S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Sure-Grip PowerTrac trucks

Has anyone here got Sure-Grip PowerTracs with the alloys trucks and they've removed the paint? Is the alloy underneath nice enough to be polished up to match the plates? Any issues with replacing the supplied axles with clip types?
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:01 AM   #2
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I would say if the paint/powder is properly removed without scratching the underneath alloy surface then yeah, it could be polished.
Can't answer the axle replacement ?, sorry
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Has anyone here got Sure-Grip PowerTracs with the alloys trucks and they've removed the paint? Is the alloy underneath nice enough to be polished up to match the plates?

Not those trucks in particular, but I suspect they will not be pretty enough to polish straight up. They are sand cast and the surface is not real pretty. Even after sanding, the surface is really too soft to hold a good polish. It's why SG either tumble polishes the silver trucks or powder coats them. You need a good dense alloy to get a really deep long lasting shine.

Any issues with replacing the supplied axles with clip types?

Depends on what axle SG is using in that truck. If it is a straight profile axle ( and I suspect it is ) you will have to bore the axle hole in the housing a bit to take the SG profile axle. Both the SG and Rannalli flip axles are larger than 7mm in the middle and you will either wreck the end of the axle or split the truck forcing it in.

I have a couple of Boen axles that are straight but not splined. Now, if you know of some splined straight profile 7mm flip axles, I'd love to hear about them..
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #4
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Asking Sure-Grip now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

Depends on what axle SG is using in that truck. If it is a straight profile axle ( and I suspect it is ) you will have to bore the axle hole in the housing a bit to take the SG profile axle. Both the SG and Rannalli flip axles are larger than 7mm in the middle and you will either wreck the end of the axle or split the truck forcing it in.

I have a couple of Boen axles that are straight but not splined. Now, if you know of some splined straight profile 7mm flip axles, I'd love to hear about them..
I'm currently waiting for Sure-Grip to get back to me to see if they'll pre-install some flip axles for me before shipping them. The local importer has Sure-Grip 7mm axles in stock if they can't, but like you say, that's not necessarily the determining factor.

Hopefully they'll also have something to say about the alloy under the power coating on the trucks; rough casting can be dealt with; porous alloy, not so. Might be easier living with the supplied trucks until I can find a matching truck shape in bare alloy and 7 or 8mm flip axles; not a lot around to suit a 7 degree truck.
Old December 24th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #5
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

The suregrip flip axels are crap.
Fit the rannalis or boen ones....
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
I'm currently waiting for Sure-Grip to get back to me to see if they'll pre-install some flip axles for me before shipping them. The local importer has Sure-Grip 7mm axles in stock if they can't, but like you say, that's not necessarily the determining factor.

If you don't hear back, let me know. I know they can, it just means a change in the production flow.

Hopefully they'll also have something to say about the alloy under the power coating on the trucks; rough casting can be dealt with; porous alloy, not so.

Well, what I told you was not verbatim from SG because it came several years ago while having this same discussion.

Might be easier living with the supplied trucks until I can find a matching truck shape in bare alloy

Good luck w/ that. Since trucks with pivot cups are very rare, I don't think you will have a lot of luck finding what you are looking for. That said, there are some odd ball things on the lower side of the world, so you may get lucky.

and 7 or 8mm flip axles; not a lot around to suit a 7 degree truck.
Sadly I know of no after market 8mm flip axles, and currently no one w/ and manufacturing capacity or time to do it, is making 7mm flip axles for the aftermarket. I fear when the last of them are gone, that will be it. So if you run across anyone getting into the game, by all means, let us know.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Sadly I know of no after market 8mm flip axles, and currently no one w/ and manufacturing capacity or time to do it, is making 7mm flip axles for the aftermarket. I fear when the last of them are gone, that will be it. So if you run across anyone getting into the game, by all means, let us know.
That's pretty much what I've found. The local importer, Go4Sports, has some Sure-Grip 7mm flip axles in stock, but as for finding some Boens etc, they're not exactly lying around in boxes.

AHHH... wait on, I've just been reading more about the history and characteristics of the PowerTrac plate, and seen a close-up picture. The pivot socket is in the truck, not the plate, and the ball joint is screwed into the plate! Well, that changes everything.

I'm just being too sentimental about flip axles. The configuration of the plate is what it is, and it's not practical to change it.

Last edited by Sunnyape; December 26th, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
The suregrip flip axels are crap. Fit the rannalis or boen ones....
What aspect of the Sure-Grips do you think is crap? The strength / durability of the axle, or the security / quality of the flips?
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #9
HeBeGB

Quote:
What aspect of the Sure-Grips do you think is crap? The strength / durability of the axle, or the security / quality of the flips?
The flips themselves are not good. I kept losing wheels after hockey stopping on a set. Changed the flips and all is good.
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #10
likkwid
likkwid

The flips are flimsy, and not built nearly as rovust as the rannali flip axles
likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by likkwid View Post
The flips are flimsy, and not built nearly as rovust as the rannali flip axles
I'm guessing you meant robust?? Care to define the type and quantity of failure modes you have observed on the SG flips??
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #12
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
The suregrip flip axels are crap.
Fit the rannalis or boen ones....
I'd love to fit some NOS Boens...

As to Rannallis I have used those and most of them bent. Not to mention the sharp point on the lever could draw blood. Good if you want to run .400" bearing spacer wheels but other than that I'd leave them alone. I think I have some if you want to prove your love....

I have skated Sure-Grip flips for years with no failures. I'm not exactly gentile either.

Old December 28th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #13
fierocious1

I have Wild flips, love them..!!!
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #14
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Suregrip flips are mild steel not hardened. They bend jam up .
Really crap.
Rannalis are much better. But to long for alot of trucks.
Boens are the best .At worst a roll pin will come out.
I always manage to find the pin and flip .Dumb luck i guess.
You can buy spares now.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:46 AM   #15
likkwid
likkwid

Quote:
I'm guessing you meant robust?? Care to define the type and quantity of failure modes you have observed on the SG flips??
Yes, I meant robust lol....

Had some xk-4's, skins, and magnums fitted with clip axles, and the one component of the sure grip flip axles that I found failed wasn't the axle or flip itself, but the spring pin/roll pin that secures the clip to the axle
Old January 3rd, 2018, 02:52 AM   #16
likkwid
likkwid

On another note though, I do remember bending quite a few of them. There were another set I owned that were full threaded, and those were by far, the worst.
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:08 AM   #17
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Trucks will polish 'OK'.

I got a response back from Sure-Grip. Yes, the paint (or powder coating) can be stripped off and the underlying alloy polished, but they only say the result will be "OK", which could mean anything.

They said their own 7mm axles don't fit the PowerTrac trucks. I'll use them as they are and see what other options my idle mind can come up with.

Anyone been able to get MOTA 8mm flip axles as a spare part? MOTA don't respond to any of my emails.