S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:39 PM   #41
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRollergirl View Post
The rest of the night was great fun, couples skating.
What do you do for couple's skating? Do you have any videos anywhere I could see of what you do?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM   #42
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Session #7 on quads today (yes, I'm counting).

Got my blue barrel/cone cushions in (cheers Geno for the unbelievably snappy service, 9 days to NZ from order placed!). They are definitely stiffer than what I had before (*very* soft rubber barrel + purple cone). But to be honest my crossovers were pretty much needing that. Definitely more stable, but I am missing the sharper turns I was getting with the previous softer setup. I still have another half a turn I can back off the blues yet, so they'll probably end roughly up the same in the end. Before or after still disappointingly unturny compared to slalom inlines , but they have other charms to make up for it.

I can recommend, if you have a few months of skating experience (any quads or even only inlines), and have a low to medium weight, starting with the blue cushions is a fine idea. They aren't unpredictable or squirrely at all.

Anyway, today's session, was an epic 4 hours. Started off watching the tail end of a hockey game (way cool!), then about 20-25 people in the session itself. A few hockey players, quite a few derby girls+guy, and a random smattering of folks on rental inlines, half kids, half adults. Nice to be skating with other quadders for a change. Music was just a generic and forgettable pop radio station today. Very little was inspiring to dance to

Still working on crossovers (much improved, but still cringeworthy I'm sure). Grapevine (almost got it), forward nelson (yes, but not sharply on quads), clockwise crossovers (!!! arrrggg !!!), started trying to figure out 3 turns (hanging onto the wall for those at this point!). Mostly still just skating around getting used to the different balance vs inlines. Finally not terrified of these skates anymore, just healthily scared Took my first fall on them today, which amazes me I made it this far without doing so given my size 3 plates with super soft cushions, and sometimes unhelpful inlining instincts.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #43
7Skaters

Default WHOOOHOOO!

Spring has sprung!

Apparently, most of the little kiddies were at the parks with mommy and daddy today.

First half of the session, it was slick out there...but there were more adults on wheels than kids, mixed with a few older teens. No little brats "chasing" the stupid lights...only one kid going thr wrong way...once, and that was only because when they turned down the lights, someone almost skated over her. The guy managed to hold her up, but got her completely turned around.

Halfway through, the floor got grippier, thanks to them opening the vents and turning on the fans, though we did get more birthday kids in, but all were very well-mannered.

Overall...a GREAT session today! In fact, this was one of the best I've been to in a LONG time out there. Seriously, my only complaint was the music. Requests were made (not just my kids)...no songs were played. I hate that DJ.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #44
Dennis Lauer

Default Hooray for Spring

Glad to hear that the spring weather kept some kids out of the rink, making for a much more enjoyable skating session. Also glad that the floor conditions also improved during the session. Not glad that I couldn't come skating for the session. It sounds like I missed a very good skating session.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #45
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
It sounds like I missed a very good skating session.
I'd love to say "Don't worry, it wasn't that great"...but...it was! LOL I hope it's like that when we go again. Though once again, the amount of cars, I think everyone drove themslves, including the kids! The parking lot was PACKED when we got there half an hour into the session...but no one was really on the floor yet.
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #46
SDRollergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
What do you do for couple's skating? Do you have any videos anywhere I could see of what you do?
Hey Tuesday girl,

I haven't been in here in about a week and was touched that you replied to my post. After looking at the videos you posted, I doubt that my couples skating could hold a candle to what you do. Lovely stuff. Basically we are doing sychronized forward rexing. It's very common here. It's all about staying on the beat and in step with your partner (and of course not kicking his skates!) It took me a few months to master it and now I can't imagine skating solo the entire night. it's a terribly dull night when none of my partners show up. I would love to be able to do some of that foward/backwards stuff you posted but my backwards skating is still kind of weak. All in good time.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #47
Tuesday Girl

Last night was a nightmare. I'll back up a little first. Last Tuesday the owner came to the DJ booth and got after some of the regulars for skating too fast and said if we are passing more people than are passing us and weaving in and out then we are skating too fast and she will have to tell us to leave and not skate there anymore. Apparently some guy (who even has his own skates but isn't that good) got brushed by one of our outer edge fast guy skaters and whined.

So, going into last night, my guy skate partner was paranoid about getting hollered at, even though no one has spoken to him personally about fast skating for about 1 1/2 yrs. He got himself into a funk and was sitting practically the entire night and when he would go out on the floor, just skated super slow.

I went over and talked to the owner for awhile. I can see her point, that they must as a business owner respond to complaints, blah blah blah. But apparently in years past they didn't come down on us so hard. She says they always did, but all of the skaters tell me otherwise (I'm 4 yrs. new to the rink, so I don't have history there). She suggested a fast skate song. I didn't disagree or agree.

Later, the DJ announced a fast skate song, which has never been done since I've been there, but they used to do it years ago. I could see the regulars really liked that, but my funked out skate friend stubbornly wouldn't go out on the floor and "be labeled as a fast skater". Insanity. To say the least, I was pretty annoyed with him all night. He even kept putting on the brakes during our couple skates. HUH? I barely had enough momentum to do our stuff and told him so. We don't get up great speeds couple skating anyway, but we do pass lots of people.

Anyway, with my skate friend in his downward spiral and us not skating as much as we usually do, I realized how much I count on couple skating as a big part of my skate night. I like to do my thing too, but when the slower songs came on, I realized how lost I was without a partner!

I was pretty hard on him, but I told him if he continued like that I would look for another partner! Yeah, yeah, I know that was harsh. We've been skating solidly for about 2 1/2 yrs. now and I wouldn't even want to consider having to start all over with someone else, getting used to them, etc.

I'm sure it will be better Friday night when I go, but the rink is really putting a damper on adult fun. Why don't those whiners either skate or go home? One of the regulars suggested that part of the problem is that the DJ doesn't announce anymore that the slower skaters should stay to the inside. So they get in the way by the wall where they think it is safe, when actually they are right in the path of the fast skaters. Then the skaters are forced to weave through the feeble skaters and they get upset at the fast wind hitting them and go tattle.

Long posts are hard to read, so I will shut up now. Hopefully my guy partner will straighten up and get over it and we will be back to having a blast.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #48
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRollergirl View Post
and now I can't imagine skating solo the entire night. it's a terribly dull night when none of my partners show up.
Thanks for the compliments! If you read my long winded post above, you will know that I feel the same way at the thought of not having a partner! In fact, one of the main reasons I ended up with this guy is that I realized he is at every skate session and I would always have a partner! I used to skate with others, but now it's pretty much just with my current skate friend. Yes, terribly dull without them! Do you do any of the stationary dancing in the middle of the floor? That's fun too, and eats up skate time so you're not so bored!
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #49
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
Thanks for the compliments! If you read my long winded post above, you will know that I feel the same way at the thought of not having a partner! In fact, one of the main reasons I ended up with this guy is that I realized he is at every skate session and I would always have a partner! I used to skate with others, but now it's pretty much just with my current skate friend. Yes, terribly dull without them! Do you do any of the stationary dancing in the middle of the floor? That's fun too, and eats up skate time so you're not so bored!
I do Jam Skating and some Richard Humphrey moves I love it.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #50
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
I do some Richard Humphrey moves I love it.
I love looking at Richard Humphrey moves and learning them too! Also the web-site "learntojamskate.net" started me with the basics. I would study them until I got it in my head and then go practice. I don't get down on the floor though....getting a little too old for that!

On Tuesday night one of the guys who had not been skating nearly all winter showed up and after I was dancing in the middle for awhile, said to me, "Those feet have gotten a lot faster since the last time I was here!" That was nice news to hear. So, I've made a lot of improvements according to someone who hasn't been there. I wouldn't have thought anything has changed, but apparently it has! Wheee!!!!
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #51
Tuesday Girl

Had a blast last night. After Tuesday's nightmare session with my skate partner being funked out over the management speed reprimanding and my being disgusted with his attitude, he had a 180 turn around and skated like I know he can skate! So much fun when your heart is into it, in sync and clicking! Poor guy probably didn't want to suffer any more "wrath of a woman".
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #52
KMA

I had a blast Monday night at session. I skated some dance some speed and some fun.

Tuesday was speed practice I skated a 15.4 second lap. My fasted by far last time was 16.1 on Sunday.

Last edited by KMA; May 6th, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #53
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Tonight was slow till late, then Derby

Wacky almost free Wednesday started So SO SLOW,

To begin with only three of us. Geez with rain and all today I thought I would come to a reasonable session. It did pick up yet ever so slowly. M the DJ was also playing really slow music.

Eventually it picked up, and then really picked up as the Derby people slowly arrived for practice. The floor was a little slick probably due to humidity yet improved. The rink is also doing another color coding face lift to their special party room. I mean these owners are always adding or changing something.

Lots of little nice things and meetings, yet I guess the best was one of our really good Derby Guys was working to recruit a guy he knew. Another was a perfectionist gal who just has to be the best at everything (in her mind) yet can't really remember how to skate (which is a bummer for her)

Anyway a little cold for shorts yet good on the skate floor

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #54
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
I do Jam Skating and some Richard Humphrey moves I love it.
I don't know what my deal is with JB skating. I don't like it. It is like it is not skating. I usually skate backwards at an average to fairly fast speed. But my knee and ankle have been bothering me SO much lately, I need to ease up on my hard cornering, traveling 360, kind of skating, but I just can't seem to warm up to JB skating. I mean, I want to, but just cannot get into it. I mean, I skate to the music as it is, but just don't seem to want to do it staying in one place. I would like to do some couples stuff, but the last time I thought I had a partner, we talked about dance skating, SHE meant JB skating. Kinda killing the buzz I SHOULD be getting now that I have my Invader DA45's on a Bont. *Sigh*. For some reason my blue cushions on the Invader/Bont seem more responsive than on my Magnum/Rebel. Probably because my heel is being held so well, and the whole rest of my foot too. Owing to my ankle issues, I am going back to all yellows on my Invader/Bont. I would put a purple barrel and yellow cone in, but I loaned my only purples to a lady. I need to get those back and let her have a set of yellow cushions. I need more stability, at least until my ankle gets better, not the turn and burn of all blue. Guess I will revive my DA45 Cushion Saga as I look to tune for more stability and "enough" turning ability.
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #55
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I don't know what my deal is with JB skating. I don't like it. It is like it is not skating. I usually skate backwards at an average to fairly fast speed. But my knee and ankle have been bothering me SO much lately, I need to ease up on my hard cornering, traveling 360, kind of skating, but I just can't seem to warm up to JB skating. I mean, I want to, but just cannot get into it. I mean, I skate to the music as it is, but just don't seem to want to do it staying in one place.
I'd still rather do JB style than jam. Sorry to those who do jam skating, but to me, if you can do the moves without skates, what's the point of doing them on skates? JB your feet out of skates just don't move the same way, so I think it's more...I don't even know how to phrase it...but it's better than jam.

I'll take a fun shuffle over either any day.
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #56
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Jam for my knees and ankle would not be a good match. But JB SHOULD be something I could get into. Maybe I just need a cute teacher.
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #57
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thursday 06May2011 Skateland Adult Skate

Hi KMA, Tuesday,

It wasn't that crowded tonight and we mostly had good/long time experienced skaters. Shoot sometimes only 3 to 5 weak skaters can make things difficult.

The music in spots was not that good for me and a few, yet the Owner DJ always mixes things up and some others may have liked it. Too Loud for such a small crowd and just a tad down would have been better.

Ben and also Adam did very nice Coffin moves (shoot the turkey in the extreme) and I sure wish they would post a YouTube so we could use it as a Reference. I kind of wonder what happened to some of our other young people that came a lot about two years ago. Probably other stuff in their lives. One I see every so often named MikeL did show up and I always love to see him.

One new gal was trying to learn spins and our Toe Spin Master showed her how and then I got our other standard spin-spin forever Master to also try to show her. She even used the Tree Hug spin technique I told her about and did quite well. Still she is spreading her legs too far from the center.

All the regulars of years clash hands or slap hands just to recognize each other as we skate. And our Siren Blade Man was on Time for his Siren Run

All in All a nice night, I even chased young Tim for awhile yet still my knee made me not keep up to this pretty good speed skater.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 6th, 2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: words
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #58
KMA

Just got back from a really long Thurs. night. 2 hour speed practice followed by a 2 hour session and an hour of dancing in the parking lot. All really fun, tho the person I really wanted to stay did not.

Speed went really well, I am starting to lean some on the corners, and I got a "nice" job with a relay tag.

the session went well too. I had a freestyle lesson and I learned my first three jump combo (bunny-hop, mohawk, 1/2 mapes. coach said I did really well.

Dancing was fun, we are talking about maybe going to a club soon.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #59
Tuesday Girl

My last Tuesday night session was good. The rink owner called for 3 fast skates. I told my skate partner he better get out there and burn up the track since she is trying to make everyone happy. He did skate hard, and said he's out of shape from skating like a girl for so long! He said they used to skate full speed all night a few years back and going fast was never an issue. Oh well, at least he did it.

There was only a handful of mental rentals out there and about 50 of us regulars so it wasn't too crowded but not too many people to show off to!

My skate partner and I are getting those two moves down from the video I posted. We are getting comfortable with incorporating them in our other stuff. I'm really excited about that. I will have to look for some more to learn now!

I also have been working on two moves that "jamskateaddiction" from YouTube posted on You tube. I've been practicing them at my work-out club and took one move to the rink and taught it to another guy. The other move is trickier, so I have to smooth that out a little. But when I get that one down, I'll find another one.

Check out that girl on YouTube. She breaks things down very nicely and is a good teacher. Can't wait for Tuesday now, as I didn't get to skate tonight (Friday).
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #60
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

No Sunday skate due to Mother's day. So monday at Moonlight. Both knees felt good! My ankle though, for some reason was hurting pretty bad. Can't imagine why. Should have been a good night skating, but, was pretty blah. The music was not good. They really need to get a few new, well not necessarily new, but different songs in the mix. A few good songs might have made the night better, but I get the sense that even that may not have mattered. I have had to take it easy skating for going on 3 months. Knee hurting, ankle hurting, other knee hurting, ankle hurting, etc, etc. Well, I take that back. I did have one pretty decent night. The mega rum and coke night. Nothing hurt that night, though it was a little harder to stay on my skates. That reminds me, need more rum. While I am liking the Bont Invaders, I am kind of wishing I had gone the other way. Seba inlines.

The inlines I used to have, K2 moto, had 90mm wheels and a wheelbase that went on for days. The Seba is only 243mm. And if I rocker the wheels, my wheelbase at any given time will be 81mm. 81mm!!! (with rockered wheels, you can only have 2 wheels down at a time) I knew about rockered wheels before, but the effective wheelbase just dawned on me recently. (duh) Now I bet I could have some fun with that. It would also make my damaged left ankle less of a factor for skating because of the support from the boot. The tiny effective wheelbase would hopefully play nice with my knees. Not too much torque twisting a small wheelbase, vs trying to twist long inlines, like the Moto I had. My style would be the same, backward curvey, with 180's and 360's, but done in a different style on a different skate. Hmmm. Gotta check out the finances.