S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
RaynaTerror

Default Ankle pain

Hi all!

I started playing roller derby last october, and I have also recently taken up aggressive skating (a la chicks in bowls) in June.
I skate on Riedell R3's and I have noticed some intense ankle pain when I am running on my toe stops either to get to the top of a ramp or to begin a jam. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my skates or a medical problem with my ankles, but they have never hurt me before.

It almost feels like a very intense cramp or like something is slightly displaced in my ankle (i dont know if that makes any sense haha). It usually happens in my left ankle and I have to take weight off of it immediately and remove my skate, and then it goes away after a couple of minutes of me rolling it around and stretching it.

I'm gonna run out and buy some gel inserts to put into my skates before practice tonight and see if that helps. But I figured someone on here has experience with a similar problem.

Thank you!
Rayna Terror.
RaynaTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Guessing the boots have broken down and when you do things that require a good boot, your foot isn't getting the support it needs, used good boots are around.
And the muscles(ligaments and tendons) will eventually support you painlessly, loosen them up beforehand, loosen them up gradually at each session.
Inserts will help a great deal, if the problem is your foot moving around, especially an arch, you're stressing the arch.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Fancy-Kerrigan

Where it usually happens with one ankle, I would venture to say your issue is with that ankle not the skates....otherwise it would be happening with both ankles

I think you have 3 options:
1. Go to the doctor to find out if something is really wrong with your ankle.
2. Go with the idea that there is something wrong and take some time off skates to heal
3. Continue to skate with the pain then Advil, Tiger Balm, Ice and elevation (this is probably what I would do, but then again I'm not normal)

BTW - Do you skate with Jess Business?
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Armadillo

IMO, Not likely to be a med issue if it clears so fast after removing pressure.

I suggest first, put brand new LARGER toe stops on and set them a bit closer to the surface.
Then, if that seems to help try further adjusting your stops incrementally closer to surface until you reach the lowest point you feel can tolerate them being without dragging.
Beware to maintain enough stop-to-floor space before getting it too far down.

If this helps, then it could just be that the angle of your foot is getting too extended, to the point where the boot might be pinching on a sensitive spot like a nerve point.

By reducing the amount of foot extension needed to get the stop down, this will quickly indicate if it is this kind of an issue.

Also, is there someone who will loan you a pair of skates with better boots long enough to verify whether same problem happens with their boots?

If no help with these ideas, maybe then a medical consultation.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; July 16th, 2015 at 10:30 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #5
RaynaTerror

Thank you guys for all your help! I just lowered the toe stops and I'm going to the rink tonight so I will try it out there. I talked to the captain of our A team and she told me it could be a problem with how I lace up my skates, so I'll try whatever she tells me and see if that makes a difference too.

If neither of these things work I'll probably go to the doctor (as a LAST resort before buying new skates), and maybe try a brace..

I'm looking into antiks because the ankle support they offer would probably be beneficial to me. But I've seen people on here praise Bont's like they are made out of the sun, so maybe I'll look into those too.

And no I don't know Jess Business , but there are a lot of Rayna Terrors out there.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

Jess also skates in bowls....just thought you may have skated with her at some point.

Ankle support and antiks.....I know that some figure skates offer firm ankle support that breaks down over time. Antiks....not so sure if they were made like an art skate for jumps. I'm thinking that they were just made a little taller with questionable support. Which like the art skates breaks in (breaks down) over time.

I don't have full range of motion in my right ankle, it was suggested that I get a lace up brace to prevent an injury if my ankle was ever forced to a place is doesn't naturally go. This brace I replace every year so that I continue to get the protection I need. I would recomend this instead of a taller boot, because at $25 a piece, they are cheaper then buying a new boot once they are broken in (broken down in the ankle area).

And yes, Bonts are all that and a bag of chips
Old August 10th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #7
RaynaTerror

What exactly makes Bont so great? I talked to my dr and he suggested that ankle support had nothing to do with it, and that I should get a boot that fits my feet more accurately. That's why I've turned my focus over to bont. I'm just worried about the durability of the boot since my poor skates have a rough life and I'm pretty hard on them.
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Fancy-Kerrigan

Carbon fiber base = No flex (firm foundation)
butter soft durable leather = zero break in time

I have 2 pairs, they fit like ballet slippers. Most Reidells fit like a boot.

The pair that I wear outside has been through alot and while it doesn't look new....it is still doing it's job and I think holding up very well. I would recomend them 100%
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

The fit.
The fit.
The fit.

The way the Bont is constructed. It can provide a fit no other boot can equal. Stiff fiberglass or carbon fiber bottom is narrow, then curves up gently matching the contour of your foot. Soft leather uppers evenly wrap around the upper part of your foot. Heat moldable heel cup. This means the heel cup will fit your heel. NO MOVEMENT, no games, no thick socks, no beer coozies. Just a right fitting heel.

Tags
ankle pain, roller derby