S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 25th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Floor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
So sad to see the only rink within 100 miles from me is being ruined by pickle ball players. The floor is being gouged by these idiots diving to return a serve and ramming their racket into it. It feels like you are running over debris but you are actually hitting dips.

Alas, the YMCA allows it because it is a multi-use floor and they need the money. There are also a half dozen half courts for basketball, but I can't imagine the damage coming from the b ballers.

Sucks! You are going to need to move. Absolutely, no question. 100 miles from a decent rink is no joking matter. Quit your job tomorrow and get yourself closer to a rink. If you must rent out the skate room for overnights and live off peanut M&M's from the vending machine. You must get your priorities in order.

Doesn't Portalnd have one of the best in the country at the Oaks Amusement park. My sister lives in Oregeon but I've never been there. I really want to vist that rink, Uh... I mean my sister, yea that's it I want to visit my sister.

Now on to Happy Valley floor. It's bumpy from water damage on turn three. Went to spin in the middle and a couple of times I hit loose boards. Thought I was going to die when the floor went creak snap. No visible damage but you can feel it and that sound scares the bejesus out of you.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #2
mass_quads
Addicted

I can count 15-20 floors within 100 miles of my house, all with decent to great floors. The best floor is always freshly cleaned for their Friday morning session which I usually have to myself. I am spoiled. If I were really living in your area I have to admit I would probably try to move, as funny as it sounds, I am serious.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #3
Derrick

It's only the little rink whithin walking distance that has the trouble. They are only ooen 6 hours a week and only one two hour session has a decent size crowd.

Fuxing the floor would never pay for itself. Bummer.
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #4
mass_quads
Addicted

My post was aimed at sk84love. It was somewhat in jest but being that limited would be tough.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #5
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

I've always said I'd never move anywhere there wasn't a skating rink. But, sometimes we have to face reality and admit there are some things that aren't realistic. In my case, selling my 10 acre country paradise and moving to Portland, Oregon area would break the bank and I'd be a stranger in a strange land.

Sadly, rink closure has become a west coast disease. I hope it never spreads any further.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
I've always said I'd never move anywhere there wasn't a skating rink. But, sometimes we have to face reality and admit there are some things that aren't realistic. In my case, selling my 10 acre country paradise and moving to Portland, Oregon area would break the bank and I'd be a stranger in a strange land.

Sadly, rink closure has become a west coast disease. I hope it never spreads any further.
10 acres? Pu in a nice size concrete pad, pole barn even. What's an extra mortgage here or there?
Old January 30th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #7
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Outdoor Blade Skating / Indoor Careful Skating

Hi

Bummer about the floor maintenance. Too many similar stories.

Lately 10 yrs plus I am one lucky InDoor Skater. Yet it has not been always the case.

In Binghamton, NY (Vestal) they put in a game room in the center, and just did not take care of the floor. SO you had to watch on every turn, and almost know the floor bit by bit. Previously in the 80s the place supposedly was great. In Jasper, INdiana either it was ceiling tile dropping bits of tile, or stones from InLiners that were not checked at the door, either one would trash you.

SO in those years I spent time outdoors as well, blading on my Roller Blades. Stolen by the way years later from my truck by some neighbor Hispanic kids in Haverhill, MA. Poor moms, reasonable hard working dad.

Anyway think about blading outdoors. It takes some time to find the good places.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave