S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 4th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Quad POV

Mounted a cheap Vivitar action camera($60) from walmart on my skate. Not a great video but it lets you see how much action your skate actually gets if you run a soft cushion setup on a quad skate. The plate is leaned over quite a bit mostly at the end of the stroke. Not a lot of speed but I am passing everybody.

https://youtu.be/MFOPAONB9VA
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #2
wired

The horror!

The horror!

(skatemates...)

Old September 4th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #3
amohrfeld

But how much is foot movement and how much is cushion compression?

Can you mount the camera on the side of the boot and point the camera at the front truck?

Sometimes I look down at my feet and get amazed by how much twist is in the truck.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
But how much is foot movement and how much is cushion compression?

Can you mount the camera on the side of the boot and point the camera at the front truck?

Sometimes I look down at my feet and get amazed by how much twist is in the truck.
LOTS on my rig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTo5_fHmI8k

I have a couple more mods to do on this setup, then I'll move in to another setup. Working on installing a truck centering ball on the KP. Then there will only be app .005 or so side play at the cushion area, none at the pivot... At this point the centering ball will be a radiused 3/8"ferrule installed between the upper and lower cushions that contact the truck cushion pockets. Will probably start making them up this evening.
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I like that shot a lot better. Easier to keep a frame of reference. Can't wait to see your next setup from the same POV!

Old September 4th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I like that shot a lot better. Easier to keep a frame of reference. Can't wait to see your next setup from the same POV!

I was digging into some old boxes today and found some aluminum hex stock.....
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:40 AM   #7
wired

Quote:
I was digging into some old boxes today and found some aluminum hex stock.....
Sounds like time to make some swarf!

Old September 6th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #8
amohrfeld

Yup that last video is very informative. Also you can see why that crack is forming in the cushion. Have you tried a longer cushion setup on the bottom? In my opinion the bottom is stiffer then the top double barrel. This has been my concern for every skate setup.
Old September 7th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Yup that last video is very informative. Also you can see why that crack is forming in the cushion. Have you tried a longer cushion setup on the bottom? In my opinion the bottom is stiffer then the top double barrel. This has been my concern for every skate setup.
I am exploring khiro long cones. But have already shimmed back up on the front and the damage has been nullified. I felt that I could move on from the slowest turn response setting and not machine the trucks for clearance. I was at the end of the range and would have to machine the trucks to go further. One thing too is that when you change hardnesses on the bottom cushion, it directly affects things at the end of the stroke on my skates. The harder the lower cushion, the less the lower cone deforms. That sends more energy to the cushions above the truck, deforming the softer cushion on top of the truck. Then as the upper cushion is at it's limit(more resistant), more pressure is transferred to the top cushion slightly deforming it too. When you reach this point, the pivot/caster angle is changing(near stroke end). It's like a two step system. At lesser lean, all is pretty much set. But at extreme plate angles or stroke end the upper cushion will deform and compress, as it does this, the centerline of the truck moves up toward the plate(increasing turn radius).
You only have a fixed amount of space for the truck to work. The distance between the KP nut and the plate. Cushions control where the truck actually resides during the cycle of the plate leaning over. AS the pressure balances, the truck is moved toward and away from the plate. If you look closely at the video of the truck moving, toward the end, you can see the top cushion compress a bit at the center. It doesn't take a lot to move caster around and affect things, no affect straight up, but the more pressure put on the cushions, the more you can see. I could change the top cone to a yellow instead of the purple and it would become very easy to see.

At this time, the cushion setup is yellow, yellow, purple(top). If I put a purple on the bottom, the upper cushion will compress more and the pushback at the end of the stroke will be less.
If I put a blue on the bottom, I will gain a lot of pushback from the skate at the end of the stroke.
So changing the bottom provides me with what I want my pushback to be. My caster angle changes initial response(slowing it down).
For everyone else, this works for modified DA45 plates, 30 and 45 degree KPs not others.

Last edited by fierocious1; September 7th, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #10
kufman

I did this at speed practice once, It was kind of interesting. I apologize that it is not a quad video. This was a warm up drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4GGZExYFQ
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #11
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I did this at speed practice once, It was kind of interesting. I apologize that it is not a quad video. This was a warm up drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X4GGZExYFQ
You video is plenty good. Not near as much lean over on the boots. Inlines are so efficient!
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #12
amohrfeld

Quote:
You video is plenty good. Not near as much lean over on the boots. Inlines are so efficient!
Ha. The inline kids I race are faster than me. Not sure if it is their wheels being in a row or because they are 24 years younger.

Actually I might match their speed if I skated every day like they do.

Last edited by amohrfeld; September 15th, 2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old September 18th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #13
fierocious1

Default POV part 2

https://youtu.be/_SoKfJr6KZ4

Right rear truck cushion action. Shows a bit less abuse of the cushions than the left front. I expected as much as the left front gets pushed pretty hard.
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #14
quantoo

Default and the beauty of this is

you can still see the cushion flakes from the cuts.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #15
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
you can still see the cushion flakes from the cuts.
Thats the Monza 98a wheel tread dust. I went from having tread to having no tread on 6 of 8 wheels in one session. Never lost that much tread ever on any wheels I have owned. Anabolix the tire wore fast but this is the fastest I have ever seen.
Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM   #16
amohrfeld

Quote:
Thats the Monza 98a wheel tread dust. I went from having tread to having no tread on 6 of 8 wheels in one session. Never lost that much tread ever on any wheels I have owned. Anabolix the tire wore fast but this is the fastest I have ever seen.
I thought you were rolling over cotton candy.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #17
quantoo

Default geeeez

Are they a good wheel to skate on ?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Are they a good wheel to skate on ?
They are fast. Great roll and smooth. They were still gripping well on the new floor, just release a little early for me. At least they are broken in...