S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 26th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Penguin

Default hi tops to lo tops

hello everyone, I would like to try a pair of lo top quads, but have only ever skated in hi tops what can I expect. has anyone ever done the transition
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Without spending a penny you can try low tops, you might not like them.
Don't tie the laces above your foot, leave the ankles unlaced, they will skate exactly like low tops.

ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Is that to say, you have only skated rentals?
A few typical differences, besides the boot height, are heel height. The high boots tend to have higher heels. Used to KILL my forefoot when I skated hard. Low top, aka speed boots, will have a lower or no heel. You'll get a more even balance of weight on your foot. You will also have more ankle flexion. I liked the more ankle flexion when I went from high to low. They can also be a fair bit lighter. This will depend, of course, on what exact boots you end up with.

Are you looking to buy your first skates?
Old December 26th, 2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Penguin

I have my own skates and have for many years. I am on my 2nd pair a cheaper pair of reidell vinyl hi top boots. they skate great but have been thinking of trying some lo tops
Old December 26th, 2018, 10:21 PM   #5
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Without spending a penny you can try low tops, you might not like them.
Don't tie the laces above your foot, leave the ankles unlaced, they will skate exactly like low tops.

I skated with the tongue tied down for over 20 years, then went for the low riedell, and have skated over 10 years with the low. The heel does make a big difference in the stance, but a few times around the rink and you get used to it.

Many rinks have "speed skate" rentals as well as the traditional boot rental. Might be an easy way to give it a spin.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2018, 12:20 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I have my own skates and have for many years. I am on my 2nd pair a cheaper pair of reidell vinyl hi top boots. they skate great but have been thinking of trying some lo tops
Oh, I skated that boot. Short lifespan aside, mine tore after a year and a half, that is a pretty nice boot. The thin vinyl fits around the foot well. This would suggest a package skate. If so, be aware you likely have a straight mount plate. This would make inside edging a little harder than it should be.

It would also mean you use a nylon plate. Depending on your weight a metal plate might be a nice upgrade.
Old December 27th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Penguin

Yes they were a package skate, my wife and I both got the reidell angel yes they came with nylon plates that I have already changed using my old reidells that no longer fit me. I took the sure grip super x plates off them and put on my new boots. also changed out my wheels to my old Powell bones rink rats and also upgraded bearings to china bones reds but had 2 blow out and replaced with SG qube gold swiss and also SG super cushions purple on top yellow on bottom. The skates run very nice but want to try different ideas for when I replace the boots
Old December 27th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #8
BigFoot

When others go high, we go low…

I switched to low tops many years ago. Much less restrictive, less bulk. Also sit flat to the world (no high heels) which feels more natural and relaxed.
I had two pair of 297 Riedell high tops. These are very tall boots. They always rubbed holes in my shins and ankles. Blood stained boots and socks every time. Worse yet, they limited foot flex and made me skate in a more stiff, upright position. At least that’s how it felt for me. Other people say that high tops give them ankle support and it makes them feel safer, comfortable, sure-footed, etc. Me thinks high tops may help prevent ankle roll over sprains, especially for roller blade or ice skaters where you are in constant balance on a center line. Quads are a more restful mini platform that you “stand on.” I dunno, I'm just speculating. Anyway, my high top boots were so damn expensive that I tolerated their shortcomings for years and made them work as best I could, but I finally gave up and donated them to the local thrift store. I'll never go back to high tops. Low ones are agile, lightweight and a bit cooler to skate in.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2018, 03:11 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Yes they were a package skate, my wife and I both got the reidell angel yes they came with nylon plates that I have already changed using my old reidells that no longer fit me. I took the sure grip super x plates off them and put on my new boots. also changed out my wheels to my old Powell bones rink rats and also upgraded bearings to china bones reds but had 2 blow out and replaced with SG qube gold swiss and also SG super cushions purple on top yellow on bottom. The skates run very nice but want to try different ideas for when I replace the boots
After my high boots, have had 2 low boots. One with a really small heel, and one completely flat. Generally speaking, I like the flatter boots better, and also like the ankle freedom.

So sounds like you have a few years of skating under your belt. If you think you have 10 more years in ya, you might consider getting a higher quality boot. Spending $350 now may sound like a lot, but that breaks down to only $35 a year after 10 years. A Bont Quad Racer Leather is a super good fitting, light, low top boot. Very worth considering if you want to try the "Good" boot route, vs the Economy boot route. One kind of cool thing here is, you could put a cheap, light, nylon plate, with the gummy cushions, and the skate will not flex. The Bont has a stiff sole that comes in either fiberglass or carbon fiber. The stiff soles counteract the nylon plates' main problem: Flex.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:11 AM   #10
Derrick

I once tried sneaker skates 40 years ago. Loved them for playing in the basement. But now I tighten my high tops pretty tight. Leaving just one eye on each side. If my skates are cold I need a retie about 1/2 hour in to the session. I loose spin revoloutions, thre turns are less controlled. I also like to over rotate waltz jumps and land on an edge. A high tight tie gives me better control. And protects the ankle from turning on a spin or jump landing. It all depends on what you want to do. I can dance forward and back on toes or heels but a low boot prolly is better for that. I feel I have more range with high boots, but I’m sure others feel more range on low.
Old January 7th, 2019, 01:52 AM   #11
fierocious1

I tried skates with shoes bolted onto them and found them to be way too soft, huge loss in control at speed. I love carbon fiber boots, good fit and super responsive. I now run inline speed boots on my frames, the deck height is a little high but I can run larger wheels for outdoors anytime with out changing anything other than wheels.
Old January 9th, 2019, 03:12 AM   #12
Dec8rSk8r

When I started back skating, I had art boots. That was all I knew. You couldn't get me back in art boots now. I think a lot of the ankle soreness I had was my feet fighting with the leather around them. Try some Riedell 195's and maybe you will see what I mean.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 06:27 PM   #13
BigFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Try some Riedell 195's and maybe you will see what I mean.
Ditto that. I have 195’s. Great boot. They are priced around $300 for standard sizes/width. If this seems too expensive, remember that they will last a lifetime. In fact, they may outlive you, be sold at a yard sale, and start a second life with a new skater. So if you spread the cost out over a lifetime, it’s not that pricey (car salesman's mantra).

The 195’s are not the only low cut boot that Riedell makes. They have about a dozen models in various styles, cut height and prices. But the 195 is the lowest cut of their low cut models, the lowest of the lows. And if you are the kind of person who likes to support U.S. manufacturers, they are made in the U.S… just saying.

About two years ago, Riedell introduced the Solaris. This is a low cut boot costing about $350. It looks good. If I were to buy new boots, I would definitely consider them. The advertising hype says they are made with “Kango-tan leather,” which is cow leather that has been softened to simulate the legendary feel of Kangaroo leather. More importantly, they have a roomy toe box. Solaris looks like it is a direct rip-off of Bont boots, although they say it is the result of their own research. OK, whatever. Anyway, you may want to give them a look.

Of course, there are many other brands of low cut boots, and many of those are less expensive. Whatever you buy be sure to get a good fit. I have freakishly wide feet (hence my user name). My gunboats require custom made boots. If you want some sticker shock, check out the cost of Riedell’s custom made boots. They be grabbing with both hands.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote