S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
kentek

Default Am I a woose?

Camarillo CA temp is quickly moving towards 90F. No breeze and high humidity.
I am not skating today!
As a senior over 75 I know my limits.
At least 25% of ones' HR is for temperature control.
Nothing to gain my over stressing this man's body.

If you are in a high heat zone...be wary.
film@11
kaw
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:03 PM   #2
bjvircks
Major Trouble

In my book you are a pretty smart cookie! I have trouble with heat also. There was a thread here dealing with keeping cool, discussing things like wearing an evaporative layer and keeping it doused with water. Some things work in high humidity and some won't.

Good luck in keeping yourself safe and healthy!
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:25 PM   #3
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
I am not skating today!

film@11
kaw

I'm with you, only 90F would feel nice. Today was much cooler for us at 6 AM it was in the mid 80's and it felt humid for us. Usually we are skating in 90F + even at 6AM. When it gets over 100F I seldom go out but it's tough to get in skate training without skating so at times I will skate 100F +. My skate group skate no matter the temp even 110F +. Not for me, I see nothing gained when it's that hot. In AZ our monsoon season is July through August so it is humid...If you are accustomed to the heat you're mentally prepared for it but it's much tougher if you don't regularly train in it.
Old September 4th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #4
spdkls

Here in ole Florida, we're constantly skating/working out in 106 real feel during the hot months. My body doesn't even know how to react when the humidity goes down.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I believe the term you were looking for is wuss.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:37 AM   #6
ese002

It all depends on what you used to and what you body can handle. I'm good through the mid-80's. I can handle somewhat higher temperatures but I don't like them. When I can into upper 90's I'm watching for signs of heat exhaustion. On the other end, I dislike skating below 60F. I can do it, but my muscles never warm up properly causing technique to suffer and giving me a poor workout.

On the other hand, I know people who are quite comfortable in low temperatures but who start to sputter in the 70's.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #7
kentek

Default And you are what age?

When I was in my 30s. 40s, even 50s I could handle a lot more heat.

Mid 70s...not so much.

So what age are you guys?
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #8
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Hi Kentek. I'm 61, 6'0" and now consistently struggling to stay below 200lbs. In my 20s-30s I weighed 135 - 150lbs and easily took high heat and humidity. Now I have a difficult time with heat, I feel due to all my excess bodymass.
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I'm 52 and sit between 185 and 190 pounds. I usually try to avoid working in heat that's higher than 90 degrees, especially when it's accompanied by high humidity.

This year was a little different, since I was really trying to work hard to be competitive in the ESS series. When I plan to go out in high heat, I really pour in the fluids. During exercise, the heat doesn't really bother me, except that I sweat like a banshee.

But, I am only 2/3 of your age. All I can say is, take it easy at first and get into a groove.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #10
kentek

Default Carbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Hi Kentek. I'm 61, 6'0" and now consistently struggling to stay below 200lbs. In my 20s-30s I weighed 135 - 150lbs and easily took high heat and humidity. Now I have a difficult time with heat, I feel due to all my excess bodymass.
Everything you like has carbs. Everything you buy has sugar. If you eat mostly at restaurants you are totally screwed!
Eat more FAT- Fatty fish, coconut oil, prime beef, add a roasted duck now and then.
And alcohol really messes up the equation.
At 76 I am still within 10# of HS weight @ 150#.
I quit all alcohol 4 years ago.
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #11
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
It all depends on what you used to and what you body can handle. I'm good through the mid-80's. I can handle somewhat higher temperatures but I don't like them. When I can into upper 90's I'm watching for signs of heat exhaustion. On the other end, I dislike skating below 60F. I can do it, but my muscles never warm up properly causing technique to suffer and giving me a poor workout.

On the other hand, I know people who are quite comfortable in low temperatures but who start to sputter in the 70's.
I'm 49: 6'2 155lbs. To date, I have not noticed any change in heat tolerance. I have always skewed toward high heat tolerance and low cold tolerance.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #12
Jim

I'm 72 and around 170# and I vividly remember how much I used to suffer while working in high temps when I was in my late teens and early 20's. Over a lifetime of working outdoors I gradually built up a tolerance to it. One activity that I do a lot of is shingle roofing (great way to get in your dryland training and make money at the same time) which is extra hot because you get the radiation from the shingles and sun at the same time.

One example of how hot it can get on roofs is one day when I came down off the roof to talk with my customer who was sitting in his lawn chair under a shade tree. The thermometer he had nailed to the tree said 90-something and I was getting goose bumps from that "coolness" while talking with him.

I have heard that it takes only three days to acclimate to hot or cold temps which I believe is true to some extent, but I also believe that it takes a lot of years of working or exercising in it to really be able to handle it.

These days I never try to plan my training around temps in the summer. I skate when I can fit it in regardless of how hot it may be, although I take it a little easy when it gets around 100 or so.

I also never use air conditioning in my house or in my car because I'm afraid that if I got into the air conditioning habit, I would revert back into the wuss I was when I was in my early 20's.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #13
kufman

I am 39, 5'9", 148lbs and I never have been able to tolerate high temperatures.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #14
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
I am not skating today!

film@11
kaw
Could you have gone skating in Ventura that day? It never got hot during the 2 1/2 years I lived there. When I lived in Camarillo, it never got intolerably hot.
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:05 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

When it rains lemons, make lemonade

http://www.iceoplexsimivalley.com/

Didn't look at the schedule, bet you could get in some ice time

I road bike, prefer not to ride when the humidity gets above the low 60's, irregardless of temperature, when it does I road skate on rollerskates for flexibility, and the hotter the more flexible.
Aerobic or anaerobic according to humidity
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote