S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #1
LucasShmucas

Default Wheel advice for beginner

Hi. I hope you can help me. I have been bitten by the bug and am suffering badly with skate-fever. I only started skating on quads four weeks ago, but I have completely fallen for it and find myself obsessing about dancing on skates.

I've picked things up pretty quickly so far and can do some spins and turns and a basic shuffle, and am getting better at balancing on two wheels on each skate. I've also cleared a space in my shed to make a practice floor.

I would really like to get good at the jb style, although I also like to shuffle too. What wheels would you recommend for me? I'm guessing small, hard and narrow (fo-macs?) but I really don't know. I would like a set that would allow me to move my feet quickly, which is not always easy for me as I weigh 220 and have big feet, and that will allow me to develop my technique.

Does anyone have a remedy or some wheel suggestions?
LucasShmucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #2
shecky79

Hi Lucas, I too was in your situation but now I think I have found my perfect wheels. I now use roll line panther wheels. They seem to grip when I need them and also slide a bit but in a controllable manner. I went through a barrage of wheels from kryptonics, fugitives, radar diamonds, roller Bones team and turbos ( which I love but we're a bit wide and sometime clicked wheels when shuffling). I even have some old school chicago vanathane wheels. These were toooooo slippery with no grip. But for me it's all the way with the panther wheels. It's also all of a personal preference. I've heard an equivalent to the panther are roller bones elite. But I never rode them. Good luck.
shecky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Altpensacola

It really depends on two things, what type of floor you are going to skate on
and if you prefer slower skate moves or are mostly an all out do everything fast skater.
At least that is what I have discovered.
My wheels at the rink (coated concrete) do not even react the same at home (slick concrete).
If I were you I would ask several people at your rink what they prefer based on what they are trying to do.

But for dance stuff I prefer a slightly harder and smaller wheel. I have 98's on the front and 95's on the back.
Some dance skaters at our rink prefer 101's for dance, but when I tried a harder wheel I was sliding all over the turns, because I skate fast. They shuffle slow, so had easier control, but some great moves.
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky79 View Post
Hi Lucas, I too was in your situation but now I think I have found my perfect wheels. I now use roll line panther wheels. They seem to grip when I need them and also slide a bit but in a controllable manner. I went through a barrage of wheels from kryptonics, fugitives, radar diamonds, roller Bones team and turbos ( which I love but we're a bit wide and sometime clicked wheels when shuffling). I even have some old school chicago vanathane wheels. These were toooooo slippery with no grip. But for me it's all the way with the panther wheels. It's also all of a personal preference. I've heard an equivalent to the panther are roller bones elite. But I never rode them. Good luck.
+2 on the Panthers. I'm on my third set. The first two were worn out skating on plastic; my current set are being used on maple. They grip more on the maple than the plastic floor. On plastic, doing a spread eagle, I got a good slide with the roll. On maple there is more grip and less slide. If these ever wear out I will be tempted to try the Roll-line mustang with a durometer of 97. The panthers are 95.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 01:14 PM   #5
LucasShmucas

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it and have just placed an order for some panthers
LucasShmucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default FoMacs NO, Yet What floor

Hi and Welcome,

Quick note and might not be back for a spell.

The floor you are going to skate on is very important for you as a beginner. A good beginner yet still a beginner. Where do you skate would be helpful. The boot also is important. Notice in the below the high top turned down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0AT0CsZ4g

Not sure if the above is the jb style you are talking about. Their are many here who use jb in different ways.

For this video you need a softer wheel, one you can plant, spin on, and will not roll away on you. Many use outdoor wheels with lower durometers. There is also a video on here from Lisa from the UK. Hopefully the below one I just ran works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKe...layer_embedded

This is the SLog link just in case it does not play instantly.
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=47580

BTW I skate with a guy who is a master at this stuff. Wears baggy pants so nothing gets in the way of his moves. Mounting is also important since you are going to do a lot of toe dancing.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01(061317Jun2016): Thought of two more as I signed off, and will think of some more later. Do a skate log search for Jam Addiction our Courtney. The one with the dog who wants attention is my favorite. She calls her stuff Jam Skating and has lots of other moves in addition to jb. Also Roller Dance Man has close to a jb style yet slower.

For Shuffle you need a different wheel and maybe mounting to keep up with the best of the best.

Now you can do some of this on harder wheels yet you will not be as sweet as Lisa, Courtney, my skate associate at the stop. On harder wheels if you can do it you have to keep moving so that you do not lose it.

Edit-02: Central Park and Skate Video 1 above

http://cpdsa.org/media/

In the above video you can see some of the skating styles I have seen and the one buddy I skate with who hails from the Domican Republic and skated hard in Florida. Number 1 Chicago style is no question good, YET there are better.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; July 7th, 2016 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Courtney, Richard; Central Park Skaters
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote