S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Neon Jenesis

Default What is this and where can I get it?!

Hey all,
I am a derby girl who is being constantly tormented to come to the dark side by my inliner brother. But I refuse to go quietly!

I am a big one for toe stops and if I am going to get inlines they MUST have a toe stop. So I found this picture on another post in skate log...

And so I ask you all, what is this and where can I get it? I'm not totally dense as I am aware this is an artistic inline. But I want to know the brand and where I can buy it. I am loving the boot mostly! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to start jumping and spinning. YAY!
Neon Jenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #2
cass38a

there is a set on Aistralian eBay at the moment...........

Why do it to yourself? There is a reason why the majority of inline skates do not have a toe stop.

If you are planning on doing any outdoor skating then your experience will terrible. Having an extra wheel and longer wheelbase will smooth out the ride, reduce the chance of a fall and a heel brake if you need one stops you better than a toe stop ever will.

IMO unless you are going to be doing figure skating indoors don't waste your money and if a toe stop is that important to you you may as well stick with Quads.

However a lot of people skate Quads with no toe stops so taking a spoonful of cement and just getting a quality pair of Inlines which are suited to the type of skating you are planning on doing might be the best thing you can do for your skating technique and reduce your reliance on the toe stops.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Google: "Snow White skates", "PIC skates", "Off Ice Skates"

But be aware:

- Spinning does not use stops. You only need the stop for certain jumps. Nothing else needs stops.

- Artistic inlines also have small wheels, and mostly only 3 wheels, which makes them far less suitable for outdoors than regular inlines. And *mud* slow.

- Stops also stop you being able to do cool stuff like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObRtHOZ3384 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-swBB3LRKs

- AFAICT, in most places, artistic inline is dead as a sport anyway. You'd be way better off sticking with quads or going to ice, if you plan to compete ever (or even just want some coaching).

- Not having a toe stop allows the toe wheel of the free leg to be used as a "training wheel", which SO helps learning to skate on one foot

If all you are concerned about is your automatic reflexes trying to kill you, I suggest your derby knee pads and wrist guards will prevent injury, so why worry? You'll soon stop trying to tomahawk after the 3rd or 4th time

Here's a quality more general purpose/urban/slalom skate: http://skatecrazy.net/products/frx
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #4
cass38a

when you use a toe stop on Quads you still have 3 points touching the ground in a triangle shape (2 wheels and the stop). On these Inlines when you go to use the stop there will only be two points of contact in a line so will feel and work completely differently.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote