S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 28th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #1
miresthi

Default Intro and need opinions on skates for me and kids

Wow, what a great forum this is! I have spent the last several days perusing the boards and I am impressed with the knowledge represented here.

I need help with what to do for skates for myself and my 3 daughters.
Youngest daughters (tweens) are complete beginners.
Oldest daughter (college age) is an intermediate beginner.
I am mid-forties, skated like a fiend when I was a kid, but have been away for 30 some years. We have been going to what few local rinks are left here for some All Skate sessions for the past few weeks, and the girls are loving it and wanting more. I am remembering how much I loved to skate as a kid and wondering why I didn't return to it sooner.

Because rink time is so limited where we live (basically only weekends) I think it would be best to get outdoors skates for all of us so we can get some more time on wheels. There are some nice walk/bike/skate paths in our area that we are excited about spending time on. We also have a large driveway, a fair amount of sidewalk around the house, and a large concrete basketball pad at our house. However, it would also be nice to be able to swap out wheels and use our skates indoors, too. I don't know if that is a practical idea or not.

I don't have an unlimited budget for four skaters, and the two youngest are still growing, so would probably need new sizes every year or so (at least that has been their trend with shoes thus far). The oldest (college girl) has expressed some interest in looking into Derby, but wants to improve her skills first. I just want to SKATE, in whatever capacity I can, as much as I can! It's silly, but I had forgotten how...just HAPPY it makes me. I can't explain it, but I'm thinking probably this is a place where most of you understand exactly what I'm talking about with that. Hubs and son (17 yr old) don't get it, but we are not giving up on getting them enthused about skating, too!

I had thought about the Riedell Diva outdoor skate for me (has Riedell 130 suede boot) and Moxi Lolly for oldest daughter. Not sure for the youngest two, but had thought about Riedell Dart Quad. From what I have read, nylon plates are not looked upon terribly favorably here...but I'm not sure I want to go spend a lot more to get metal plates yet. Maybe that is false thinking.

When I was a kid I had a used pair of Riedell artistics - I don't know what model, but probably the cheapest, we didn't have much money for that sort of thing, and they were absolutely my most prized possession of my youth. I wore them everywhere I could: in the house, on the driveway (changed out the wheels), in the rink, at friends' houses, in the car....you get the idea I wish I still had them...

Thanks for the add to the forum, and any opinions! I have already learned so much lurking and look forward to learning more.
miresthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #2
Tislord

Default Buy used

For you and the college age daughter your picks seem good to me its all about preference. Make sure you get the type of boot you like and are comfortable in, high top, low top, etc. You can always upgrade later. Also for the younger ones which will outgrow quicker find the style they like and then watch ebay, garage sales, etc and pick them up used. No sense in buying brand new skates every year. Plus when they outgrow them you can sell the old ones or hand them down.

Just my opinion and I am sure you will get others.

=)

Chad
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

For outdoor skating you absolutely can not beat a pair of inline skates. They are built for it, and can sail smoothly over any big sidewalk cracks.

I too grew up on quads (super cheap K-Mart quads) and skated outside every day of the week. It's always exciting when someone gets back into skating! Welcome back...best workout, best enjoyment, best way to spend time with your kids! It feels like pure freedom.

However, it's super cool that you want to do quads. I don't have any advice on quad skates, my quads that I use outside are Riedell Juice and I just put outdoor wheels on them when skating outside (that means a soft wheel about 85a durometer).

If however you ever think about inlines, then I'd advise you think about K2 recreational skates. They are super versatile and can go both indoor and out.
They are really comfortable and come with a soft wheel. Affordable too. Good luck.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #4
miresthi

Yes, I love quads. But I've been reading about all these outdoor long races, and they sound like something I would really enjoy - not to win, mind you, but just to go and complete the races would be a big accomplishment to me. So I might need to look into some inlines in the future, although I've never skated on inlines before and I'm not sure how difficult they would be at my age to master.

For the time being, I found my younger girls some inexpensive indoor/outdoor quads - their feet are still growing and I don't know how far they want to go with skating. My older daughter got a better pair, she has been watching Indy Jamma Jones youtubes and wants to try out the local skate park - I will need to put grind blocks on her skates if we give that a go, but that modification looks doable. I went with the Riedell Divas from Connie's Skate Place. Skates arriving tomorrow, and I can hardly think about anything else!
We will start off in the driveway, but hope to hit the bike trails soon. I know quads are more work outside than inlines, but I need to burn calories, so I'm ok with inefficiency for now. May need to ask lots of questions about changing out the "parts" on these skates for various uses indoors and out. I've tried to read up on wheels, plates, bearings, etc for rink skating vs Trail skating, but it gets pretty convoluted pretty quickly when I don't know what kind of roll we will prefer yet. So I guess I will just take it as it comes with the modifications. I am surprised to find myself becoming OBSESSED with all things skate-related, which I didn't see coming, but at least it appears I am in good company here!
miresthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Great choice BTW! Those Riedells look perfect. Do you have a local rink? That's where I learned all I need to know about fixing up skates. A local rink can become like an extended family.

Honestly, it is a crazy obsession! A good friend of mine didn't start skating until she was 49 years old, now she's completely obsessed. She had her 50th b-day at the rink with a DJ, and she's totally coordinating skate-a-thon type gatherings.

I'm so excited for you. And talk about work-out! It's deceptive because it doesn't feel like exercising when you're having fun.

Great to have you here, WELCOME!!!
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:37 AM   #6
Kaykay

OMG, I could have written your post!! Except for the outside skating. We live in BFE with miles of dirt roads all around. If I have to drive to skate, I'm going to a rink where the environment is controlled and weather is perfect! LOL

I too was a diehard skater as a kid. Now, I am 48, have 3 grown kids and working on my 2nd set of 3 kids to raise!!

I don't know what made me think of skating this time around, but I did. I took the kids last weekend and now I am in the process of buying skates, wheels etc.

I got Riedell Raven Plus for me for the rink, and got some outdoor wheels for using in our shop, or if the kids talk me into something else! LOL I have bad ankles, so I need the added stability of the tall artistic boot and the Raven Plus has an aluminum plate and jump bar, both of which were high on my priority list since I am a big girl. My daughter (8) wanted skates like mommy, so I found 2 pair of Riedell RW Waves on eBay. Probably getting a pair for one son (10) as well, and inlines for the other (also 10).

We skated all last weekend and are headed out again this weekend. Hope to still be skating for many more years!! The skate bug has definitely bitten at our house!!!
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

It's so exciting to see enthusiasm for skating, I can't tell you how much it means to share a passion, especially with your kids and family. Watching your kids grow up and blossom on skates is AMAZING. Support local rinks! Skate as much as possible.
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Derrick

Default If you need to drive to the rink........

Drive, itís worth it.