S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 29th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #41
gsloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Yeah, saw that. Sounds like he thought they were nice wheels. But the stuff he's skating is very very smooth. So, I'm still concerned they'll be too hard.

So, does this sound reasonable: [given your postulate that 3*125 will seem less hard than 4*110]

88a - dual pour - so feels like 87a perhaps 86a
125 three wheel, feels like 86a. [Perhaps even 85a?]

So, perhaps about the same as Bont Mints? [But not as dead...]
Yeah, I know - no one's going to know, really. I just wish there were some way to get real beta without having to shell out $100 for wheels that might seriously suck [at least for me, if not everyone else.]

I guess the bearings are worth at least $12.

-Greg
Old March 30th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #42
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsloop View Post
Yeah, saw that. Sounds like he thought they were nice wheels. But the stuff he's skating is very very smooth. So, I'm still concerned they'll be too hard.

So, does this sound reasonable: [given your postulate that 3*125 will seem less hard than 4*110]

88a - dual pour - so feels like 87a perhaps 86a
125 three wheel, feels like 86a. [Perhaps even 85a?]

So, perhaps about the same as Bont Mints? [But not as dead...]
Yeah, I know - no one's going to know, really. I just wish there were some way to get real beta without having to shell out $100 for wheels that might seriously suck [at least for me, if not everyone else.]

I guess the bearings are worth at least $12.

-Greg
I agree. I don't want to spend the money to try either, lol!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #43
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I agree. I don't want to spend the money to try either, lol!
Same. Not a big fan of what I call the "Chinese cut" on the pour side.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #44
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I don't mind so much that Curtis (TLTF/WRW) is testing. I just get tired of posts saying that wheels are "coming soon" and they never come to market.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #45
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I don't mind so much that Curtis (TLTF/WRW) is testing. I just get tired of posts saying that wheels are "coming soon" and they never come to market.
Or you only see their sponsored skaters on them and no one else can get them.
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:30 AM   #46
AZ Roadrunner

I get it, and have empathy but also not too long ago we were all whining that none of the wheel MFG's were stepping up to the 125 plate other than Matter. Now the flood gates have opened with no shortage of choices and prices for the 125's. TLTF has always brought their product later. Their product is usually worth the wait and their prices are usually better for a high end wheel. Yes, the photo teases get irritating but at least they did come out with a 125, at first they said they were not going to build a 125 wheel.

In a dying industry I'm glad we are still seeing lots of choices for wheels. Soon the only inline skaters left in America will be grey, bald and skating in circles forgetting where they were going...
Old March 31st, 2017, 01:14 PM   #47
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
In a dying industry I'm glad we are still seeing lots of choices for wheels. Soon the only inline skaters left in America will be grey, bald and skating in circles forgetting where they were going...
Dying? My local rink has seen a 50% rise in new session skaters walking through the door and coming back for more skating. We are also putting together a beginner speed club in the next few months. This is in a town that hasn't seen a speed club since 1994. Even our ****-ty rink on the beach side has seen a jump in session skaters.

I don't think speed skating is dying either. New skaters on teams are up slightly this in my region. Yes we had people quit, but that age group (16-20) usually quits during the high school years. On my full time team, our elementary and below outnumber the rest on the team 3-1.

Sorry for the tangent.

Back on track. I like Curt's wheels, but when I hear people complaining because vendors only have xx number of sets for a meet is irritating. The excuse is always. Well Curt is tinkering or he's pouring long board wheels(I get it that skateboard wheels are a money maker). Don't promise the moon, and give me Cornwall.
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:31 PM   #48
bjvircks
Major Trouble

for what it is worth... the weight of 125mm Mota hybrid is 192.5 g each (before I ground off about a gram from each wheel's pour side so they wouldn't drag on my TR-5 frames)
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #49
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
for what it is worth... the weight of 125mm Mota hybrid is 192.5 g each (before I ground off about a gram from each wheel's pour side so they wouldn't drag on my TR-5 frames)
Interesting. The Boom Road wheels don't look even on both sides either, the way Matter wheels do. I use all wheels on both sides and both sides are usually the same profile, except for the grooves on the inside of one of two of the sides.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:20 PM   #50
spdkls

Quote:
Interesting. The Boom Road wheels don't look even on both sides either, the way Matter wheels do. I use all wheels on both sides and both sides are usually the same profile, except for the grooves on the inside of one of two of the sides.
My team skated the new Atom 125's. They are painfully slow. It's mostly the hub flex.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:14 PM   #51
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
My team skated the new Atom 125's. They are painfully slow. It's mostly the hub flex.
I've tried them indoor and outdoor. Indoors, you feel every spoke, like a vibration. They're also not even close to the Matter outdoor wheels (either the One20Five, G13, or Code White) in terms of roll. They feel like you're pushing through mud.

Outdoors, you don't feel the spokes as much, mostly because you're not getting over as far on the edges as you do indoor. But again, they're on the slow side in terms of roll. The MPC and Roll'X spoked wheels are definitely faster.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:23 PM   #52
gsloop

So, would it be fair to summarize what we know so far as:

Outdoor
---
Matter: G13 excellent
Matter: One20Five quite good
Matter: One20Five *LTE* substantially worse than the, now standard, One20Five
MPC [Black magic?] Very Good-to-Excellent
MPC [Street fight] Kinda dog-ish, not great.
RollX
Atom Boom Road 125: Not great. Slow.
Mota 125 Hybrid: Mostly unknown, but reported to have a short life where they perform well. [And perhaps manufactured poorly.]

Indoor
---

Mota 125 Hybrid: Mostly unknown, but reported to have a short life where they perform well. [And perhaps manufactured poorly.]
???

---
I'm obviously not the guy to complete this thing, but perhaps if everyone fills in what they know, I'll put up a new post and try to keep it edited with the new information as it rolls in. I, at least, need somewhere to look where everything is in one place...
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:26 PM   #53
gsloop

@chuckboucher

Where did you get RollX stuff, anyway? [EU?]
Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:15 PM   #54
reely?

Quote:
So, would it be fair to summarize what we know so far as:

Outdoor
Matter One20Five f1
Matter Code White
Matter: G13 excellent
MPC Atom Boom Majic xf
MPC [Big Black magic xxf] Very Good-to-Excellen
MPC BONT xxf hardcore
Matter lte 125
MPC [Street fight] Kinda dog-ish, not great.
RollX

Outdoor Rain

*MPC Storm Surge

Indoor
Matter f2/green f1/yellow 2016 radius
Matter One20Five f1 2016 raduis
Matter Code White

???

---
I'm obviously not the guy to complete this thing, but perhaps if everyone fills in what they know, I'll put up a new post and try to keep it edited with the new information as it rolls in. I, at least, need somewhere to look where everything is in one place...

Thanks gsloop, nice list.

I'm not that guy to compile the list either, but thats how I see the list of *somwhat available 125s on the market.

It will be interesting to see Where TLTF lands on this list if/when.

Thannks, d

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:11 PM   #55
AZ Roadrunner

Thumbs up

Thanks for the list and feedback. Much appreciated as to test all of these wheel would be an expensive venture. I'm now on board with the TLTF thread of how ridiculous it's now become of photos showing wheels and it's now 7, yes 7 to 8 months later and nothing....

Thanks for the 125 list and feedback!!
Old May 4th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #56
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
@chuckboucher

Where did you get RollX stuff, anyway? [EU?]
Directly from the Roll'X site. However, one of my best friends is a Roll'X US distributor (www.skatelifellc.com)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
It will be interesting to see Where TLTF lands on this list if/when.
I tend to lean more toward "if". I find it amazing that they keep throwing out photos of product not available to the general public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner View Post
Thanks for the list and feedback. Much appreciated as to test all of these wheel would be an expensive venture. I'm now on board with the TLTF thread of how ridiculous it's now become of photos showing wheels and it's now 7, yes 7 to 8 months later and nothing.
It's been longer than 8 months. They had photos a couple of weeks before the 2016 Roanoke invitational.

I have skated most of the wheels on the list. Yes, it has been an expensive venture. The stand-outs are still the Matter wheels. I'm not a big fan of their indoor wheels though. I have a really hard time skating on them. This is both the old and new profiles.

Order of my preference:

Indoor:
Matter Code White
Matter G13
Matter One20Five
Lethal X F2 (green)
Bont Red Magic Hardcore (aluminum hubs)
Atom Boom Road (horrid roll and spoke vibration)

Outdoor:
Matter G13
Matter Code White
Matter One20Five
MPC Black Magic
Roll'X X-Road
Atom Boom Road

With the Matter wheels indoors, it depends on the length of the race that dictates what wheels I use. Short races are the One20Five. The band in the One20Five tends to get rubbery in longer indoor races. G13 wheels are awesome when new, but seems to break down quickly.

Outdoor, I haven't put in too many miles, so my list can be taken with a grain of salt.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #57
spdkls

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of their indoor wheels though. I have a really hard time skating on them. This is both the old and new profiles.
I like the indoor matters, but to run all yellows and use power, the floor must really be in good conditions. If the floor is slipping even a little bit, you need to use greens, but they are too slow to run 6.

I also think the yellows are still too slow.

I also believe that any floor smaller than 75ft wide is useless to get 125s up to their potential.

This is from me racing indoors for the last 2 years.
Old May 4th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #58
reely?

Quote:
I like the indoor matters, but to run all yellows and use power, the floor must really be in good conditions. If the floor is slipping even a little bit, you need to use greens, but they are too slow to run 6.

I also think the yellows are still too slow.

I also believe that any floor smaller than 75ft wide is useless to get 125s up to their potential.

This is from me racing indoors for the last 2 years.
Ok, call me slow... 5gn 1yw for me, i don't need no stinkin roll, grip n rip. I feel loss of control when i mix more than two y in. I like to know for sure i can step going full gas.

Lil floors and 125s are for skaters with good health insurance, won't go there.

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #59
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, my primary practice floor is a 175x70, so I'm used to skating a narrow floor on 125s. We also run a 90M track, so it gets you used to stepping the whole track. That way, when we go to a 100M track on a large floor, the faster speeds will be the same stepping pattern.
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #60
kufman

Quote:

Actually, I find it easier to turn tight on 125's than 110's since I can use a shorter frame. Lots easier to get around the rink on a 12.8 than a 13.2 (in my opinion).