S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 8th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Labeda Stilettos in white

Well after stepping up to orange Cannibals, I've been very happy. I have another pair of skates I'm about to get built, and was wondering if having redundant orange Cannibals on them would be boring. Or switching the wheels onto the skates to be used that night would be a pain. Or if the excitement of trying something else would be worth the cost. You get it....

So when someone on Randy's facebook group was selling new white Labeda Stilettos for $80 bucks, I pulled the trigger. Coming next week.

What I'm hoping for is a tad more roll. And still some good grip. I can get the Cannibals in an 8 wheel slide when doing speed skating, for a couple seconds, and controllable. But I'm losing speed when that happens. So I hope for the holy grail of more grip, but harder roll. I also love the look of a white wheel. Yeah, the graphics are coming off right away. Do you like Stillettos?
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Do you like Stillettos?
Yes, but not the white ones. I prefer the Ruby, but that's just me.
Old May 9th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #3
AZSHOT

Our floor seems quite slick. Anything harder than about 95 is going to be iffy, depending on the quality of the wheel. The red ones would be too hard here, for me. I'd slide halfway to the wall on the turns.
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #4
AZSHOT

I got the wheels today, and have them mounted up to try the next few days. Will report.
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #5
AZSHOT

The wheel report is good. I put some qube 8ball 7mm bearings in them and onto my favorite speed skates. They rolled smoothly. The first half hour they felt a little mushy. It was like skating in cream cheese, they felt like they were slipping a small bit, yet there was no sound or vibration feedback. I spend the first period scuffing them up, and dragging each foot slightly at an angle like when you slow down every couple minutes.

The labels go out onto the 45 degree edge of the rim, and those were quite slick during some long pushes. I have started scrubbing them off this morning.

After about an hour of constant skating, they were starting to break in and feel "harder", and I could get a rattle when dragged a foot. Hockey slides, something I'm not that good at, didn't seem to break loose much at all, and no noise. But they did seem to start rolling faster, and made a good taping sound if I set one axle down hard. At first, they were silent. By the end of the night, they felt about as fast as my orange Cannibals, but I'm not sure.

I did use them for speed skating, and they did fine. They gave a good push, and felt like they were rolling faster the more they broke in. My theory is the much loved grooves (something I don't remember my early speed wheels even having in the 70s) actually flex and make a mushy feel, until their points get worn off. I'm sure grooves help with traction somewhat, flexing and gripping and such. But a race car uses slicks because it's the compound that makes the traction, not the tread pattern (on dry surfaces). Either those points have to wear of skate wheels, or there is some substance on them from manufacturing that has to scuff off. They seem like great wheels, and i'll keep using them a few weeks and see if they get even better.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #6
quantoo

Default i got the reds, no complaints after 6 yrs on 1 pr

Anyway a young bloke on sat night was rolling a two session old set a white stillettos.They go well and gripped the slick floor better than the reds and clearly stillettos are a better wheel than a new gen can.
seemed like they hung on and rolled like the guy next to him on the labeda classics in the speed skate.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #7
AZSHOT

I used them again yesterday afternoon. I had scrubbed the labels off the edges, so no slick spots anymore. I used them for some solo speed runs. They still feel like they are sliding, but make no noise, and I'm not sure they are. When I try a hard hockey stop that would slide the Cannibals, they won't do it. Yet....they still feel funny. Like they have grip, but feel mushy. Though the exact same dimensions as the others, 3 times I've snagged a wheel with the other foot, and I'm not sure why. I'm not saying they're better than Cannibals yet. The orange Cannibals are the best wheels I've ever used, on this floor.
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #8
quantoo

Default what plates do you skate ?

Quote:
I used them again yesterday afternoon. I had scrubbed the labels off the edges, so no slick spots anymore. I used them for some solo speed runs. They still feel like they are sliding, but make no noise, and I'm not sure they are. When I try a hard hockey stop that would slide the Cannibals, they won't do it. Yet....they still feel funny. Like they have grip, but feel mushy. Though the exact same dimensions as the others, 3 times I've snagged a wheel with the other foot, and I'm not sure why. I'm not saying they're better than Cannibals yet. The orange Cannibals are the best wheels I've ever used, on this floor.
Yep the kid that was rollin those whites last week was making a fair bit of noise.Must be your floor coating or not broken in yet.
IMHO the stilletto is one of the very best off the shelf wheels of all time.
Shamans are about 80% as good.
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #9
AZSHOT

3rd time on them, at the crowded, fast adult skate. I did speed skate, and did well, lots of grip. Perhaps I was used to the slide of the other wheels I've used, that's the modulator of my speed - I start to drift in the corners. These don't, which is good. Still can't tell if I get the same long roll as the Orange Cannibals, but it's close.
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #10
AZSHOT

The just felt a little too slow, and kind of wiggly (the tall peaks of the grooves?). For about 3 months I loaned them to my daughter, a much less aggressive skater than I. She liked them. But over the months (I skate every week) the orange Cannibals have started sliding more and more. Finally 2 weeks ago in speed they would slide for 4-5 seconds, me sliding across the floor in the turns, heading towards the wall. I decided it was time to put the Labeda Stilettos back on.

Put them back on, now they're NICE! They must have been broken in from my daughter, or the floor status is just right for them now. Almost as fast as the Cannibals, and tons of grip. I could barely slide, and speed skating was a lot of work. But I was VERY fast. Ya never know, you have to match the wheel to the floor and your ability, that month....

Last edited by AZSHOT; September 16th, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:23 AM   #11
quantoo

Default i agree with most of this through personal exp

Quote:
The just felt a little too slow, and kind of wiggly (the tall peaks of the grooves?) For about 3 months I loaned them to my daughter, a much less aggressive skater than I. She liked them. But over the months (I skate every week) the orange Cannibals have started sliding more and more. Finally 2 weeks ago in speed they would slide for 4-5 seconds, me sliding across the floor in the turns, heading towards the wall. I decided it was time to put the Labeda Stilettos back on.

But back on them now, they're NICE! They must have been broken in from my daughter, or the floor status is just right for them now. Almost as fast as the Cannibals, and tons of grip. I could barely slide, and speed skating was a lot of work. But I was VERY fast. Ya never know, you have to match the wheel to the floor and your ability, that month....
This is why i really liked the labeda red stilletto it rolls like crazy with the best amount of slip for me at most rinks i skate. I notice with the white shaman i have to keep it up to a certain speed or else it feels like im on deflated tyres and they zap my energy a little, whereas i conserve energy on the red stillettos.