! I feel like the loop takes a lot of good technique and skill. I tried it off skate, it's pretty tough, I wouldn't try it on skate.
Quote:
My next jump is still the mapes. I can get 1.5 rotations off skate and still over rotate. I know; worthless on skates. I'm just measuring my progress by doing that. It's really easy to do that one rotation off skate with ankle weights.

1.5 mapes is not worthless. It’s actually one of the optional jumps in the Silver 5th Freestlye Proficiency Test. It’s just that it is a uncommon jump to perform. Most jumps performed landing going backwards.

Quote:
A bit hard to check though (I need to re-read Ancient ones instructions).
A check motion becomes easy/easier when you put all your effort into jumping upwards rather than around-wards. The up motion make the check motion a lot easier. A check motion is just a way to slow the motion down. If you are jumping up it tends to slow the rotation down so you have a chance of landing on the LOB landing foot.

Quote:
It's just when I "Go for it" on skate, I hit the toe stop wierdly and kill my rotation.
One thing that might help is to screw the toes stops down until they almost touch the floor. A lot of people do this. It makes it easier to stab and also it makes it easier to cheat on the landing by rocking on your toe stop as a safety move. Lot of people land on their toestops so they can land the jump securely/without fear of falling.

I
Quote:
f I do a half mapes I hit it right and over rotate quite a bit. In fact I sometimes need to three turn back to backwards skating. So it's there if I can psychologically get it right.
That’s why it’s so important to jump upwards. It slow the rotation down so you have a lower tendency of over rotating.

Quote:
So to the back inside edge. I'm almost embarrassed to write my reasoning any more. I often take 2 from one grab bag, 4 form another and get 9. But any way my goal here is to improve my IB spin. Ancient One pointed out that I was using a trainer on the wrong edge and that is indeed the case. So now on skate when I two foot spin my right is actaually on the outside toe when it should be IB. It works, it's wrong, but on a two foot spin the left foot is compensating. I can still pick up the left and spin CW
I can’t do two foot spins very well. In fact, I have not tried one yet in any skating I have done in a total of 7 months before and after I got sick and stopped skating a little over a year ago.

Tell me if this makes any sense if you were going to do a RIB spin on one foot, you would start with the ROF, do three turn and spin on the RIB edge?

Quote:
Wierdly, and I should stop this, but doubt I ever will. When I do a regular one foot spin entry I tend to use the left foot. I can use the right but... well whatever is working best that session really. Anyway, I can actually perform the spin that should be IB on my outside toe with the back wheels lifted. Is it a good spin? no. A couple of rotations, three at it's very best. So that is grab bag one.
Spinning on your toe is called something, but I don’t remember the name for that type of spin. But what you are describing sound a little weird. I will have to think about that one…LOL!

A lot of the stuff you are explaining is hard for me to visualize. Being a normal type of freestylist most of my spins are normal. One foot spins/sit spins and Camels.

A lot of the advanced stuff is Heel spins, only the rear to wheels on one skate and Broken ankle spins using the outside on two wheels on a one foot spin, Camel Spin and sit spin.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Larry O
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

One thing that might help is to screw the toes stops down until they almost touch the floor. A lot of people do this. It makes it easier to stab and also it makes it easier to cheat on the landing by rocking on your toe stop as a safety move. Lot of people land on their toestops so they can land the jump securely/without fear of falling.

That’s why it’s so important to jump upwards. It slow the rotation down so you have a lower tendency of over rotating.

Tell me if this makes any sense if you were going to do a RIB spin on one foot, you would start with the ROF, do three turn and spin on the RIB edge?

Spinning on your toe is called something, but I don’t remember the name for that type of spin. But what you are describing sound a little weird. I will have to think about that one…LOL!

A lot of the stuff you are explaining is hard for me to visualize. Being a normal type of freestylist most of my spins are normal. One foot spins/sit spins and Camels.

Larry O
Thanks for the jump tip. I'll try lowering the stop and jumping higher.

In the spin description, that is exactly what I'm attempting. Though sometimes I use an entirely different (not as good, but really gets me spinning) entry. But getting the correct entry down would be my preffered. I've muffed it up so many different ways. Currently, I get the ROF and it is set nicely. I get the free foot around nicely, but I seem to not be getting the three turn in there. I can do that three turn but perhaps in my excitement I fail while spinning. Thus I'm on the wrong edge, well really on my toes, but not clear up to the stop. I get some spin but it's not the quality I want. I tried once in last session to just jump the three turn, it kinda worked, but the jury is still out as I only tried it once.

I don't want to get in the habbit of spinning on my stops or landing on my stops. Although I've seen a lot of toe stop spinners, the spin seems pretty good, but I wish to do even better. I like getting dizzy, always have. It's pretty tough to get me dizzy though.

I realize I have a hard time describing what I'm doing. I wish I had more in rink video. Splitting the meandering descriptions, and possible dillusions, from reality is further aggrevated by my poor use of english. But I do like to blog (not as much as I like to skate). Video would be best.

The tennis court will have to do for video though. Things like side surfing is a bit tough to show. The sticky wheels are fat and it's hard to get back edges. But it's good enough to show progress on my IB entry. Spin is arrested by the surface and soft wheels though. And there is no scoot in the set, so it's a bit tougher. Rain today, but I'll owe you some video.

I'm going to go read some more mapes description, it helps to reread after I've tried a few.