S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old May 20th, 2017, 05:37 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Default Do quad wheels need spacers?

I ordered some outdoor wheels for my quads. Do all quad wheels need spacers? I ordered bearings too because I just want to be able to switch quickly (back and forth) from indoor to outdoor wheels, but just not sure about spacers. Thanks.

Oh yeah, they are Radar Energy wheels. Not sure if that's important.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #2
Rollmazicon

No. Just leave a tiny bit of wiggle room when tightening the wheel nuts.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Nah, you dont need them.

It takes a lot to make them do what they are supposed to do to boost performance. All of which only really matters if you are racing quads.

Though an exception would be that you need them if the wheel has a bearing seat/stop width that is very wide, where the wheel with both bearings in it takes up so much axle that the plastic nylock ring in our axle nuts wont engauge.

The spacer, if properly fitted to the match the gap between the bearings in the hub, will allow you to tighten the nut until it's all solid. This allows you to put actual torque on the threads and hold the nut in place without the need of the nylock ring.

Most of the time you wont have that problem though.
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #4
larryoracing

Smile I would recommend them.

In the old days all skate wheels had spacers.
All my skates have spacers. I have 5 pairs.
When I ordered my skates, they came with spacers...no wheels?
A tool kit and an extra set of cushions of different durometer also came with the skates when purchased.

I have a feeling you are abusive on your skates...ie.... you jump and spin on your skates and skate fast. All the more reason to have wheel spacers installed in your wheels.

The Radar Energy wheels seem to be of nominal width. 31mm. If you can find a set of old vintage wheels you can probably use those spacers. Someone recently said you can take apart a bearing and use the center part of the bearing as the spacer. That is very clever.

Good luck!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Thanks guys. I just took them apart and saw for myself, no spacers. This is completely unheard of with inline skates. New territory for me. NEW PASSION AND OBSESSION!!!! YEAH!
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Put them back in

Hi

Don't know what you are calling spacers. Yet between the two bearings there is a piece of metal that is like a bushing that slides around inside of the wheel that helps to keep everything stable if you do something weird.

I have skated without them, by accident, yet I would recommend keeping them inside the wheels.

I am studying now, how beer flows from various glasses and makes an exquisite taste for the drinker/conisuer of beers. No idea why one glass type works so darn well then another yet the Glass matters. I have done 5 or more glass types for the same beer.

By this weird example, My point is that the spacers work great for some reasons and DON"T mess with the design unless you skate flat and slow, or are A Great Engineer.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit 01: Hold me Now (80s) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9694K85Xc8
Girls just want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 21st, 2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Edit-01: Forgot to add skate music
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:54 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Thanks. Now I'm 100% sure my wheels don't require spacers. Neither the new outdoor wheels, or the wheels that came with the skates. They both seem to have the spacers built in. Happy me. Thanks again.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:05 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default No Brainer, Keep them in the wheel

Hi Again,

First off you should have a set of wheels with bearings mounted and ready to go on your skates. I mean you can always buy cheap bearings for your outdoor wheels if you skate on good days with no rain, no salt etc. Bones Reds.

Back to those little metal things between your wheels mounted with bearings.

I mean this is a NO TIME thing when changing bearings on your wheels. You take the old bearing out and you put in the new ones with spacers in the middle. The spacers just go back in and you play with them to make sure they fit on the axle.

2 - 10 seconds.

I don't see the problem, unless you are spending the time to continually disassemble to saving on bearing cost

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:11 AM   #9
fierocious1

Default Turn nut down til snug...

loosen 1/2 turn, done. No spacers needed. Years ago 7mm skate axles were normal. The nuts used d shaped washers against a cone nut. This setup was for loose bearing wheels. Later, precision bearings were found to fit the 7mm axles but were expensive at the time. To make them work, you needed a spacer to make the nut and washer lock down the bearings, there were no nylock nuts then. Now that nylon locknuts are the norm, spacers are not needed, but can be used to reinforce the strength of the 7mm axles. This works if you are going to take the skates to the limits of abuse(jumps and streets). Anyway so far in 7 years I have not bent any axles, I don't have spacers.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #10
PollyV

I come from thse longboard world, and all of those wheels had spacers. It makes sense to me to assure that you're actually using the bearing by clamping down on the inner sleeve, instead of letting it spin along, creating drag.
My first outdoor skate wheels were actually modified longboard wheels, which is another story, but my new Bliss outdoor wheels didn't have spacers, and the ones I had were too long. So I went without spacers, but I'm looking for a solution for this Because I skate pretty hard (mostly street) and with the locknut backed off the nuts eventually loosen, and I get rattle that drives me cray-cray.
Would love to know of some 78a skate wheels that come with spacers.
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #11
wyodinosaur

Default 8mm x 8mm spacers

I found some of the shorter spacers at Muirskate. Do a google search for Khiro 8mm x 8mm bearing spacers and it should come up. These are aluminium, not plastic.

You need to buy two sets of 4. They are fairly cheap at 5 dollars for a set of 4.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote