S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #21
RobinF

About 6 months ago, when I saw my 50th birthday looming on the horizon, I decided (for purely shallow reasons I have to admit ) that I wanted to weight what I did at 25 by the time my birthday came around. As I got in better shape, I found I wanted something active which wasn't boring like running on a treadmill. I remembered how much I loved skating (I used to skate to school every day in high school) and wondered if I could still do it. I found a local rink offering classes and showed up. And I am so glad I did! The speed, the sense of flying, the way it makes you be conscious of your whole body, the feeling of progress as you master one new skill and move on to another--it all rocks! Skating never ever gets dull, the people I've met doing it are helpful and friendly, and I am digging learning new skills as I work with a coach on figure skating and dance moves.

Oh, and I made my goal and then some--I wore a size 8 dress to my birthday party and felt fabulous!
RobinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #22
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Itan, that is so cool. I am glad you are doing it. You make skating what it is. It is all up from here! Your use of words really put it in there!

RobinF...weighing what you weighed when you were 25. Not bad at all....you should be proud!
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #23
speedysktr
President of Everything

skating is the closest thing to flying that we mortals can achieve. I saw an x-ray film of a birds wings once and it didnt look like he was flapping up and down, it looked like he was pushing out and back, like a skate stroke. Why do birds fly? because they can't skate!

I skate because it is the perfect combination of balance and exertion that gives me the most precise feeling of being a living machine. I am part of nature yet I defy nature and her laws by repeatedly catching myself from falling over and over and over. I don't always win, gravity and circumstance conspire to pull me down the entire time I'm skating, but I win most of the time and I look good doing it. People tell me I look good on skates and that I make it look easy. I soak it up because they're right, but you know what? I've earned it, I've worked my ass off for years to get where I am and I love savoring my progress while looking onward to the next peak. I love being in the zone when there is no thinking, just doing, pure animal instinct being displayed with machine like precision. That's why I skate, few things come as close to making me feel as alive as skating.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #24
RobinF

Bravo, Spdysktr! Beautifully said!
RobinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #25
skaterdog

Speedy that was well put.

From what I know about you.... going through the back operations etc. you definitely have earned the compliments.

I feel the same way. Spending ages 27-32 basically as a handicapped person due to a back injury...I feel like I've earned everything I've worked for......and it is a blast.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #26
RayJai
RAYTHEGREAT!

This is gonna sound stupid, but here it is, lol

Well lets starts here, I used to Skate when i was younger, till a certain group of people didn't like me doing it on their streets... so i was forced to stop as a kid.
then watching this anime called AirGear, Got me wanting to skate again. lol
yes it sounds stupid an anime got me into it, but it did. lol
after watching it, i wanted to skate real bad again. i miss the feeling of gliding on the roads.
and so now im back. lol

maybe you guys should check out the anime too. lol
RayJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #27
hikkergurl

Because I can
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #28
sk8scott

I was going to come up with some long-winded thing with a deep metaphysical tone. If not that, I was going to explain its fitness benefits ad nauseum. Then I realized that this is what it comes down to for me:

I skate because it's fun.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #29
KeLLy

I started for well tought practical reasons.
Thx to this forum, i discovered slalom.

I remember that moment on ice skates where i first stoped tripping over the thingys on the front of a figure sakte, when i had my own skates and not those ugly rental things.
And it felt like flying. Cold breeze in my face.... (Gloria Estefan on the speakers). Freedom, liberation, ... And i felt good bout myself, lost some of my shyness on that ice rink to.

Inlines are different, but somethimes, when the surface is really good, and im' not tired yet, and i go all out ... it comes close to that feeling of flying.
And i just love it when i make a little progress on slalom. Or notice that my condition is improving.

I can relate to all the reasons allready mentioned, but what it comes down to is: I skate coz i can and it's fun. You could call it a celebration of life.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #30
chunchmeow
nyc quad addict

yea i agree with a lot of the reasons here. I like to describe my passion for quad skating like an itch I just can't scratch. It just keeps sitting there in my mind until I do it and then a couple of recouperation days go by and I start thinking about it again.
chunchmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #31
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

It is the closest thing to flying, but much cheaper.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #32
Nature1992
Begginer Skater

the feeling of speed.... and ultimately the feeling of your feet on wheels.. its like floating.. the speed. its just really killing me... and how fast we could actually go around a sharp turn.
Nature1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #33
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Why do I skate?

1. to feel again that joy of self propelled fabulousness from when I was a child and could be in the moment.

2. to work off the crap from a legal profession that keeps me locked to a chair 10-12 hours a day.

3. to be able to ply flat track derby--the best sport I've ever played!
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #34
skillwilly
flying shoes

Walking is so funny and clumsy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4o86gYBfSQ

, went skating cause ice melted away and that's the truth and nothing but the truth.

Last edited by skillwilly; December 20th, 2006 at 08:53 PM. Reason: example
skillwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:58 AM   #35
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I had to laugh at myself today. Rented the new Superman Movie. He was flying and doing corners like only Superman could do. My only comment was, "thats like skating"! Sort of cool I thought at the time. I see that theme throughout the thread...sort of fits. Phil
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #36
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

http://www.jet-man.com/index_eng.html

Well talk about flying, here it is. All we need to add will be 4X110 or just rid of the wings and it might even be more interesting.

Phil
Old December 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #37
lee-mcdonald
the best member

as ive said before i believe the question is why not skate?
lee-mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM   #38
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

I skate because it somehow has the effect of relieving the pressure from a pressure cooker. I've found since taking it back up in August (after ten years off), that I get very tightly wound in general if I don't skate at least twice a week. We've had tight finances the past month and a half, so we weren't able to go to the rink (and I didn't have outdoor wheels...I do now, though!), and the more time that passed, the more tightly wound I became.

Skating is the ultimate freedom for me. And if I don't experience that release, the interior pressure builds.

Also, I feel like a million bucks skating. I've gotten not only my talent back that I had ten years ago, but even much more so, and it's awesome!! The thought that I have a natural talent at it has certainly been confirmed now, as an adult, experiencing the things I can do on skates!

But that freedom...I just don't get that feeling anywhere else (except maybe when I'm swimming ).

[FONT="Verdana"][B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]"All my possessions for a moment of time." --Queen Elizabeth I, last words[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
maherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #39
KPGtoTheMax

Dan Perceval comments:

"Skating is more than just movement. To me, skating is like an unfulfilled energy; an energy than totally consumes every part of me. Enough is never enough. If I'm not skating, I'm thinking about skating; and if I'm not thinking about it, I'm probably dreaming about it."
KPGtoTheMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM   #40
skillwilly
flying shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGtoTheMax View Post
Dan Perceval comments:

"Skating is more than just movement. To me, skating is like an unfulfilled energy; an energy than totally consumes every part of me. Enough is never enough. If I'm not skating, I'm thinking about skating; and if I'm not thinking about it, I'm probably dreaming about it."
hmmmm, sounds like; making love.:smile ,some skaters made this link before.
Maybe it's the; post sexual period