S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 7th, 2018, 01:00 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Why are fiberglass wheels such small diameter?

Are the skaters trying to control speed?
Balance?
Or is it just an image thing?
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 01:27 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Balance?
No grip, plenty of roll, plenty of slip. Must be great at balance in the mean time. Image is what it is about, except with a lower CG.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:13 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Great Question and I definitely don't know the answer.

You definitely will roll slower with smaller diameter wheels? Right?

Also, a lot of skaters/trick skaters, skate really slow and do a lot of tricks on skates. So they don't need to skate fast nor do they want to.

Balance?

A lot of skaters roll on smaller wheels for balance. You are a lot lower to the ground and feel much safer on your skates. You have a lot more control of your skating.

I don't think it is an image thing. I think that is just the type of wheel it is and blends nicely with what they are trying to perform on skates. If the wheels were really big, they wouldn't be able to do the tricks they do on those type of wheels as easily.

Shape follows form.

My two cent...lol! And I definitely don't know why the wheels are smaller in diameter. It would be neat to ask Sure Grip the maker of some of those smaller diameter fiberglass wheels and Adonis, the smallest diameter wheels I have ever seen. Even the bearings that go in those wheels are extremely small.

Also, if look at some of the hottest plates on the market, extra effort has been made to make the plates sit as low to the floor as possible. Match that with Adonis Small Diameter fiberglass wheels and shoes that sit extremely low to the ground you have a very safe skate that you can do tricks on easily.

So, it's not really for the looks, but it sure get's you attention doesn't it...lol!

Sincerely

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 12:31 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Fads are fads, tiny wheels look great, spin up and stop faster, and if for sliding are more predictable, Adonis makes urethane wheels from 88 to 98a, and they are 50mm, tiny, I have a set on my longboard, they, in the 98a could be slid but why? Expensive...
For sliding, get sliding wheels, clay or hard fiberglass.

Tiny hard wheels look great and slide forever, it takes skill to go fast on wheels with no traction, fads are great.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 05:23 PM   #5
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I always liked smaller wheels, suited my skating style well (fast, darty shuffle). When I was skating in the 70's early 80's I rolled on Metaflex TinyTots. I don't remember what diameter they were but they were a good bit smaller than the standard Metaflex wheels.
I don't even know if they were polyurethane or hard plastic.
I loved those wheels, they were fast, maneuverable, stuck when you wanted them to stick and broke loose when you wanted them to break loose.
This has been one of my biggest challenges getting back into skating, finding the perfect wheel.
I have white Shamans, Labeda Ruby Stilletos and SureGrip Varsity + at the time.
At first I couldn't stand any of them, those stupid grooves they machine in them suck and the Varsity were as cast. They were anything but flat across the wheel. All I had was a little contact patch inboard and outboard, the majority of the wheel surface wasn't even touching the floor.
I made an arbor and turned all 3 sets in my lathe, knocked the silly grooves off and trued up the Varsity's.
I have skated the Shamans and Stilettos since and what a huge difference turning them made!
Will try and skate the Varsity's this week on a fresh wood floor.
Old January 7th, 2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Smaller wheels put you closer to the ground, and its easier to control than the exact same wheel width , hardness but with a larger OD.

Smaller wheels have less grip than larger wheels as well, both static and dynamic frictions

Those combined conditions result in a much easier to skate slider setup. Once you learn to slide skates such as plow, hockey etc, that is.