S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 4th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Survey

Would you rather be held up avoiding a fall of unknown injury? Even if a stranger held you up from under the armpits or just left to fall?

So far I got 1 to 1. My daughter, a total touch me not, said she would rather break a leg than have a stranger hod her up under the arm pits. My wife reluctantly admitted she would rather be held up.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Armadillo

It depends on who this "rolling stalker" is, who just happens to be conveniently located at the exact spot so as to be able to intervene and catch me, and more importantly WHY they just happened to be so well positioned to do this?
Most likely → catch me.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 4th, 2016 at 09:23 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Save me.
Old April 4th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
It depends on who this "rolling stalker" is, who just happens to be conveniently located at the exact spot so as to be able to intervene and catch me, and more importantly WHY they just happened to be so well positioned to do this?
Most likely → catch me.

-Armadillo
I was couple skating with my daughter. The perpetrator had another partner. Last time I looked left she was going bwckwards. I was riding backwards as well, medium speed where the inner line would be if this rink had one. She cut me off from my blind side (the outside of the rink) way before one would usually corner. Perhaps she was going for the middle. I don't know if she mohawked to forward to make her way across the middle quick as possible, was already going forward and just not looking, or turned to forward quickly after cutting me off when my daughter yelled to me, "watch-out!". Like I say, she came from the blind side so I don't know. I was going straight backward and looking over my right shoulder.

She was a pretty good skater, I suspect she was focussed on her partner (prolly a daughter). Cut me off hard without realizing it then instictively transitioned when my daughter yelled. Anyway, I was going somewhat faster than her and I instinctively transitioned as well. That's how I came to be behind. No chance for stopping I was inches away and going faster than her. She was prolly a good enough skater that I could of just pushed off and she would of have been fine, but I instictively held her up like I do if a kid runs in to me. Whoops sorry, continue on.

It was a freak thing no stalking involved. To assume that anyone who happens to be behind you is roller-stalking is sad comment on the times. But it does explain the laser eyes I got when I said to her, "Shwew".

Last edited by Derrick; April 5th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #5
Kassus

I agree with the others. I'd rather not eat the floor.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #6
Altpensacola

Has your daughter ever had a broke leg or serious skate injury? If not she might not know what she is choosing.
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Altpensacola

and next time you and that lady skate, she should see that it was just reaction reflex and defensive skating.
If she doesn't show up, well, one less on the floor.

but I know what you mean with sign of the times.
If I see a person fall at the rink, and I'm not involved, it has to be staff or guardian coming for them, I skate around them.

Plus older kids like to fall and just lay there, most of the time they are not hurt, just faking it for their friends.
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default if 100% avoidance? SAVE ME.

If in the event I had a choice of someone aiding me where it would 100%(if 100% and only then) not be a fall WITH them, then hell yes , save me. I say that because i don't want hurt or to hurt someone who is trying to be kind.

If I'm just saved from a fall, no matter how big or small, just save me. As long as it doesn't endanger me further, or them. I've trained myself to fall and break it down into multiple impacts and roll out and back up, so I ususlly dont even get rink rash. Not afraid of falling but definitely dont want to add to the injury potential.

Ive had people try to help when they just needed to leave me be, an "i got this, you messed me up" moment. A poor skilled skater trying to hold me up when our velocities were drastically different, his imbalance from grabbing a faster skater pulled me in a very awkward way. Not good at all i tell ya. Both of us fell because he held on.
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #9
LambChopper

I'd rather be held up. I don't even care where someone would have to touch me. Grab my bra strap if you have to. And I'm definitely a Do Not Touch type normally. If someone saved me I'd be thankful and would give them the benefit of the doubt even if I suspected skate stalking.

Derrick, maybe she thought you caused it hence the laser eyes?
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #10
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChopper View Post
I'd rather be held up. I don't even care where someone would have to touch me. Grab my bra strap if you have to. And I'm definitely a Do Not Touch type normally. If someone saved me I'd be thankful and would give them the benefit of the doubt even if I suspected skate stalking.

Derrick, maybe she thought you caused it hence the laser eyes?
I put in a million rink hours back in the 80s and 90s. Saved and been saved many times. I do not recall any incidents where I touched anyone inappropriately. I would say 50 percent of the time I grabbed the person going down on/near the center of their jeans in the back (most people tend to lose it backwards) where a belt would go through the center belt loop. Maybe 40 percent just grabbed and arm somewhere with just enough force for the skater to regain control - as good skaters will. The remaining 10 percent I probably just softened their fall a tad. I gave poor skaters a lot of space - no way to help them really.
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #11
LambChopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I put in a million rink hours back in the 80s and 90s. Saved and been saved many times. I do not recall any incidents where I touched anyone inappropriately. I would say 50 percent of the time I grabbed the person going down on/near the center of their jeans in the back (most people tend to lose it backwards) where a belt would go through the center belt loop. Maybe 40 percent just grabbed and arm somewhere with just enough force for the skater to regain control - as good skaters will. The remaining 10 percent I probably just softened their fall a tad. I gave poor skaters a lot of space - no way to help them really.
Arms are usually the easiest part to grab anyway since they're usually flailing around!
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #12
mass_quads
Addicted

If you really think you can catch me and save me then yes please do it. If you have any doubts then stay back because getting involved could hurt us both. I take a fall here and there at a session and other skaters act like it's a really big deal, when to me it's just part of learning a new jump or turn or something.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_quads View Post
If you really think you can catch me and save me then yes please do it. If you have any doubts then stay back because getting involved could hurt us both. I take a fall here and there at a session and other skaters act like it's a really big deal, when to me it's just part of learning a new jump or turn or something.
Yep, that's me. Some of my best learning after a fall. I mean you could get a jump higher than you ever have (for me thwt's not very high), but you wern't used to landing such a big jump, so down you go. And I'm like "yea, did you see that" and they are like , "yea, I saw it, you fell" And I'm like "yea, but just before that, it was awesome".

But if there is anyone even close to range to catch me on or after a jump, I really screwed up.
Old April 20th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #14
JHB
Shuffling Member

Depends on who's attempting to hold me up. If it's someone who isn't skilled enough to compensate for their own sudden imbalance caused by grabbing a 210lb person who's moving in a different axis, then I'd rather just fall by myself. I can deal with me falling, because I've learned how to take a fall, and I have some degree of control of what hits first and where; I REALLY don't like having other people falling with/on me.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 04:33 PM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Nudged upright

Hi D,

Don't really want anyone to grab me under the arm pits and I know of others the same way that are adult skaters. At speed, or a crazy fall, IT will make the fall worse. Remember a great skating guy who hollered at someone trying to save him, and he did not need saving like a kid. SHe was quite upset since she thought she was helping.

Don't usually fall, yet lately I have twice on InLiner plastic on the floor. The plastic popped off their skates and it was at low lights.

All someone would need to do is nudge me or grab an arm and I would have been back upright.

For kids I think what I do is the same, a one hand hold to steady them. Years ago I did pick them up, and Mort does sometimes if they are about to be killed.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 23rd, 2016, 06:51 PM   #16
Derrick

Chiming in on my own thread. Actually, I've been saved before. If your trying to help, Thanks. If we wind up in a heap, we get to share an awesome and dramatic story of how we got our battle scars.