S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 13th, 2019, 08:31 PM   #1
BMW325TI

Default Protection...anyone?

Hello guys,

Do you wear protection when skating?

Well after many fails, I using knee, wrist and elbow pads.
I skate at rough surface, so ........
Anyone has a recommendation for protection for comfort wearing?

Thanks friendS!
BMW325TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi BMW325TI,

Sounds like you're Speed Skating outside ?? On what kind of Surface ? Concrete, Asphalt, ??

Harold
Old November 14th, 2019, 01:13 AM   #3
topcarbon

I go no where without a helmet

i find anything else restricts my movement
Old November 14th, 2019, 06:10 AM   #4
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325TI View Post
Hello guys,

Do you wear protection when skating?

Well after many fails, I using knee, wrist and elbow pads.
I skate at rough surface, so ........
Anyone has a recommendation for protection for comfort wearing?

Thanks friendS!
I wear helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads.

Helmets are easy.

Wrist guards aren't too hard. Most everything works. You just need to find the suitable balance of protection versus comfort/flexibility. My favourites re 187 "Derby" and Salomon Gel sliders. The latter are easy to acquire, highly protective, and comfortable. They are not easily compatible with wearing a watch. Salomon Gel Sliders are even more comfortable, adequately protective, and watch compatible but next to impossible to acquire. They've been out of manufacture for 15 years.

Good knee pads are a challenge if speed is your game. Most are nearly worthless in a crash on top of being restrictive. My goto pads are Lizard Skins Softcell Knee pads. They are light, non-restrictive, and never slide off. They are also out of manufacture but only about three years so you can still eBay them. Sizing is limited and a bit tricky. When in doubt, get the Small/Medium. If they aren't pretty tight when you first try them on, you got the wrong size.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 06:23 AM   #5
1M_E

g-form d30 knee are awesome, slim like a knee gasket but can take the first hit.
1M_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 04:09 PM   #6
zebra1922

Indoors I wear knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards, outside I add gloves and a helmet.

I'm pretty competent now but as I'm still learning and trying stuff I fall over. Most of the time these are pretty innocuous falls but a few times I've been very glad of the protection to prevent serious injury, particularly to knees.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 06:59 PM   #7
BMW325TI

Thanks guys for help!

Yes I skate (speed and urban skates) outside mostly at pedestrian surface. And sometimes bicycle lane.
Yup after left wrist in pieces, I am aware how painful and hard time to recover

Will a look for your recommendations.

Thanks mates!
Old November 14th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I virtually never wear protective equipment.
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:40 PM   #9
fierocious1

After many times avoiding kids without direction and other accidents I began using wrist guards. Best decision i have made as far as gear. Took several hits on walls and a couple of hard falls last year, should have broken a wrist more than once, sore but no major damage. I never skate without them. Had sore wrists a couple of times before that lasted for several days, not any more.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:32 AM   #10
Skatervideoguy

Hi BMW325TI,

Aside from Mort, I agree with the others on wearing some kind of Protection.

Since it seems you're doing the "Outside" Skating, I would encourage you to be wearing the Kind with "Hard Shell" coverings for much better Sliding and over-all Protection. If you tend to Fall on your Hips or Back Side, then I would also suggest at least a FootBall style padding system for those two areas. Best would be the outerwear HardShell type.

I've worn the Elbo, Knee, and FootBall style Padding for more than 45yrs, and that's the only reason I'm still Skating at 73 after over 65yrs of Skating. I only Skate in Rinks, and seem to take Falls regularly. At 6'9" on Skates, and 220 lbs, I tend to hit pretty hard out of a Spin, Jump or Footwork sequence. You simply must protect your self if you want to have Skating longevity. (or be a hell of a lot better coordinated than I am)

Best wishes for a healthy Skating career.

Harold
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:26 AM   #11
BMW325TI

Thanks friends!

yES I totally agree, I want to skate longer as possible.

I have those hard shells protection and some bicycle helmets.
Will a look for softer protection, it will fail when crash (as said above), but saving my body is more important

I will also look some for shoulder protection, shoulders have shaving spots....
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:56 PM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

"wrist protection" can take different forms, with some being more effective than others. I skate with three different types.

The most basic type that provides the least protection is called a "palm slider". It is basically a glove very similar to a bicycling glove but it has a hard plate in the palm so that when you tumble and put your hands out they slide. Palm sliders do not keep wrists from flexing.

The second type is wrist brace that wraps around the hand and up the wrist. In the inner side of the brace is a stiff, strong bar that tries to keep the wrist from flexing too much. The bar also forms a 'bump' in the palm to act as a palm slider.

The third type I've used is a more robust form of wrist brace that has an added stiffener on the outer side which more fully restricts wrist flexion.

For general skating, training with the crew I am very familiar with and most racing I just use basic palm sliders. If I am planning on skating somewhere I'm not familiar with or folks I don't know I may use the basic wrist brace. For a certain race (Chicago) I use the robust brace. I've gone down there (nobody's fault) due to poor course conditions.

Look for the various other brands of wrist guards at snowboard equipment sites.
Old November 15th, 2019, 06:11 PM   #13
BMW325TI

Thanks

I have one with upper, lower plastic sheets and three velcro straps.
Old November 18th, 2019, 06:33 PM   #14
CKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
They are not easily compatible with wearing a watch.
I use wrist guards and have finally realized that I can just strap my watch to the wrist guard. I put it on the left wrist guard, attaching it to the space between my thumb and forefinger, so the watch band touches my skin there. It looks a little weird, but I can read the watch, I can easily access the functions on it, and it doesn't really get in my way.

I also wear a helmet and knee pads when I skate. The knee pads are mostly because my knees swell if I kneel, though. If I kneel without them to tie a little kids' skate, one lace is enough to cause me problems.
CKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #15
kufman

A helmet and maybe some slider gloves. For certain outdoor conditions I wear sunglasses to protect from flying stones.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 04:18 PM   #16
kentek

Default skid

I always wear helmet and gloves with skid plates. I still fall once every 3 - 4 years.

kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #17
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
I always wear helmet and gloves with skid plates. I still fall once every 3 - 4 years.

Normally I take a fall or 2 every year. So far in the last few years not due to my own errors, but debris and kids.