S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Morrigan

Default Bionic cushions hardness

I have heard that the bionic cushions are softer than they should be and you should always get harder than you should otherwise
is that true ?

my weight is 57 kg, not beginner and not veteran
what should I choose?
Morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

What wheels are going to be used?
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Gorilla

The stock Red are a good place to start for most people. They are allegedly 90A, but, as you said, they seem to feel softer. But the numbers don't really matter.

Start with the trucks tightened to where the locknut is flush with the top of the kingpin and skate it for a little while:

If it is too loose still, where you feel woobly, tighten it just one or two chicks at a time until you feel stable. If you can see more than a full thread above the lock nut, you need harder cushions. The Yellow (95A) is for you.

If the flush nut/kingpin is too tight.. like you are having trouble turning.. then loosen a click at a time to where you can turn freely. If the tip of the kingpin is recessed into the locknut, then you need the Blue (88A) cushions.

No 2 skaters are the same, so stock advice on anything should be taken with a grain of salt. That said, MOST derby players are happy with stock red cushions. I am 210 lbs and skate the red cushions but I do put a lot of my "big guys" on the Yellows.
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote