S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 31st, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default First North Shore Marathon?

How many forum members are doing their first ever North Shore marathon?

How many folks have multiple NSIMs?

I started out in 2010 with the NSIM 1/2 marathon (couldn't keep the frame on my right boot! but did manage to finish) and then have made it to the full marathon in 11, 12,13. Now hoping for my best showing ever in '14.
Old September 1st, 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Sk8formiles

Default 1st NSIM

This year will be my 1st NSIM
Sk8formiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 07:43 AM   #3
ese002

This will be my fifth:

2006 The rain year
2007 the cold year (27F at the start line)
2008 the FAST year (light tailwind and still beautiful pavement)
2013 the headwind year

Last year was appalling, even in relative terms. I hoping to redeem myself a bit though it is probably asking too much to expect a repeat of my '08 time.

I seem to bring extreme conditions. Maybe it will be HOT this year. Or maybe hail.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM   #4
ThePerambulator

This will be my sixth time at the race.

2009: 1:51
2010: 1:48 (rain year)
2011: 1:30
2012: 1:12
2013: 1:34 (first time skating in Elite at this race. It was ugly)
2014: Skating the Combined!
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM   #5
bjvircks
Major Trouble

thanks for joining the party, Sk8formiles! Is there another skater that got you interested in doing NSIM or did you come across it on your own?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 01:16 AM   #6
WJCIV

I'm hoping to be there next year. This is supposed to be my last year of grad school, then I get a real job and make enough money to travel for a race or two each year other than IDN.

I did it 2-3 times in the 2000-2003 timeframe. Fell each time and still managed to finish with the main advanced pack. One year we caught some of the pro women, which caused a bit of a commotion because a couple of them hopped in with our pack (which was against the rules), and apparently it actually affected the final placements a bit.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #7
a-cut-above

Default Advice

I saw this older thread. I will be skating in my first NSIM on Sept.16. Any advice?
a-cut-above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #8
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-cut-above View Post
I saw this older thread. I will be skating in my first NSIM on Sept.16. Any advice?
What is your context? Have you raced before or is this your first marathon?

What area that people often mess up is wave selection. With large packs, a point to point course, and smooth pavement (not always, but definitely this year) you easily shave ten minutes off the time you achieved on a slower course.
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #9
bjvircks
Major Trouble

we've got TONS of advice we'd all love to share... we just need to know what will be helpful for you!

Do you currently skate alone or in a group? Do you skate mostly indoors or outdoors? Are you comfortable skating around lots of people? Have you skated in a pace line? Have you skated on streets and roads or just park trails? Have you skated wet conditions? Do you know how long it takes you to skate 10 miles? 20 miles? Are you young or old? Fit or fat? Tall or small? Do you plan to actually RACE or be a social skater... or some of both?

From what I see on your other posts... you are likely to be on Bont Semi-Race with 100mm wheels.

I'd suggest getting the best wheels you can afford. "Best" for any given person on any given day is very dependent on so many factors. A good wheel can make NSIM very enjoyable but a wrong choice for the day's conditions can make you curse every mile and swear you'll never come back.

Many recreational skaters are on 'stock' wheels that are comfortable to be on for short bits of time but do not do well on long skates... kind of like riding a bicycle with tires half flat. Great if all you want is a really hard workout but crappy if you are trying to go fast.

WELCOME TO THE PARTY ! !
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #10
shafeeqs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
What area that people often mess up is wave selection. With large packs, a point to point course, and smooth pavement (not always, but definitely this year) you easily shave ten minutes off the time you achieved on a slower course.
That's my dilemma - from the results it's hard to see which times came from which wave. Should I expect the lead pack of A3 to be going any faster than the 1:25 A2/A3 dividing time?
shafeeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #11
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeqs View Post
That's my dilemma - from the results it's hard to see which times came from which wave. Should I expect the lead pack of A3 to be going any faster than the 1:25 A2/A3 dividing time?
Probably, assuming identical conditions, but I don't know the algorithm used to create the divisions and back computing it requires data crunching like bjvircks's chart. Unfortunately, no such analysis has been done for 2012, the year the divisions are still based on. (And the chart that was done is lost to the Photobucket monsters)

My hunch is that anyone who finished with the A3 leaders would be moving up the following year and thus, should be noticeably under the A2 cutoff time.

To make matters more confusing, 2012 was a tail wind year resulting in cut-offs that significantly faster than typical. As mentioned in my post two years ago, no one who raced in the advanced waves in 2014 qualified for A1 in later years based on their 2014 time. Only a handful qualified for A2.

My hunch is that if you think you might be able to meet the stated times for A2, then you are much too fast for A3. You may want to consider going A1.

Are you basing your choice on prior Northshore's (if so, which year?) or other races?
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:31 AM   #12
gopherfan

Don't give the Northshore cut-off times too much weight. They take all the times from ALL skaters in ALL divisions and say the top 5% of times have to be elite and work their way down the chart based on fixed percentages of finish times. They don't make any effort to make a chart determined by ability or placement. It is a stupid system and I can point to it as one of the reasons Northshore started shrinking in popularity about 15 years ago. Just thinking about it irritates me.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote