S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 16th, 2018, 07:29 AM   #1
busta9876

Default ball of foot pain, behind big toe

I'm back to skating about 7 months now after a 20 year dry spell. I've got a pair of 495 boots on a reactor pro plate, and now comfortable on red (soft) cushions. The only thing really holding me back now is some pain in the ball of my foot, behind the big toe. I've tried a variety of insoles with mixed success. I recently tried a memory foam insole that was very comfortable lasting an entire session without any pain at all, but after about 3 or 4 sessions, they were wearing out and at $10 a set was getting expensive. When new they also dulled the responsiveness to my skates it seemed.

The original supplied insole was rather thin and after about an hour the ball area would start hurting. I would usually do some backward skating to give my right foot a rest, but now I skate about 50/50 backward/forward a session and now have about the same pain in each foot on the ball.

I just got a Riedell R-fit foot bed kit, the insole seems to be a little thicker but is harder than the memory foam. Lasted about half a session before pain in the ball come in.

Any ideas what I can do to get rid of this pain/soreness? The next day I'm 100% and can skate another 1-2 hours no problem. No blisters ever. The picture is of the memory foam insoles after about 3 or 4 sessions. They don't hold up well to the stitches in the sole of the boot.

busta9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Derrick

Default Both feet?

Hmmm...... bad fiting gear or pressing edges in some weird way. just my guess
Old December 16th, 2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Dec8rSk8r

I would be curious to see the bottom of your skates. How are those mounted? I wonder if you stood on that machine they normally have in Walmart's that tests your feet to see what sort of insoles you need if that would help? Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts I think they are called.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 01:57 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Looks like your feet want wider skates.
The hugh gouges must be bunions?
https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...ns-treatment#1

Real sports orthotics are hard, they support you body weight over every mm of your foot, they cup your toes and heels,they allow no slip and they work great, soft suckers underfoot do nothing but cause slippage and sweat.

A real orthotic will form to the bunions, supporting them and will help support your weight better, all your weight won't be held by the bunions, but, you should see a professional about your feet.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2018, 04:04 PM   #5
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Sounds like your plate is mounted straight. Your plates, as you look down at the, should be angled out toward the little toe. This give the ball more leverage. You might also notice, as you look down at your skates, skates on, that you see more of the inside front wheel and less of the outside front wheel. If this is the case, you need a corrective re-mount.
Old December 16th, 2018, 05:22 PM   #6
busta9876

I do have a bunion on small toe (tailors bunion) but it does not bother me after heat molding.

The plates are mounted offset on the front to the outside maybe 1/4 inch eye balling it. However if relax my feet standing still in my skates my feet do tend to want to roll outward slightly.

I'm 255lb and skate fairly aggressively at times.
Old December 16th, 2018, 06:21 PM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9876 View Post
I do have a bunion on small toe (tailors bunion) but it does not bother me after heat molding.

The plates are mounted offset on the front to the outside maybe 1/4 inch eye balling it. However if relax my feet standing still in my skates my feet do tend to want to roll outward slightly.

Well, the mount sounds right. Funny you say when you stand you want to roll outward. So even with a seemingly good mount, the outside of the foot still too much power, making the ball need to work too hard. Yeah, the orthodic would be the next logical step. I was having foot problems a few months back. I found one of those machine that examines your foot, and got the right orthodic. I use it in my tennis shoes, and I used to swap it into my skates. It is mainly an arch support. I didn't like it in my skate. Threw my balance off. It did feel good for my shoes though. Maybe try that in your skate. See if that mitigates that roll out feel. Clearly, you have found the problem. The rolling outward tendency. Now, gotta find that something that fixes it.
Old December 16th, 2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

There's nothing in the boot on tjose areas is There? Maybe the mounting hardware or stitches sticking up, or even the hardware is higher because of the stitches in the sole? Its weird to see that kind of shape in an insole. It just doesn't look to have a very natural indent. Hardware may need tightened.
Old December 16th, 2018, 11:06 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9876 View Post

Ah, so a little toe bunion, lot's of people have both big and little toe bunions and your inserts are showing big toe bunions, imagine, consider... they only appear when hot, or squeezed.

The looking down seeing both wheels evenly test is good, if the plates are offset, the wheels are seen equally from above, skating hard at any weight requires a good foundation, a good boot and time to build up every muscle in the lower legs, toe, foot cramps take forever to control.

Bunions can be reversed, bone spurs are forever.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2018, 03:54 AM   #10
busta9876

Just looking at my foot my big toe's seem completely fine, good separation to the next toe. Just my right foot little toe. The only issue I have is this ball of feet pain. No blisters, no cramps, no arch pain, nothing else.

The picture of the insole makes it look way worse than it is. The foam insole was very soft and the stitches slowly wore a hole in them. I would throw them out when big toe started rubbing the stitches. The only area of concern is where I circled.

The hardware was raised some when I first got the skates, I used a 45 degree tapered chamfer tool to slightly enlarge where the head of the hardware goes, it is FLAT and FLUSH with the sole of the boot.

I skated about 3 hours last night and another 3 this afternoon on my new r-fit insoles from Riedell. Slightly better after today's session.

I am going to check with a few local podiatrist see if any of them might be able to help my situation/familiar with skaters. I'll also see if the plate can be adjusted any more to take out the tendency of foot to roll outward.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Old December 17th, 2018, 04:22 AM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Be sure to double check hardware and see if you can fee any surface irregularity from where the hardware may have mushroomed up the sole. May want to go Tee nuts.
Old December 17th, 2018, 06:58 AM   #12
Gee

You may want to check with a boot fitter to see whether you need a wider boot.

The natural weight on the outside foot when standing flat suggest you may need orthotics to balance the foot. I use a custom made sport orthotics. It is possible to buy packaged orthotics such as Dr. Scholls but no one has perfectly matched feet. I had mine made by a podiatrist. He created a cast of both my feet to create custom orothics perfectly matched to my feet. They remove all pressure from my foot and provide the support to keep[ my weight distributed evenly. It also made using cushion insoles needless. I use paper thin leather insoles with my sports orthotics. I did this over 30 years ago and I'm still using the same thin leather insoles and sport orthotics.
Old December 18th, 2018, 12:00 AM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

What kind of wear do your shoe soles present? Do they wear evenly? Inside/outside more? Heel drag?

Have to checked the width of your foot? Learn to do a foot tracing and get some solid numbers, or get on a brannock device.