S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old November 21st, 2006, 04:05 AM   #1
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Default Trail Ratings

I'd like to put together a trail rating guide based on a scoring system 1thru 5, 5 being the worst and 1 being obviously the best. Beyond that definite criteria would be used to measure such as rough surface, lots of hills, poor repair, very crowded, comfort such as water, benches and toilets. Anyone think of other criteria we might add? This might help to identify expert level trails versus beginner level. It would also open new trails to those who travel and are in strange places. There is so much diversity here that we really could have a decent trail guide.

Phil
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

trail width
hills lenths and grades
sharp turns
dog walkers / daisy pickers
crossroads
open / isolated
setting, noise, sceenery
access points
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #3
skaterdog

I would add trail maintenance....how often is are sticks, leaves, poop etc. cleaned off the trail.

And protection from wind and sun....how much tree cover is there.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM   #4
speedysktr
President of Everything

... and the ladies. Don't forget the ladies. oh and the relative availability of Courvoisier, the ladies man has always got a nice supply of Courvoisier.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

If people want to share photos of their favorite trails, I will make a special page on this Web site for each of those trails. After I make each trail page, we can create a new discussion for the trail, and I'll link to that discussion on the trail photo page. If we do that, anybody who wants to can view the photo and then post their own review of the trail in our forum. l can also make an index page to all of those trails, organized by country, region, and city.

What do you think?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:53 AM   #6
gbo
once faster than a wocket

size of rodents - chipmunks and I are developing a history but collisions with them don't cause me to fall. However, I've begun rethinking dusk skates as lots of deer frequent some of my trails and I just think that I might not emerge unscathed from one of those collisions.

Benches?! Is our age showing?

Some gentlemen need more Courvoisier than others.

(way too easy and I'm too weak to resist)
gbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:34 AM   #7
speedysktr
President of Everything

Funny, I seem to require Courvoisier to tolerate certain women, some more than others. ...and some don't even appear on my radar until I've had copious amounts of Courvoisier, yeah that's right, Courvoisier Goggles.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM   #8
gbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Funny, I seem to require Courvoisier to tolerate certain women, some more than others. ...and some don't even appear on my radar until I've had copious amounts of Courvoisier, yeah that's right, Courvoisier Goggles.
touche'
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM   #9
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
If people want to share photos of their favorite trails, I will make a special page on this Web site for each of those trails. After I make each trail page, we can create a new discussion for the trail, and I'll link to that discussion on the trail photo page. If we do that, anybody who wants to can view the photo and then post their own review of the trail in our forum. l can also make an index page to all of those trails, organized by country, region, and city.

What do you think?

- Kathie
You might want to glean some ideas from this trail map: http://www.skateminnesota.org/trails/graphicmap.html
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #10
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Then we can link it all together with a google map...
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #11
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Made it to Yuma. Still looking for bike or skating trails. Temps are great, 83 degrees for a high. I will try the river and se if they have built anything down there. I think the rink has closed...disconnected number . Keep you posted on this. Those benches ure are nice for us old guys
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #12
gbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Made it to Yuma. Still looking for bike or skating trails. Temps are great, 83 degrees for a high. I will try the river and se if they have built anything down there. I think the rink has closed...disconnected number . Keep you posted on this. Those benches ure are nice for us old guys
I 'spose once you've made it to Senior Grand Poobah if you want benches you get benches.

Too bad about the weather. You have my sympathy.
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #13
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I'd rate the trails low due to theire crosscrossing in traffic and across activie railroad tracks. There are numerous trails one can skate and one is being built near the river. They are the standard 3 or so meters across with a line drawn down the middle. Upkeep is lacking but functional. You need to get on 1st street and go to Av C and you will plug in nicely. Temps were great and they are lightly used. The best kept secret about Yuma is its hockey rink. An outdoor cement rink with nets and all. You may reserve the rink for an hour or two and there are teams! Next to it is a small skate park which bicycles and boarders rule although inliners were to be seen. My view was a snapshot but skating in Yuma is growing as teams and trails expand. There was a roller rink but it closed this summer due to lack of interest. Thre trails I'd rate as a 3.5 due to traffic and train crossing. Good luck if you visit. Phil