S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Gorilla

Default FYI - I miss you folks

I just logged in for the first time in a while. I noticed the derby forum moved back below the Speed Skating forum. Same posts here as when I last checked in a while back.

So, where are all of you now? I am still playing and coaching derby.

I am hoping to hear from some of you that are still at it, but, like me, just grew tired of forum drama.

Happy Skating to you all.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #2
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
...just grew tired of forum drama.
With less than 300 active members these days I am surprised to hear that enough posts are generated to create drama.

Must have been fun in this forum's heyday. More like a ghost town right now.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Armadillo

We missed you too.

Well there were different kinds of drama, some of which was fun and some of which was rather immature. I enjoyed the okie drama, since he had a lot of good info to offer, until he crossed a certain line that the mods decided warranted a permanent ban.

Most of the "kill the messenger" and "assassinate the character" type poster/posting bashers have departed, which IMO is good, since they rarely had much if any good information to present here.

I continue to come up with different ideas and H/W things to try for improving on the outdoor/indoor quad skating experience and performance.

I still share as much as I can about all my projects, and hopefully give other people some ideas for doing and trying things out for themselves, offering feedback, and coming up with their own new concepts to try out and share.

Were it not for my thick Armadillo skin, and my tendency to avoid taking any negativity directed at me too personally, I no doubt would have departed long ago, but I still enjoy seeing what others are up to here in the way of engineering new designs and tweaking out performance in new ways.

-Armadillo
Old September 6th, 2015, 03:06 AM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Welcome back, Gorilla. Nice to see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Must have been fun in this forum's heyday. More like a ghost town right now.
Yep, it was pretty hoppin' around here for a while. As often befalls forums like this, all the same old bickering from the same old suspects drove some people away. It's too bad, we had a lot of fun.

If you haven't seen it, on the very bottom of the main page there are some interesting factoids.

Quote:
Most users ever online was 2,067, August 13th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
I was one of them that night.

Quote:
Threads: 32,956, Posts: 540,520, Members: 11,893, Active Members: 287
I remember watching that number roll over 100,000.

I don't know what the criteria is for being considered an "active member", so I don't know how hung up I'd get on that.
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Salamanda

Default It's been so long I nearly forgot my password!

I miss this place too, and all of the lovely people who used to frequent it. It got to the point where the posts were less and less about skating and more about politics and full of nastiness, and I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I still swing by a couple of times a week for a quick scan of anything that looks interesting but haven't felt like joining in on any discussions for quite a while.

On a skating/derby related note: I have decided to join a new derby league (kinda new - full of people from my old league) that's easier for me to get to, and I've bought myself some Roll Line Killers for my birthday. A full review will happen when I've given them a good test drive
Old September 8th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #6
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
I miss this place too, and all of the lovely people who used to frequent it. It got to the point where the posts were less and less about skating and more about politics and full of nastiness, and I just couldn't be bothered anymore. I still swing by a couple of times a week for a quick scan of anything that looks interesting but haven't felt like joining in on any discussions for quite a while.

On a skating/derby related note: I have decided to join a new derby league (kinda new - full of people from my old league) that's easier for me to get to, and I've bought myself some Roll Line Killers for my birthday. A full review will happen when I've given them a good test drive
I'd love to hear about the Roll line Killers.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Fancy-Kerrigan

Crickets
Yep, it is quiet around here.
GotSk8s and I celebrated our one year annaversary this summer. We continue to skate weekly and keep up with his (our) Facebook page Madsk8s
As quiet as it gets we still check back often......afterall, without SLF we never would have met <3
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Slinkydog

The Roll-Line Killer review will be greatly appreciated!
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #9
Yours Truly
Yours Truly #D13

This is the first time I've logged on in an age, my reasons for drifting away were definitely that the balance had moved away from relevant topics and IIRC someone said something massively misogynistic that was the final straw for me.

I've just (as in this week just) left my league after six seasons (been there since the start) and am going independent, due to a combination of having less time as I've started studying for a degree and there has been a recent change to requirements for skaters (even ones not drafted to any roster) that I absolutely disagree with, so I decided I'm out for the time being.
Yours Truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #10
Alakablamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
... I've bought myself some Roll Line Killers for my birthday. A full review will happen when I've given them a good test drive
I'm interested in hearing this, as well. That's about as top-of-the-line of a plate as it gets.
Alakablamo is offline   Reply With Quote