S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 19th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #1
polishedball

Default Transition back to front help

Hi, first off I can't skate backwards well at all only can do it using in/out hourglass motion. Anyhow I can transition from front to back quite smoothly turning on my toe heel to heel then turnig out the front skate on the toes. I think I explained that right. Anyhow the issue is I can't get turned back arround smoothly. I have tried a multi step more dace/stepping count and that works at very slow stopped speed but not while moving. I have tried kinda the opposite going heel to heel again picking up one skate to get heel to heel then rotating out on the heel of the other. That has worked best, but any links or explainations done better than mine that can explain what to do?

Thanks
polishedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 08:49 AM   #2
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
Hi, first off I can't skate backwards well at all only can do it using in/out hourglass motion. Anyhow I can transition from front to back quite smoothly turning on my toe heel to heel then turnig out the front skate on the toes. I think I explained that right. Anyhow the issue is I can't get turned back arround smoothly. I have tried a multi step more dace/stepping count and that works at very slow stopped speed but not while moving. I have tried kinda the opposite going heel to heel again picking up one skate to get heel to heel then rotating out on the heel of the other. That has worked best, but any links or explainations done better than mine that can explain what to do?

Thanks
I haven't got a video link but I believe one of the easiest transitions is just to step out forwards.

You are going backwards. Go onto your right foot, lifting the left, open your hips by beginning to turn anti clockwise (to the left!), then land your left foot in a forwards direction (does not have to be full 180 degrees), step out and skate on forwards. Reverse the instructions for a step out to the right side.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Theres a stepping pattern I often use to change from backwards to forwards. Maybe this weekend I'll get another skater to take a video of it.

Do you skate in a rink or outdoors?

If in a rink, going from backwards to forwards is usually easier if you rotate your body clockwise while skating in the normal rink direction(counter clockwise direction). If they are doing an "opposite direction" skate , going from backwards to forwards should be easier by rotating your body counter clockwise. This is even more so in a turn, as it will greatly cut down on the mount of rotation needed.

Stepping around also depends on one's hip flexibility. Edge work can help get you there too. Depending on which way you are rotating will depend on which foot you should initiate the transition with, and which foot you will be stepping onto first in the forwards direction.

Example would be if rotating clockwise, your initiation would be on the left foot, using the outer edge, with hard pressure on the blade of your foot to make it turn. This allows it to assist turning you around as you step around with your right foot.
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:19 PM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Theres a stepping pattern I often use to change from backwards to forwards. Maybe this weekend I'll get another skater to take a video of it.

Do you skate in a rink or outdoors?

If in a rink, going from backwards to forwards is usually easier if you rotate your body clockwise while skating in the normal rink direction(counter clockwise direction). If they are doing an "opposite direction" skate , going from backwards to forwards should be easier by rotating your body counter clockwise. This is even more so in a turn, as it will greatly cut down on the mount of rotation needed.

Stepping around also depends on one's hip flexibility. Edge work can help get you there too. Depending on which way you are rotating will depend on which foot you should initiate the transition with, and which foot you will be stepping onto first in the forwards direction.

Example would be if rotating clockwise, your initiation would be on the left foot, using the outer edge, with hard pressure on the blade of your foot to make it turn. This allows it to assist turning you around as you step around with your right foot.
I agree with all you said. Now here's a tip I learned from a professional. Get your head in the game because it is where the turn begins. Your feet will follow your head. To easily turn from backward to forward, with arm extended, point behind you and then step into the turn. The pointing allows the upper body to control the turn, not your feet.
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:33 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHBagetaL2c

This is a good visual.
I think you should get comfortable going forwards, all wheels down, just scissors, moving the legs around and doing tight turns, slowly, drop your butt, better balance and more leg movement, then start doing that going backwards, before you know it you'll forget about transitions.

Wrist Guards.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #6
polishedball

Thank you all for the replies, i'll try the tips and review the video suggested.

I do skate indoors currently
Old November 21st, 2019, 12:06 PM   #7
polishedball

tried some of the pointing and head turn to get my body an hips correct, and wow the transition back to front smoothed right out. Thanks all
Old November 21st, 2019, 05:21 PM   #8
zebra1922

Now to try it whilst jumping
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
tried some of the pointing and head turn to get my body an hips correct, and wow the transition back to front smoothed right out. Thanks all
A wide exaggerated arm movement can help too. It "commits" your body, and then your feet are obligated to do what is needed. I like doing that towards the end of session when I get tired. Take whichever arm, put it out in front of you. If you are going clockwise, right arm. Sweep the arm out to the side. When the arm gets to your side, locks in place, and that momentum starts to turn your torso as your arm continues to move on its' path. Now you are committed to the transition. I'll usually sweep my right toe back to follow the arm, and lift my left toe and pivot on my heel to complete the transition.