S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 6th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #61
Derrick

Default Finally got to Lima Oh, the rink was awesome.

So there I was and my Wife actually came with me. She sakted off and on. Mostly off. Well since we were on a trip I thought, "hey we have the camera and my wife is sitting on the sidelines." So I asked her to get some vid. Now my wife has never taken vid and she was more interested in talking to short stragglers that were sidelined. The conversations were hilarious. But I can't upload due to the background music copyright thing.

Anyway, she videoed for about a half hour. And I got a a lot of floors and ceilings and random feet. I aksed her about it and she said, "you wanted me to record you the whole time? I just kinda pointed the camera that way when you came around the corner." I'm clearly not as fascinating as I think I am.

So of the 2 or3 IB spins I got 0. Got one waltz-jump though although the entry is rather plaid. You'll see what I mean at about 1 minute. This is all I could salvage.
https://youtu.be/--es6avKGx0

Self analysis because I must: If you seen my prior videos this is much better. But I'm still entering a bit leaned forward. I'm not sure if my feet should be closer together on the developement stage either. But all in all I'm kinda pleased with it.

In fact, I'm a bit leaned forward when going forward it seems. Not alot just enough that I should straghten it out. Might have to walk around with a book on my head. I once took a hike with a frizbee on my head, had it there for several miles (forgot my hat and my hair is real thin) forgot that it was up there and asked the kids where it was. They might of laughed a bit too hard.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #62
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the video, we have all been waiting for it...LOL!

Well, Derrick I have been thinking about your posts lately, jumping, etc and people responses to you, like the Ancient1 and I have come to the conclusion that I differ in my advice to you.

Ancient1 advice to me is the correct advice, but I don’t think it is the correct advice for you.

You are not a strong skater, so you should not attack your jumps. For you I think a slower, much easier approach to jumping will give you the results you want…lol!

Your waltz jump to me is a more Creative Dance Step, rather than a hardcore Athletic leap into the air. So I think your approach is adequate and gets the job done.

Think of a Mapes jump, like a toe-waltz jump. So bring you right foot back, spin off the right toe stop and land in the waltz jump position. This is what we call a toe-waltz jump/not a single mapes, but you get credit of the single mapes.

Keep up the good work.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #63
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

You are not a strong skater, so you should not attack your jumps. For you I think a slower, much easier approach to jumping will give you the results you want…lol!
I agree with your premise, I'm not a strong skater (an axel is not on my radar). But I think this makes technique even more important. Which is ironic due to the lack of training I have access to. If I was a strong skater I'm sure I would of killed myself by now. lol

My take is do the best jump you know how and present like you just did a tripple.

I'm pleased with my current progress, but I can still do better.

Frankly, I started three years ago wanting to spin, not jump. I had no idea it was called freestyle. You convinced me to jump by telling me I shouldn't. lol-again. I'm not sorry in the least, jumping is thrilling, even if it's just little ones.

My next two jumps are mapes and two foot base 360.

I still love spinning most, although I'm not good at it. Well at least not on one foot. My two foot spin has gotten a lot better, just due to posture.
Old June 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #64
Derrick

Did about 25 waltzes last night. All at speed. All landed beautifully ROB. This is getting addictive now!
Old June 13th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #65
Derrick

Here's some video that has a couple waltz in it. Trying to check my progress. So any helps are appreciated.

https://youtu.be/WCKuEoNJU4Y
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #66
larryoracing

Smile Keep up the good work..LOL! and thanks for the video!

I really didn't see too much wrong or anything wrong with the Waltz jump.

But you know when you practice the 360 two foot jump, fwd with skates off?
Did you know how effortlessly you jumped that 360 revolution. You were actually rotating a little past 360 degrees.

So If you wanted to get stronger in the waltz jump you have to put more effort in it. Do you understand what I'm saying? You are not putting much effort into the waltz jump and it looks that way.

If you ever could really jump this waltz jump and land it with vigor, you could do and axel.

I throw and work my waltz jump like I'm throwing a double axel. This builds strength for when doing an axel.

If you ever learned a axel, you would realize it's all about rotation speed and pin point accuracy over and rotating axis.

That's why people go dead slow, can jump a few inches off the ground and do a single axel. Lot or rotation speed, like a top and they do an axel, with no speed and no height.

But usually to learn the axel you first have to jump higher and have stronger muscles to first get the feeling. Once you get the feeling you can slow the speed down and drastically lower the jumping height and still complete 1.5 revolutions.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I have not tried an axel yet, but I can throw that waltz jump 15 feet and land it. Just trying to build leg muslces on take off and landing for the real axel someday...LOL!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #67
Ancient1

Derrick,
You are doing much better. The waltz is looking good.

Larry,

Bloody Hell! You jumped 15 feet on a waltz jump... Talking about being a rooster. Sheesh! Earth to Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I really didn't see too much wrong or anything wrong with the Waltz jump.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I have not tried an axel yet, but I can throw that waltz jump 15 feet and land it. Just trying to build leg muslces on take off and landing for the real axel someday...LOL!
Old June 17th, 2016, 11:36 AM   #68
rwsz

Derrick really a big improvement on the waltz jump, when u try the mapes u are jumping the opposite direction like a lefty, r u lefty??
Old June 17th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #69
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Derrick,
You are doing much better. The waltz is looking good.

Larry,

Bloody Hell! You jumped 15 feet on a waltz jump... Talking about being a rooster. Sheesh! Earth to Larry!
Thanks guys that's encouraging. I do throw a bit harder in the rink (not 15 feet, sheesh) and I always audibly say the word "crank" when I rotate. It's really getting fun.
Old June 17th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #70
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Derrick really a big improvement on the waltz jump, when u try the mapes u are jumping the opposite direction like a lefty, r u lefty??
No, right handed

I really should do something about that reverse direction stuff. I can never decide to spin left or right either. I enter better left, but spin better right. I'll never get a combo this way though.