S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #41
Bill

BRIKee, nice article and cool photo. Thank You for sharing.
, lots of history and memories at all rinks each and everyone is special an countless stories can be told about them..
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #42
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Default Old Riverdale

Thanks little Rick. Brings back such memories. I think I know each of those poles on a personal basis. lol. I also spent a lot of time working on that sign to keep it running. Your Grandfather and Great Grandfather were great people and loved the skaters.
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #43
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

I didnt even see South Carolina much less any city near me or mine
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #44
brikkee

Thank you guys hears another one i don't know any thing about this rink but maybe some of you do.

Old May 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #45
brikkee

Old May 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #46
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Have some pictures of that Place

Hi Brikkee,

Thanks so much..

In a book I have there are some pictures of that place in Rhode Island and it shows the many young wealthy (mostly fully covered) females and males lined up for a photo moment. The interesting thing to me was the quantity of rich young people that went to Session Skating as a thing to do that the POOR couldn't do.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #47
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
Thank you guys hears another one i don't know any thing about this rink but maybe some of you do.

Oh wow! Where did you find this???
This had a happy ending, Harry rebuilt and lived long enough to see people having fun in his rink before he died. I skate there every Sunday.

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #48
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Default Rich and young

SkatingDave,

Can you let me know when the picture in the book that you have was taken? I skated at the old Riverdale in the late 50's thru the 60's and never remember the "rich" people skating. In the club, we were just kids that loved skating and worked our tails off in order to afford the lessons and sessions. This was on the third floor of an old mill building. Nothing fancy about this rink but the friendly owners and skaters.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #49
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default 1860's Not 1960s

Hi Sailor,

Read the clipping it was 1866 not 1960.

Old May 29th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #50
brikkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Oh wow! Where did you find this???
This had a happy ending, Harry rebuilt and lived long enough to see people having fun in his rink before he died. I skate there every Sunday.

Bob
You can thank my dad 3 on the right for saving all this good stuff so i can pass it on to you. the museum did give him any thing for his donations

Old May 29th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #51
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Riverdale, RI in the 1950-60s

Hey R.I.-Sailor,

How about a trip down 1950-1960 memory lane at Riverdale. A memory trip way before Brikkee was born to RGYoung. Talk about those poles you hit and talk about the skating and the people.

Memories ARE more than great articles.

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #52
Skatemore

Default The Hub

I keep a historical website for the great Chicago area rinks that closed.

Visit here: www.orbitskate.net and click on The Hub

Last count, we had about 1600 roller rinks nationwide left.
Skatemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #53
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default History, Rink in Michigan and my wandering thru them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
As I'm updating the roller skating rink directory at QuadSkating.com I'm realizing that a really huge number of roller skating rinks have closed in the last 10 or 15 years. I'm under the impression that at least half of the roller skating rinks that once existed have closed and it could be closer to 2/3.

If you have memories, stories, pictures, or general information to share - good or bad - about any roller skating rink that has closed anywhere in the world, please post them in this thread. If you can remember anything about a closed roller rink's history, owners, coaches, clubs, teams, skaters or location, or if you know what business replaced the rink please post that information here also. Help us preserve the memory of the great roller skating rinks of the past.

- Kathie
Well being that it's historical :-)

I started skating in the early 1950's at a little pillered rink up stairs from an Engineering firm in Royal Oak, Michigan. The rink is long gone, but it is where I found my first Pro Mr. Walsh, and my first love his daughter Carol, who went on to many National placements. Mr. Walsh moved me to what was the main roller rink in the Dteroit area at the time, The Arcadia, on Woodward Ave. near downtown Detroit. I skated there, trying to and playing at Juvenile Dance and Pairs with Carol Walsh, until around 1958. The Arcadia was an amazing place National Champions abounded. I learned to jump just following the several National contender senior men that skated there. The old Arcadia went to the wrecking ball some time in the 1960's I believe, I remember skating the last public session there somewhere around 1964 or 5??? ANd killing my self trying to see who could still land what jumps, and my Axel still wasn't there :-)

The rink I considered home for many years after that, was the Motor City Rink at Nine Mile and Van Dyke in Warren, Michigan. http://www.guarnieri.com/motorcity/shows.htm

It was at the Motor City rink that I ended taking lessons from Bill Pate, a man I know I frustrated badly, with my inability to land a decent single Axel, while jumping every other jump with ease, but the Axel just wasn't my jump??? The Motor City had a great floor, a bit small. I skated Dance, Figures, Pairs, and Fours while there along with Speed and Roller Hockey as a member of the Motor City Bulldog's. My prtner there was Pamala Lucas, we skated together until 1964. The Motorcity Rink lost it's battel with the wrecking ball in 1986. Some of the other Pro at Motor City were Rose Martin, Charlie Wahlig, and of course Bill and Gail Pate

The actual first indoor rink I ever skated at which later became a home for me was the Clawson Roller Rink, in Clawson, Michigan about 14 miles North of the City of Detroit. The rink was located on Fourteen Miles road, near Main Street. I frist ventured there in 1950 or 51?? The original owner was Johnny Stone, the last owner was Butch Gagnan(sic) The rink is now a furniture store :-( But it does still have the otiginal floor and a Skating wall of fame. I skated Freestyle, Dance and Pairs while I skated at Clawson, while there I took lessons from Bee Green who was the pro there at the time.

Another old now gone rink in the Detroit area was Mcky Dunn's Mt Clemens Roller rink, with is now a Dental office. Yes the rink was a bit small and narrow. After I became a retread skater in the late 1970's I skated at Mt Clnmens and took dance lessons for Micky's daugther Kathy Dunn.

My last home rink was Riverside Arean in Livonia Michigan (1979-1990) and as far as I know it's still going strong. When I was skating dance back in the sixties at Motor City with my Dnce partner Pamla Lucas, we used to go to Riverside to stretch out our dance patterns. And get laughed at for our Americal Style of dancing as Riverside was the "Other" Association, that skated that funny bent out of shape International style. We did manage to learn to skate the Tango Barn dance, with it's funny reverse direction sequences. And later as a retread Riverside became my home rink and I was a member of the Judges Panel there. And I finally cme to embrace the International stle of dance, the Harris Tango becoming one of my favorite dances, especilly when I got to dance it with Kahty Dunn, we had a blast until she decied to get married and top skating :-(

As you noted many rinks are just not arund any longer, and it has to be a sign of the times, less skater fewer rinks needed.. When I moved from Michigan in Jluy 2004 I found a rink out here, in New Hampshire, near by, Good Times Skating Center, in Merrimack, NH. Where I ran into my old friend Cynthia Gates, who was retired from Michigan and teaching there on occaision. The people that owned the rink were very into officiating at Nationals,I was getting interested in getting back into judging and refereeing, but the rink closed shortly after I started skating there. There were so few people skating the sessions that it didn't surprise me at all that the place closed . And it now a "For Sale" abandoned building :-(

Oh well so much for rambling history :-(

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM   #54
Sk8Family

Default More from Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
These rinks are not on the list.

Rollercade
Skateworld
Shadow Mountain
Tempe Skateland
All of the above rinks are now closed

Additional rinks not on the list (from what I can remember):
Skate World – Chandler (later Sports Spectrum, later Skateland Chandler) (open - artistic club)
Rollero – Phoenix (open)
Skateland – Mesa (open – artistic club)
Rollerworld - Tempe (later Skateland Tempe, later Surfside Skate) (closed)
Great Skate – Glendale (aka Skateland Glendale) (open – artistic club)
North Baptist Church - Phoenix
Skate Town – Prescott (later Roller Rave) (open)
Skate Ranch – Prescott Valley
Roller Ranch – Kingman (closed)
Roll-A-Rena - Kingman
Marty’s Roll-A-Round – Coolidge (closed)
Roll-8 – Casa Grande
Skate Stop - Casa Grande (closed)
Skate Country East – Tucson (open – artistic club)
The Bull Rink – Bullhead City (closed)
Rollerland - Yuma (closed)

There was also a rink in Flagstaff (very very small) but I don't remember the name.

I was fortunate enough to skate at every single rink on this list including the ones in the quote.

My Roller homes were:
Skateworld (Phoenix) was my very first skating rink. 76-79, 86-92
Rollerland (Phoenix) 79-82
Greate Skate (Glendale) 82-84, 92-98
Rollercade (Phoenix) 85-86
Surfside Skate (Tempe) 98-05

Of the Arizona Rinks posted by brikke, none are in operation. Rollerland was the only one operating when I skated there in ’79. I believe it closed around '82.
Sk8Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM   #55
70's skater

Default MA Area

Ok, closed or gone are: Wal-Lex, Rolland, Bal-a Rue, Surfwood, Whalom Park, Lincoln Park, Marshfield, Weymouth, Broyles Arena, New Riverdale, Canobie Lake
70's skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #56
Iggy
DGS Racing

My original home rink in North Huntingdon, PA. closed twice. It was three different names in it's life. I can't remember what it was first, but that was before my day. I think it was called Saddie's Place, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I do know that the rink was on the main floor and there was a restaurant upstairs.

When I started going it was called Norwin Skateland. The rink was on one side of the building and a gym on the other side. No restaurant though. I was up where it was a couple times and it looked like it was actually a pretty nice place. Little restaurant and bar with a small stage for live bands. I started goin skating there for school skating parties in elementary school. Then I started goin on Wednesday nights to the Organ Music session. I was a Boy Scout at the time goin for my Skating merit badge. My uncle was the merit badge counsler for it and that's when he went. He taught me a few dances there (Circle Waltz, Blues, Tango, etc.) and I really liked it. I actually got my first job there to get my first pair of good skates. The DJ (older guy playin cassettes of organ music songs he recorded) told me I needed better skates than my cheap vinyl Chicagos and there was a good pair of used good Chicago art skates at the rink for sale for $250. I couldn't afford it and my parents had been suggesting that I get a job, so the DJ and me talked to the rink owner about me working there and the owner taking $20 out of each paycheck to pay off the skates. So that's how I got my first job and my first pair of good skates. I worked there for many years until I got a different, better paying job. Also, just like many of us on here, I met my first girlfriend there. Didn't really work out in the long run, but still. The floor was never really good and the music on the weekend sessions went down hill toward the end, but it was still home.

Then while I was in high school, the rink got sold and closed down. There was alot of speculation that the new owner was going to tear it down. The new owner actually was an owner of two other rinks I had been to. He did alot of renovations and reopened it as Blazers. He completely redid the floor and it was nice. The snack bar was moved to the old lobby of the gym. That was very cool because where it was moved to was at the end of the rink floor and one floor up, so you could sit at the tables in the snack bar and look out over the rink. That was very nice. The music was pretty good. Good skating songs with a little Metallica and AC/DC type stuff mixed in. It stayed goin for a few years. Then the crowds dwindled, the metal took over the good skating music, and the floor went to crap.

The rink closed quite a few years ago now and the owner turned it into a restaurant/bar kinda place called Pluma. I think it's kinda like Dave and Busters with food and video games and stuff. I dunno for sure. Never been in there. I'm too worried that if I go in there and see the rink floor with tables and stuff on it I might cry lol. I actually did cry when Skateland closed. Started tearin up as I was the last person stepping off the floor. That place was my second home from like 6th grade through high school. I made alot of friends there and developed my love of skating there. It was never the nicest or biggest rink or the best floor. lol I actually have very fond memories of jumping the buckets placed in the middle of the floor to catch the water dripping in through the holes in the roof, putting towels in front of the side door to keep the water from coming in onto the floor, dodging the washboarded sections in the floor. You know, all the stuff we complain about lol. But like I said, it may not have been pretty, but it was home
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #57
batterin' gram

Default Former Rinks

One was Melody Skateland on the west side of Indianapolis. It had one of the nicest wood floors that I have ever skated. I set a couple of speed records there back in the days when they kept state records. It was a shame when it burned to the ground.

Another place I remember was a tiny rink in Maxwell Indiana. I don't remember the name of the place, but they had a concrete floor. I only went there a couple of times, and since I moved out of Indiana 15 years ago, I don't know if it is even still there.

A rink where I spent lots of time was called Skateway. It was on Pendleton Pike between Lawrence and Oaklandon, IN. The track in the place was something like 67 meters, making it only a little bigger than a derby track. When my son was 5, they offered 6 weeks of free speed lessons. We took the lessons together and were hooked. The people that owned Skateway also owned Roller Cave and that's where the speed team was based, so the Cave became our skating home. However, all the middle school age kids in Lawrence, Oaklandon, and McCordsville hung out at Skateway. There were times when I dropped off my kid there to skate, then drove over to the Cave to hang out with my friends from the team. Those were great times. The couple that owned the two rinks got a divorce - he got the Cave and she got Skateway. A couple years later she died, and Skateway was sold to some people who changed the name to Skatemor. They had it for a few years, then sold it and the building was converted to an auto repair place.

The last place I recall I only skated a couple of times. It was called Skatedium and was in St. Paul, MN. It had a great wood floor. The building is still there. I don't know if the floor is still in it or not. I think it is a warehouse or something. Anyway, there are no rinks in St. Paul proper. I wish there was one so we could have a speed team.
batterin' gram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #58
golfboyfl

Default Central Florida Rinks

We had a few rinks in our area when I was growing up. The main one I went to was Starlite Skate Center in Merritt Island which was just a mile away from my house...basically grew up in that place. I remember getting there on Saturday mornings and staying until 11:30 at night almost every week. The guy who ran the place would let us rink rats stay in the rink and skate in between sessions if we would help put up rentals, sweep floors, etc. Starlite became a place called Colorz in the mid 90's I believe and then closed a few years ago...breaks my heart everytime I drive by the boarded up building.

We also had a rink in Melbourne called Galaxy that I believe is still open and of course both Semoran and Universal in Orlando which is where I go now!
golfboyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #59
Skatervideoguy

Default Past Rinks In The Mid West

Here's a few of the Rinks I've skated in, that have closed over the past 5 decades.

The Rollaway Rink,
The Highland Crest Rink,
The Skyline Rink,
The Apollo Rink, All these 4 in Topeka, Ks.

Two Rinks in Manhatan, Ks.

The Alma Skating Rink - Alma, Ks.

In Lawrence, Ks. two Rinks gone

In Paola, Ks. - one Rink gone

In Iron River, Michican - one Rink burned down - a friend built it out of an old theater there.

In Pittsburg, Ks. - two Rinks gone, the older one had the walls fold out for ventilation in the summers.

In the Kansas City Metro Area:

The Mission Roller Rink - Mission, Ks.
The El Torian, KCMO
A very old Rink in downtown KCK
Rhythm Lane Roller Rink, KCMO
Skatland East on Bannister Rd, KCMO
Skateland of Grandview, Mo. - the newer Rink
Grandview Skating Rink, An older Rink in Grandview, Mo.
Lenexa Roller Skateland at I35 and 87th, Lenexa, Ks.
Two Rinks at Highland Skate Center - Two different buildings across the street from each other, over the years - KCK
B & D Rolladium East - Independence, Mo.
B & G Rolladium North - Independence, Mo.
Coachlite South, I-435 & Reo Ave. in Overland Park, Ks. I Met my wife of 23 yrs. at this one.
Blue Ridge Roller Rink, Independence, Mo.

Three Rinks here in Olathe, Ks - where I live.

A Skating Rink in an old strip mall store in St. Joe, Mo.

A two floored Rink in Albuquerque, New Mexico, down the street from the University.

At least three Rinks in Las Vegas, Navada

At least three Rinks in Phoneix, Airizona

At least three Rinks in Austin, Tx.

After all these years, I can't remember the names of many of the Rinks I've been in, but this group still comes to mind. I sure there are many other's now closed too, but I've not revisited all the areas I've been to, and tried to skate again, to find out.

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; September 21st, 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #60
Skateway

Default Closed Roller rinks

Does anyone remember the old roller rink in Olympia, Washington? It was called the Patterson Lake roller rink, and it was owned by the Suess family. I lived not too far from that rink, and it was my home away from home.
Skateway is offline   Reply With Quote