S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2018, 04:38 AM   #1
JerryR708
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 23
Default Rollerskate class - Pulled Hamstring

On December 1st, I decided to sign up for roller skating classes at my local skating rink. Every Saturday, they teach beginner, intermediate and advanced classes.

My first Saturday class was a trial to see where I fit in and went over some of the Beginner Class basics. Proper body positions, balancing and marching on skates, forward scissors, (cannonballs-couldn't squat down far enough without falling on my rear) and stopping, etc.

My second Saturday was Intermediate Classes where I would stay for the remaining 5 weeks. Lessons include: T Push, Flamingo, 2 foot Jump, 2 foot spin, Mohawk Turn, Backward Scissors, Bunny Hop, Shoot the Duck, Backward Cannon Ball, 2 foot edges using cones, Spiral.

Students were given an "Intermediate Elements" checklist card in a clear pouch and attached to a lanyard. The teacher would initial each element that you were taught and successfully completed. Upon completion of the class, you would be given the "Advanced Elements" checklist cards.

The teacher has mixed level students in her class. Some student in the advanced level were very young and able to jump 360's and land on one foot like they were on ice. It was the end of class and I wanted to try some new jumps besides the basic 2 foot jump. I tried a 180 and landed perfect-wow just look at me go.

It was only my fourth class and the teacher said that I wasn't ready for those yet and that I need to really warm up and stretch first. Well she was right, because after a few more, I landed unbalanced and wobbly. I didn't fall, but the strain to try and stay on my feet had caused me to pull a right hamstring muscle. I felt a pain upon landing, but continued rolling like nothing happened. I was embarrassed and didn't want anybody to know that I was hurt for doing something stupid. I'm glad that it was the end of class and that nobody suspected anything.

I get home and take a hot Epsom salt bath and took 2 Ibuprofen 200 mg tablets. Next, I filled a zip lock bag with Ice and filled a hot water bottle and laid in bed alternating every 4 minutes with hot and cold presses.
I wake up, pop 2 more Ibuprofen and head to work for 8 hours.
I get home and repeat the Hot Epsom bath hot/cold press and Ibuprofen.

My leg is feeling better already and it has only been 32 hours. I learned to warm up and stretch before skating and not to JUMP ahead of my skating ability level. My wife doesn't know what happened and I'm not going to tell her. She might tell me to find a safer activity and resent me skating.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 06:43 AM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,167
Default

You don't mention your age, weight or general physical condition. Take this with a grain of salt, or see who else ways in, but that schedule of stuff to do is waaaaay to much in my opinion. Forget all the moves. Do you even skate well?? This sounds like an aggressive learning program designed for kids with rubber bodies. Might want to take it all a bit slower.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 03:18 PM   #3
JerryR708
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
You don't mention your age, weight or general physical condition. Take this with a grain of salt, or see who else ways in, but that schedule of stuff to do is waaaaay to much in my opinion. Forget all the moves. Do you even skate well?? This sounds like an aggressive learning program designed for kids with rubber bodies. Might want to take it all a bit slower.
I'm 49 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 195 lbs. I have the build of a retired athlete. I used to body build, TaeKwonDo, roller blade, bowl, snorkel and anything physical. I think I am in good physical shape. I am a little washed up, but can get to where I used to in just a few months.

I have been session skating twice a week for 3 months now after being away for 30 years. My favorite is speed skating. My endurance is great. I can go hours without breaking a sweat or breathing hard. I can take falls pretty well. I have been in a motorcycle accident where somebody made a left turn in front of me while I was going 50. I plowed into his door and flew over the hood, bounced around and walked away from it.

The instructor is experienced in training students in all levels & disciplines of skating from beginner, to the regional, nation, and world class competitor & champions.
I was trying something beyond my level after the teacher told me not to, so it was my fault. I always thought I was Superman, but this was a humbling experience to teach me to take it slow and follow advice from a trained instructor. I just hope I heal in time before the next lesson in a week, or I might need to take more time for recovery. Stunts like this just set me back. I am always in a rush and want to over excel at everything. I am a daredevil and love to take risks to test my abilities.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2018, 11:54 PM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,167
Default

Well, sounds like you can stand up to some abuse, and if you are a daredevil, you'll likely keep pushing. I'd say the stuff you are talking about should take 6 months to get down. So now you'll try in in 3. Happy Hunting.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2019, 06:26 PM   #5
kcire10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Maplewood, NJ
Posts: 45
Default

I think you should slow yourself down and take it easy. I know everyone wants to get out there and do all of those tricks they see others do but you could really hurt yourself if you don't watch out.

Back in September, we had a guy we skate with tryn perform toe-toe spins after I told him to learn how to balance (heel-toe style) at the same time and then learn heel-toe spins first. Next thing we know, he's on the floor and out of commission for 6 months (messed up his knee). People think what we do is easy but it takes a lot of practice and time to build up to a certain level and beyond.

I get people at the rink all the time coming up to me stating that they want to skate like me but they don't want to stretch and put in the work that I've put in. To them, all they see are the oh's and ah's from everyone watching me. When I start talking about just the basics of balance, proper stance, etc., they become uninterested, say thank you and skate off (later on I'll see them somewhere else trying the moves). You gotta start with the basics and move up a little at a time.

I've put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours of skating and practicing over the last year and a half, skating at home, and even practicing moves at home without skates to practice proper posture. It takes time, effort and patience. Just slow yourself down and take it easy. Skating ain't going nowhere and you have time to practice and get better without getting hurt!
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,345
Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
I think you should slow yourself down and take it easy. I know everyone wants to get out there and do all of those tricks they see others do but you could really hurt yourself if you don't watch out.

Back in September, we had a guy we skate with tryn perform toe-toe spins after I told him to learn how to balance (heel-toe style) at the same time and then learn heel-toe spins first. Next thing we know, he's on the floor and out of commission for 6 months (messed up his knee). People think what we do is easy but it takes a lot of practice and time to build up to a certain level and beyond.

I get people at the rink all the time coming up to me stating that they want to skate like me but they don't want to stretch and put in the work that I've put in. To them, all they see are the oh's and ah's from everyone watching me. When I start talking about just the basics of balance, proper stance, etc., they become uninterested, say thank you and skate off (later on I'll see them somewhere else trying the moves). You gotta start with the basics and move up a little at a time.

I've put in hundreds upon hundreds of hours of skating and practicing over the last year and a half, skating at home, and even practicing moves at home without skates to practice proper posture. It takes time, effort and patience. Just slow yourself down and take it easy. Skating ain't going nowhere and you have time to practice and get better without getting hurt!
And you’ll still get injured sometimes, but hopefully not nearly as bad.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #7
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,845
Default

from now on stretch properly, no bouncing doing it. being in the martial arts u should be able to do it well.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #8
zebra1922
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 91
Default

I normally find my knees a problem due to a long history of ligament damage, but learning backwards crossovers (including the step over kind) I found put a real strain on my hamstrings. Like others have said, I think the key is to warm up properly, stretch all relevant muscles and ease into things. You wouldn't start a 10k run without a warm up and stretch I suppose the same should apply to skating.
zebra1922 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
I normally find my knees a problem due to a long history of ligament damage, but learning backwards crossovers (including the step over kind) I found put a real strain on my hamstrings. Like others have said, I think the key is to warm up properly, stretch all relevant muscles and ease into things. You wouldn't start a 10k run without a warm up and stretch I suppose the same should apply to skating.
But with skating warm up can be with skates on. Just start slow and stretch. Then do hour thing. No need to be sidelined for that.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.