S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #1
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up
 
theDonnybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 2,005
Default Dryland and Off-Skate

I took a nasty fall at speed training for Chicagoland a couple weeks ago and separated my shoulder. Most of my normal training is out of bounds for a couple of more weeks, but my ortho released me for exercise that does not involve my effected shoulder. I am hoping to rehab enough to race the NorthShore, but it will be close because I won't likely get released to race until 3 months post injury.

That said, I am looking for suggestions on more skate specific dry-land and off-skate training. Any suggestions on plyos, bike workouts, slide board work outs, or bike interval programs?

I have a lot of fitness equipment options so let me knwo what it takes to perform something if equipment is needed ad we can see if ti will work with what i have. Thanks in advance!
__________________
2012 Bont Z, 3PF 7050, ILQ9 Pro, Matter G13 110mm F1
inlinepaceline.wordpress.com
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!
 
chuckboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Central, MA
Posts: 2,756
Unhappy

Facebook and YouTube are full of off-skate drills. Too many to list. One Facebook page that comes to mind is "Basic Skating". Joey Mantia also has a lot of training videos on his page.
__________________
Inline: Simmons Full Custom(2) | EO 4x110mm/EO 3x125mm | TLTF/MPC/Atom | Acer Ceramic/Bones Swiss
Outdoor Quad: Bont Carbon Hybrid | Snyder Advantage | Atom Road Hog | Bones Swiss
Indoor Quad: Reidell 911 | Roll-Line Mistral | Corey Super Enforcers | Bones Swiss
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #3
spdkls
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Facebook and YouTube are full of off-skate drills. Too many to list. One Facebook page that comes to mind is "Basic Skating". Joey Mantia also has a lot of training videos on his page.
What he said. Specifically, look up the Korean National team. They have hours of ridiculous drills. I've been to one of their training events(2009-ish) when I was stationed there. 300 skaters...2 hours for dryland, and 2 hours of suffering on skates.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #4
sxevegan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 492
Default

It depends what your limiter is (the thing (other than your injury, obviously) that is holding you back from whatever goal you have). Technique is always good to work on, and that's what the dryland skating is great for.

For most new skaters, technique will probably provide the most bang-for-the-buck. You're a more established skater, so you may benefit more from raising your aerobic threshold (or as cyclists would say, your functional threshold power or FTP). Basically this would equate to the maximum level of effort you'd be able to put into a 1hr workout. To raise this, the common workout would be 20 minute intervals. With a bad shoulder, i would recommend doing these on a stationary bike. Set the resistance and your intensity at a steady level that you think you can barely hold for 20 minutes. Then hold it for 20 minutes, rest a few minutes, and then do it for another 20 minutes. If you've ever gotten dropped in a race, it's a combo of your technique and aerobic threshold not being good enough. If you're able to run, you can do this while running instead.

If you're losing sprints, then it's your technique and explosive power/anaerobic fitness. Plyometrics and sprints should help this, as well as dryland skating.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #5
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxevegan View Post
It depends what your limiter is (the thing (other than your injury, obviously) that is holding you back from whatever goal you have). Technique is always good to work on, and that's what the dryland skating is great for.

For most new skaters, technique will probably provide the most bang-for-the-buck. You're a more established skater, so you may benefit more from raising your aerobic threshold (or as cyclists would say, your functional threshold power or FTP). Basically this would equate to the maximum level of effort you'd be able to put into a 1hr workout. To raise this, the common workout would be 20 minute intervals. With a bad shoulder, i would recommend doing these on a stationary bike. Set the resistance and your intensity at a steady level that you think you can barely hold for 20 minutes. Then hold it for 20 minutes, rest a few minutes, and then do it for another 20 minutes. If you've ever gotten dropped in a race, it's a combo of your technique and aerobic threshold not being good enough. If you're able to run, you can do this while running instead.

If you're losing sprints, then it's your technique and explosive power/anaerobic fitness. Plyometrics and sprints should help this, as well as dryland skating.
This would be a good use of you time Donnybrook.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:58 AM   #6
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up
 
theDonnybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Posts: 2,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
This would be a good use of you time Donnybrook.
Noted, I will build around this. Thanks.
__________________
2012 Bont Z, 3PF 7050, ILQ9 Pro, Matter G13 110mm F1
inlinepaceline.wordpress.com
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.