S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM   #1
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Wink Why Do You Skate?

I started this thread in the previous forum as I wanted to look into the reasons racers, fitness types, quad runners and others skate. I returned to skating about six years ago and fell in love with it again. I skate both inlines and quads just for the joy and fitness aspects. I have three sets of skates, 4X100's, 4X80's(the original inlines and my favorites) and the Riedell Torque series quads. I did the rink for awhile, still do, but discovered the outdoors and distance. Every time I skate it leaves me with a really mellow feeling after having been pumped. I find the people to be fun, unconventional yet very intelligent. I recently started looking at old, antique, skates and found them really cool. I aspire to speed skating but it is so easy to blow by me that I find I aspire more towards just "hanging in there". I was in Germany, prior to seeing this thread in 03, and never skated with the Europeans. That was a missed opportunity and would be an honor, as much as riding motorcycles there, and I plan to do it one of these days. My reasons for skating keep changing. I recently helped to start an "oldies night" at our local rink, "Roller King". Folks who were intimidated by the younger crowd are suddenly appearing and it has become an "in" night. The technical aspects of skating, bearings, wheels, frames and boots are exciting. Each new boot, wheel, bearing or frame changes the whole dynamic of the skate which in turn makes it more of a challenge. It never grows old as little changes make big differences. My only regret about skating is that I wish I had returned years ago but as they say, "There is no time like the present". It would be really awesome to hear why we skate. There has to be a psychology out there that connects us all!
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2
speedysktr
President of Everything

the voices tell me to
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Ice Ramps

I'll try to give you the short version of this, besides the psychology of pysical activity it is just plain fun. I grew up in the rink (both ice and roller) as my Mom was a coach. Sure, I had fun like all kids but it was later in life when I was deployed for a year during Desert Shield/Storm that I came to know how much I missed it, I actually improved more when I returned than I did in years of training. Anyway this is not always the case with breaks in skating, as we get back into it injuries can happen (esp as we get older). A couple of years ago I made a return to speed skating after a break from that paticular dislipline but tore my left calf during sprint training early in the return process. I have recovered but I have to stretch more often to prevent re-injury.

Dale
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Pepper Montana

1. One reason is that it feels so good when I stop.
  2. Skating teaches you about life. Speedskating mirrors the pace of my life. Sometimes you go all out and sometimes you get to ride the paceline.
  3. It allows me to be just a little different from everyone else. Skaters are few and far between.
  4. Speedskating teaches important life lessons like always check your equipment, always be alert for changing conditions, sometimes you are rewarded for paying your dues and working out, not everyone is meant to be a skater (you have to find what works for you)
  5. Skating teaches you to listen to your coaches. Like when us eager, but raw, freshmen at Great Lakes State U. found ourselves in the championship against Hawthorne College. We discovered that in spite of our not so great equipment and facilities, we could overcome our opponents if we showed we had a good attitude. We also found that the girl we were supposed to be with was right in front of us the whole time! And, she is really foxy when she takes off her glasses and baggy grey sweatshirt. Who knew? Our coach didn't just teach us the double push (Yes, we finally got it just before the championship...) Our coach, gruff and crusty with rough edges, haunted by a few demons of his own, taught us how to be good people in life. We didn't have the advantages of Hawthorne College, but we had something better. That's right, we had heart. A big bucketful of good attitude and fightin' spirit. Sure, it wasn't easy. But our Coach with a heart of gold showed us how to be winners. Thanks, coach!
  6. Skating is a fantastic way to work out and feel super. It makes your legs taut and springy with tons of vibrant energy pulsing out and down. Your heart and lungs become a smooth powerful machine pumping out gallons of energy and life.
  7. Skating is fun and allows you to meet many great and interesting people.
  8. One time, at St. Paul, I rode an elevator with an angel! Skating is the best!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:47 PM   #5
online inline

Theres too many reasons to count, and ultimately, there's no reason.
"Why do I skate?"
It's a question i never have to ask myself when i strap on the skates. And I'd like to think that if i could post a video of myself here, anyone seeing it wouldn;t have to ask either.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #6
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

O/I, I gather the answer to your entry is "If I have to ask I would not Understand". I get that line from the Harley Davidson folks and with them I really do not care. We share a common sport but in different ways. I guess I was surprised at your cryptic answer which seemed a bit elitist. Possibly I misunderstood it. In any case have a great skate and an even better day. Phil
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:06 AM   #7
online inline

moto, sorry you read it that way, because it certainly wasn;t intended, but i can see how it could be misconstrued. (Sure let's talk about it, but I also think that skating done well speaks in it's own way to the same end).

I agree with all the reasons others have sighted. This question was asked a few months ago and there were countless reasons, all of which contribute to the enjoyment of this sport. They are all reasons to skate. They are the reasons i skate too.

But do they drive us to skate? Must i skate? Well, no, I don't think there is a reason why i skate. I just do it and keep doing it. I really don't think there is a 'reason', truth be told. There's a reason why I go to work, and there's a reason why i pay my taxes, but there really is no reason why i am compelled to skate day after day. I think it's bigger than that.

And so, when i skate, I don't have to start looking for what drives me to do this, as I know very resolutely as soon as i start doing it. It's self-evident to me, atleast. (But, as a counter-point, hwo many times a week do i have to ask myself why i put up with my job, for example).

And lastly, i would hope, that when i skate really well, when i really start hitting my stride, the physical expression of that activity would be so filled with grace, beauty, and vigor that anyone witnessing it would understand what would drive someone like me to the extremes necessary to perfect this extrordinary maneuver.

So, in the end, i consider it a victory that i cannot reduce this complex phenomenon, and the motivating force behind it, to words. It's beyond words. Let poets take words to make things of awe and wonder. I can't. Hopefully before i am through, i will take the tools of this sport and create my measure of awe and wonder, but it will be way beyond what can be described by words alone.

It's fun to talk about. But all i'm trying to say is let;s not forget that skating has a language all it's own and a purpose all it's own, and they go beyond any need to be justified.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #8
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I suspected it was more my misunderstanding than anything you had done but I had to ask. Your input has impact on a lot of the other skaters due to knowledge and dedication. Many who skate, and even aspire to your skating discipline, value your words. I really appreciate your taking a second look at this topic as I feel it gets down to the essence of who we are. . Thanx, Phil
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:29 PM   #9
online inline

no prob, Phil. Actually glad you asked. Since you mentioned it, i noticed that it looked like i was blowing off the question, but far from it.

A week ago today i got to see a renowned speed skater (not going to start name dropping, but suffice it to say that he is unquestionably amongst the very fastest indoor speed skaters in the world, if not the fastest), throw in an amazing sprint on a particularly windy, curvy section of trail we were racing on. It was amazing. It was worth the admission price of getting up at the break of dawn, standing on a starting line, of struggling for 15 miles to that point of hanging on and even doing my share in that lead pack, not to mention the severaly years of daily workouts and training to be able to be in position to do it, just to see him throw down that sequence of crossovers as he ramped it up and put it down. And I can tell you, anyone lucky enough to see that amazing spectical might say a lot of things, but the last one they would think to say is "why do you skate." That's my point. And coincidentally, as he started pulling away, even though i was racing against him with everything i had, i started cheering him on. It was that good. But we did catch him a few minutes later.

There are a few moments forever stuck in my memory which are the most defining moments of my skate experience, and that is one of them. There's all the other reasons like excercise, unwinding, getting outdoors, etc, and i like reading how they mean something to others too, but when i think of those moments, i know that only skating could put the whole thing together in that way. That's why i skate.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Hellion

Default Why I Skate?

Why I Skate? The short A;....Because thers no 12 step program

Hellion
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Jointlock

Talking reasons I skate

1-exercise 2-stress management (must have the IPod for that)
3- fresh air
4- the ability to move in ways I can't on foot
5- get people into the sport
6- help the new skaters
7- spend hours trying to make my body move through a set of mini cones so I can still be cool at 41
8- make new friends
9- social outlet
10- turn down a lot of dates with a lot of nice women in my age range (have the best girlfriend a guy could want....but it still makes the ego feel good)
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #12
skaterdog

I started skating as a way to do something with my 7 year old daughter. She loved to skate and I took her to the roller rink at the end of our street every Friday night. She got to be very good and fast and quickly moved up to speed skates while Dad stayed with his rec skates.

Some of my very best memories are of those Friday nights at the rink where I was often one of 2 or three people in a packed rink who was over 20 years old. I felt a bit out of place but I loved to watch my little red headed girl speeding around the rink.

Once in a while I'd get tangled up with some kids skating the wrong way or playing tag and I'd hit the floor. My daughter was way more coordinated and graceful than me and in all the years we skated there I never saw her fall.

One of the odd side effects of all of these skating sessions is that when I hear some old Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears song I'm transported back in time to the crowded roller rink, the smell of roll-on and the fog machine...the rush of energy from skating in a wild fast pack of skaters..kids passing or jumping on and off the rink while you test your reactions to avoid hitting them...and feeling tired relaxed and happy walking out into the cold night air with my arm draped over my daughter's shoulder.

These are snapshots that are burned into my brain as I moved on to speed skates...the speedskating team...the joys of outdoor skating on big wheels. I still think the best times were back then.

Or maybe it's because my daughter grew up and left for college last week? It seems like time goes so FAST.

That's why I skate!
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #13
speedysktr
President of Everything

thanks for sharing s-dog
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #14
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

S-Dog -- Word!

Time goes by too fast. I started skating when I too wanted to do something with my daughter. She was not yet 5 when we started, cracked a tooth on her first time out (yes she had pads and a helmet) and swore she'd never skate again. Next day she went out with me again and that was it, she was hooked.

So not quite the same fast forward for going on to college (not yet lord, please not yet) as we've only been skating for 17 months.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #15
Pepper Montana

Skaterdog made me misty. Seriously! That was really nicely put. It was like a kodak commercial! Well done!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #16
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Sk8terdog, What a great piece of writing. You really said a lot! It is a part of me now! Phil
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #17
spinjumpsk8

Cool

I see there are as many reasons to skate as there are people skating. For me
I skate because when I jump, for very brief moments I can defy the laws of gravity and escape my earthly bonds. And when I land a difficult jump that I've worked on for months, with a nice solid landing, then I have physical proof that I'm improving, getting better. I can face getting older if I know that I'm also getting better, a little each day. Also to hear people groan when I fall on a big jump then get up as though it didn't faze me at all.
I skate to spend more time with my wife. I skate because spending a Saturday night in a bar doesn't appeal to me. I skate because I felt a need to spend massive amounts of money and time on something that brings me joy. (someone once suggested I spend my money on trivial things like food, clothes, and housing). I skate because I can.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #18
itan69

Mhmm...quite difficult give an answer to this simply question (even for a language problem ): why do I skate?
I think 'cause it makes me feel good, free, light.
You need to do just a little movement to move without suffer like running or things like this.

I got Salomon Deflector2 skates and I use them to go almost everywhere, trying to make jumps, stairs and all things i like to do in the moment i'm doing

I'm near 37 yo, but when i skate I return to the right age I feel inside of me..22

and, of course, because i meet a lot of great people of every age and there's immediately a sort of friendship absolutelly natural.

I love Skating

...Hope you'll understand what 've said
itan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #19
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We understand you perfectly Itan69. Welcome to our forum!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #20
Gr8Sk8er

Default Inspiration

I usually skate at a local basketball court listening to my favorite tunes on the iPod. I definitely like the exercise I get out of it. I also like the recognition I get, like when people tell me I'm awesome. I've always been into music, but the dancing on skates is brand new and I seem to be discovering new moves continually. There are many people who see me who never thought what I do was possible. I feel like I am not only challenging myself, but challenging others as well, even to see me. Sure there are some who call me a freak or have not overcome feeling threatened by what I do, that can be a challenge, too.

If you ever want to prevent me from doing something, DO NOT CALL ME CRAZY. That will only encourage me.
Gr8Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote