S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Altpensacola

Default I got to see the DJ booth last night.

So during a great session on $2 family night, and only about 30 guests in the building I thought I would venture on over to the DJ booth and see how they do it.
Our rink has 2 great DJ's and 1 newbie (different nights)
Their sound system include 2 set of ceiling mount Klipsch speakers with 10 speakers in each ring. (8 around and 2 on the bottom, probally tuned as subs.) I think they are Klipsch 3002 PA's. I don't know what type amps they use.
They sound really good no matter where you are on the floor.

But the whole music thing is now a laptop computer with a music service, the DJ that showed me the set up told me the name but I don't remember what she said, FSH or FSM something.
She said they pay them and also of course pay the ASCAP fee.
Since we have both been here since vinyl days she showed me a stash of records under the counter. But they would have to hook up the turntables again!

This is at Dreamland Skate in Pensacola, Fla.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:36 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altpensacola View Post
So during a great session on $2 family night, and only about 30 guests in the building I thought I would venture on over to the DJ booth and see how they do it.
Our rink has 2 great DJ's and 1 newbie (different nights)
Their sound system include 2 set of ceiling mount Klipsch speakers with 10 speakers in each ring. (8 around and 2 on the bottom, probally tuned as subs.) I think they are Klipsch 3002 PA's. I don't know what type amps they use.
They sound really good no matter where you are on the floor.

But the whole music thing is now a laptop computer with a music service, the DJ that showed me the set up told me the name but I don't remember what she said, FSH or FSM something.
She said they pay them and also of course pay the ASCAP fee.
Since we have both been here since vinyl days she showed me a stash of records under the counter. But they would have to hook up the turntables again!

This is at Dreamland Skate in Pensacola, Fla.
Yea, the computer is good for queing stuff up, anyone can do it. But the real professionals on vinyl who could fade the music out of one into the next. The perfect timmining; words coordinated to the song intro. That art seems lost. Remeber when most songs faded insteaded of ended.

We used to have floor guards and DJ's. Now one person does both. Or there is no DJ. If there is a DJ they skate the entire session. Ho hum.

Worse yet, every session is the same. Same 20 songs over and over. They don't play to the mood of the crowd or work the crowd to get a particular mood.

Once at my job in a school system on the first day of summer I played 2.5 hours of music with the word " summer" in the lyrics. My rink DJ said that I must have planned for weeks. Nope, totally off the cuff. Let me at that booth. "Let's get it started n here".

Last edited by Derrick; December 3rd, 2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Boogieman at lavo still djs the old fashion way with a twist.
Sets up his turntables and runs them through a pc.Best of both worlds.
Doesnt need them but adds a nice visual touch for us old timers.
He has the best sounding rink in Australia hands down.....
Laverton skate rink in melbourne.
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Altpensacola

Default sir mix a lot

"Let's get it started n here". Nice

Our DJ's do enjoy their job, especially our old school night guy Shane. They don't play the same songs in a row, or even the same songs every week. There are of course the "required" classics that we hear more often.
And they know to change the pace / tempo of the skate several times a night.
And they are also good about taking requests.

My signature here is my usual request!
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #5
mass_quads
Addicted

Only one of the rinks I've skated has a proper DJ who puts any kind of thought into the music. It's amazing what a difference it makes. The others play top 40 which has a decent beat but it's nothing more than background noise IMO. Nothing like some classic hits.... something with soul.

I remember when I was a kid, "Angel is a Centerfold" and "Another one Bites the Dust" were the popular songs at the rink. They're classic tunes now (well maybe the second song more than the first), but both top 40 at the time .
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music dj