S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old June 25th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Savage

Default Wheels harder than 97?

Hi all,
I'm currently skating 97 Morphs with Avengers with one blue and one yellow cushion and I'm 145 lbs. I skate on sport court, wooden floors and a painted concrete rink. Earlier in the year I changed from 95 Evaders to 97 Morphs as the Evaders were too slippery. Now the weather changed or something and both sets of wheels are too sticky and I'm having trouble plowing. Do I need firmer wheels or maybe tighten or loosen my trucks? Maybe aluminum hubs? I'm looking at Roller bones turbo (97 or 101) or Faster with just the 97 duro. Thanks!
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:06 AM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Just get scotties wheels and be Done with it.
He can make them anyway you want.
Old June 28th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Savage

Just wondering what it is I want, do I really need harder wheels or is it something else.
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #4
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Those hardness wheels and your weight are about right.
Have you made any changes to your setup at all or stance.And are the 3 floors to sticky now.I dont know how you skate on sports court Yuk..
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Just wondering what it is I want, do I really need harder wheels or is it something else.
There are a lot of variables here.

My guess is the heat and humidity has caused the floor to become more grippy. Harder wheels may help. Tightening the action of the plate may help as well. Sometimes pushing on the edges will change things too. If I push on the inside edges, my skates tend to plow easier.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 02:54 PM   #6
No Dice

My wife was running into a similar issue; after taking her skates apart and replacing the cushions things seem to have improved. hard to pinpoint which part helped the most but we did tighten the trucks a bit more than usual but it is also a different cushion.

I would think about replacing cushions if they are old or look misshapen and playing around with tightening up the action

We both tend to run Presto 99 slims on wood they seem okay and i have heard rumors they are prototyping a presto 101.

I was looking into the bones art elite 103 but they are taller and wider than i am used to.

When i skated a pretty sticky sport court exclusively i ran 97 adonis wheels ) no jamming or speed laps) and liked that but they would get chunked and fall apart way too easily for the price they charge so had to switch off those after they replace a set for me and it did the same thing.

I used to skate Fasters and while i liked them for a bit I've kind of gone cold on the dual durrometer stuff and have been pretty happy with the Prestos and Halos.

Lots of rambling hope something in there helped.
No Dice is offline   Reply With Quote