S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #1
Metaphor
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Question 3-turn progression on inline skates?

Hi all,

Any thoughts on a good progression for outside edge forward 3-turns on inline skates? I'm thinking something like this, but I'm definitely missing one step at least:

Backwards skating along a circle on inside edge
Forward crossovers along a circle with stretched underpush
Skate along circle on outside edge of inside foot with other foot trailing (supported on front wheel only)
Skate along circle on outside edge of inside foot with other foot in air
... (something?) ...
Three-turn happens

What am I missing?
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
Hi all,

Any thoughts on a good progression for outside edge forward 3-turns on inline skates? I'm thinking something like this, but I'm definitely missing one step at least:

Backwards skating along a circle on inside edge
Forward crossovers along a circle with stretched underpush
Skate along circle on outside edge of inside foot with other foot trailing (supported on front wheel only)
Skate along circle on outside edge of inside foot with other foot in air
... (something?) ...
Three-turn happens

What am I missing?
I'm not really an expert and I do quads but I can do these turn. So for what it's worth.

I really shouldn't respond due to lack of expertise, but there are so few responses on this forum anymore.

First thing don't go too slow. That just makes the exit harder. and you won't scoot around like you will if you have a little speed. Actually a little scoot is quite acceptable.

I satrt by just jumping the turn on one foot. That gets me used to the amount of rotation and the exit edge. But don't make it a habit like I have, I still lift my rear whhels horribly on this three turn unless I really concentrate on it.

Then, on any kind of skate, it's the hard pinky toe press that causes the flip. On my quad (possibly the same) I make my curve heavy on the heel then a hard press on the toe. You'll switch edges to make the exit. Or you'll scoot a wheel and possibly fall down. Wear your wrist guards. Usually the switch of edge is a pretty natural self defense though. It kinda just happens.

Now, the real art skaters can tear this post appart. And if I'm mistaken I hope they do (tear it appart) for both our sakes.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #3
markwphoto
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10
Default

(edited for more clarification)

3 turns on inlines are not much different from 3 turns on quads in my opinion. For example a left outer forward to inner back on both, the entry into the turn should have your weight slightly towards the heel on inline or left outer back wheel on the quad. You want to keep the pressure there on the skate as long as you possible can, keeping your hips and body as still as possible. During this pressing transition the skate will come to almost a complete stop and at that point you want to transfer your body weight diagonally from the outer heel to the inner back front, big toe. Don't think about rocking from heel to toe as most people will end of lifting the heel to go to the toe! Think about rocking the ankle from left to right and the turn will happen by itself with really no effort at all.

For pretty much all forward to back 3-turns, whether inner or outer, it should go diagonally from the weight of the heel to the weight of toe. Ex. Outer Heel will 3 turn to Inner toe, Inner heel will go to Outer toe.

For back to forward 3-turns its the opposite. The weight of the toe will transfer diagonally to the weight of the heel.

The video below isn't the greatest example because for spins I tend to spin between a small zone in between my toe stop and front wheel. In this example my heel does lift up and briefly hit the toe stop to initiate the spin. I do this because to me it's the only way to get faster spin rotation on inlines. Back when I skated Nationals 15+ years ago the judges at the time commented that they've never seen anyone spin that fast on inlines before.

While the example is a little different the principle is still the same for the 3-turn. When I get a chance I'll make a video specifically for 3-turns.

https://youtu.be/Xt4foFjlReo

Cheers
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Metaphor
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Default

Those are really good! And I'm impressed there are so many skaters out there working on artistic skating.

I will try using just pressure instead of a weight shift. If you basically stall (when you say the skate comes to a stop), does this mean you can do a 3-turn at slower speeds?
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #5
markwphoto
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
Those are really good! And I'm impressed there are so many skaters out there working on artistic skating.

I will try using just pressure instead of a weight shift. If you basically stall (when you say the skate comes to a stop), does this mean you can do a 3-turn at slower speeds?
Absolutely! When I'm doing 3-turn figures on quads my coach is always trying to get me to slow down to show more precision and control. lol. I can confidently do a 3-turn going blazing fast or at snails pace.

Now when I say stall that doesn't mean take 5 seconds to press the edge to the other side. As soon as you feel as if the skate just won't go any more rock the edge/ankle immediately to avoid an abrupt fall.

I will say that falling at a slower speed probably hurts more then if going faster so be careful.
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Metaphor
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Default

Thank you for your help. I tried again this afternoon for a while and can't seem to stay balanced rotationally as it stalls. Do you lead the movement in a 3-turn from the top down, or from the feet up? Or do all your segments start to turn at the same time?
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #7
markwphoto
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
Thank you for your help. I tried again this afternoon for a while and can't seem to stay balanced rotationally as it stalls. Do you lead the movement in a 3-turn from the top down, or from the feet up? Or do all your segments start to turn at the same time?
I made a quick video of the a outer forward to inner back 3-turn. In this example I do set my shoulder first, wait for the stall, and then use a quick snap of the hips at the same time with the feet to go from front to back. Again going into the turn the weight is on the heel and coming out of the turn it shifts to the toe. The video clip starts at full speed and is then slowed down. Hope this helps and keep me posted on how you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjsV4twzfJY
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwphoto View Post
I made a quick video of the a outer forward to inner back 3-turn. In this example I do set my shoulder first, wait for the stall, and then use a quick snap of the hips at the same time with the feet to go from front to back. Again going into the turn the weight is on the heel and coming out of the turn it shifts to the toe. The video clip starts at full speed and is then slowed down. Hope this helps and keep me posted on how you're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjsV4twzfJY
😀

Very nice. Your advice improvedc my turn a bit too😀
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 05:49 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years
 
Oicusk82huh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highland NY
Posts: 266
Default

Hi Metaphor, I'm not sure if you already covered this, but what type of inlines are you using? Artistic, or regular? If they are regular, do you have a rockered set up?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Derrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
😀

Very nice. Your advice improvedc my turn a bit too😀
But I still kinda suck at it. Oh well always room to learn.
__________________
- %___O
------ L
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.