S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 18th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #121
billaboy215

Default I'm bill and I'm making electric skates

hey guys, im bill. i like to make new things and push the envelope. i have been messing around with electric skateboards for a while and trying to use the drive systems to retrofit roller skates. im trying to take a in-wheel electric skateboard motor system such as the one here and making a system that is likewise remote controlled so i can power roller skates without effort. tell me what you guys think and i would appreciate any direction as to which forums might have other tinkerers. thanks
billaboy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #122
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by billaboy215 View Post
hey guys, im bill. i like to make new things and push the envelope. i have been messing around with electric skateboards for a while and trying to use the drive systems to retrofit roller skates. im trying to take a in-wheel electric skateboard motor system such as the one here and making a system that is likewise remote controlled so i can power roller skates without effort. tell me what you guys think and i would appreciate any direction as to which forums might have other tinkerers. thanks
This is a Speed Skating Forum. Not to be cruel but you may find a better response in another section. Once you understand what speed skating is and speed skaters you will then realize you're in the wrong section. Love the new ideas, they look fun but speed skating is for those who love physical pain to get the gain of speed and endurance. Skating on the edge of our physical abilities without motors. You take that away and put a motor on it and what's the point, any fat lazy cheeseburger can do it.
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:00 PM   #123
ThatRabbit

Default New guy

Hey there, my name's Josh, I'm 40 and I live in Corvallis, Oregon. My grand parents owned Lake Park Roller Rink from the early '70s until around '97 when my grandfather passed. The first 20 years of my life -- my earliest memories of childhood were at that rink. I was a competitive indoor speed skater in my earlier years, but I never went anywhere with it.

The rink was recently purchased by a local derby team and they've asked me to start coaching them. Not knowing anything about the sport, I've agreed to act as a trainer.. Helping them with their technique, conditioning, etc. in exchange for session time on the rink floor. I really just like going fast.

A lot has changed in 20 years and I'll have a lot of questions. Thanks!
ThatRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #124
airforceones25

Jeff from SoCal. After a 15+ year hiatus I'm back on skates!
airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 04:16 AM   #125
Isaiah Janisch

My name is Isaiah Janisch. I've been able to skate for as long as I can remember, but I wasn't a serious skater until 2012. I skated everyday on my driveway on plastic skates from Target. Then I got a pair of Rollerblade Fushion10ks in April of that year and over the summer I worked my way up to skating 30 miles. Even before I got my Fushion 10ks I wanted to join an inline speedskating team but I was unable to find a club, so I started ice speedskating with the Madison Speedskating Club in September 2012. I still practiced on inlines for hours a day during the summer and sometimes during the winter. A few years later I found the Team Wisconsin inline club. 2015 was my first full summer skating indoors and outdoors with a real inline team.

I haven't competed on inlines yet but I've competed at several national championships on ice (short track and long track). I hope to compete nationally on inlines someday.
Isaiah Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #126
VegasJen

Default Hi all. Jen from Vegas

So as my title and my username says, I'm Jen and I live in Vegas. New to this forum but I've been skating now for almost 40 years. Like just about everybody who remembers the 80s I started with four wheel skates and got pretty good at it. In high school, my main hang out was the roller rink. After school, I went into the service and got my first set of inlines. I've been skating on them for so long now I have a hard time with the old four wheels any more.
I really enjoy speed skating. It's one of the best exercises I've ever tried, plus it's just fun. I currently have two pair of speed skates, one is a Miller Sports I got about 10-12 years ago, but they're a little too big. The other is a pair of Luigino I bought used a couple months ago, and they're a little too small! Maybe the next pair will be just right.
The bad thing about living in Vegas is the summers. It's simply too hot to skate during the summer. I can't skate for about four months a year. But come about October, I'll be at it pretty regularly again.
In the meantime I'll hang out here from time to time. I really don't know if there is anyone else or any place here in town that is all about speed skating. We have a couple of roller parks and as tempting as it looks to go out and try a half pipe I have to remember things hurt a lot more at my age.
VegasJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:48 PM   #127
Sharkfin

Hello folks. Anthony from Texas here.

I've been skating for as long as I can remember, but never truly seriously--mostly just with friends around the block or on the rink.

I'm running a pair of Radical 100s, which should hopefully change soon as I move into a speed boot and start going to some of the local practices.

I'd like to do a marathon/start competing soon, but I have really bad asthma which is proving prohibitive even with an inhaler. :/ I could really use some suggestions, if anyone has any experience with the subject.

(Edit to include picture of new skates...)
[IMG]sites.google.com/site/nyt010410/pics/skatesflippedlarge.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Sharkfin; August 8th, 2016 at 07:59 PM.
Sharkfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #128
Stroopwafel

Hi. I'm Martijn from the Netherlands. Started ice and inline speed skating about five years ago because my wife kindly asked me to. How could I deny that ;-) I found and still find it hard to learn but really like it. After standard recreational skates I bought K2 Radical pro's and then a pair of Bont Jets. The Jets with the 3pf 6061 frame and 110mm Bont G3, Mayhem 85A and 87A wheels. I still like the Radical pro's and really love the Jets, to me they rock. Last year I bought second hand Powerslide Cell and Rollerblade Twister freestyle skates. I mostly use them (with Led wheels) for a local Friday Night Skate. I don't like competition but I do like speed and love to skate long distances. My goal for next season is to inline skate the Elfstedentocht (225km). Still a lot of training ahead ;-)

Last edited by Stroopwafel; June 16th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #129
terv_n

Hi Yall Im Bob from TX. I been skating off and on for about 16 years. My first serious set was Roller Blade speed machines. I recently bought the Bont semi-race and slowly adapting to them.

I did the Road Rash in Austin, TX in 2012. Still sporadically skated afterwards, but more so now since a knee injury and had to stop jogging. Skating, for me, is the best cardio work out, easy on the knee, and I love the rush.

Im stepping my frequency of skating and plan to keep up the pace at 58 years old. So, back in the forum to get involved in marathons.
terv_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #130
submeg

Hi all,

Name's Leigh, from Adelaide, South Australia.

Have been skating in a pair of SEBA FRX80s for the past couple of years and decided that I want to move into the speed skating arena; trying to work out which boots I should look for. Have narrowed it down SEBA's Marathon 100 or Powerslide Endurance.

I'm shifting from 80mm wheels, so don't want to jump too high too quickly.
submeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:42 AM   #131
Lithium_moon

Well, here I go...

I'm Becca, 28 and currently living in Atchison Ks. Started skating when I was 4 and got my first inline speed skates at 9. My mom worked at the rink near us in Aberdeen Wa. So I was there at every session and after hours. In 03 moved to Kansas and gave up skating due to lack of places near that had speed skating.

Well, my husband found my old skates in a box and asked questions. He has talked me into getting back in it. He wants to start too.

So here I am , looking to find more info on how things have changed since 2003.

Hopefully, find some other skaters around to skate with as well.

Last set up was. Verducci Corsa boots, maple clap frames, kryptonic wheel's with ceramics.

Thats my skate history.

Other about me, couple kids, few pets, I do fire, glow, and sideshow acts with my other half. Though, he has his regular full time job. Other then that I enjoy being outdoors, Travel, and creating things.
Lithium_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #132
BladeWolf

Default Hi there from SE Wisconsin

Hello, I am a 14 year old speedskater from SE wisconsin, I skate at the pettit national ice center in milwaukee, but in my off time I skate at waukesha skateland. I mainly do long track but I also do short track when I can. Ive only been skating for about a year now.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote