S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM   #361
Derrick

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie View Post
My dad always said, I came out of my mother's womb wearing a set of quads, Played roller hockey in various local leagues and places in the Metro NY/NJ area, from the age of 10 till the age of 52. I watched the transition of men playing in quads to inlines. Tried inlines, but my feet will be forever glued to quads. After a string of injuries, I decided it was time to hang them up. I figured, if Gordie Howe retired at the age of 51, it was time for me too. Sat around, gained weight, and was extremely bored. I just needed to lace them up, so I went to an open skate at a local rink, and I haven't stopped. It's like, there's this whole other world of skating that I never knew, with friendly people who love skating as much as I do. I'm learning as much as I can about artistic, shuffle, and even jam skating. Went to skate in Central Park for the first time last summer, and had the time of my life.

The best thing about skating, it's "low-impact," so I'm not killing my knees and ankles the way running does.

Roll-Bounce,
Eddie
I love the low imapct exersize and just the feel of skating.

I've wanted to do the Centeral Park skate as well. But I haven't been to New York, can't afford to right now.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM   #362
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

SteadyEddie hit the nail on the head with this video...

https://vimeo.com/12006719

Summer days like these keep my feet on the ground. CAN'T WAIT!!! CPDSA OFFICIAL SEASON STARTS IN APRIL!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #363
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Because it's fun, good exercise, my 2 youngest like to go with me. Thank goodness, but I would go by myself if they didn't.
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #364
quantoo

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcskater View Post
Because it's fun, good exercise, my 2 youngest like to go with me. Thank goodness, but I would go by myself if they didn't.
And i often do these days .as they have lost interest
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:25 PM   #365
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

I skate because it is the most enjoyable form of exercise for me. I could skate everyday!!!! My kids also skate, and these will be treasured memories forever. I have twin boys that are 12. They play sports all year, but during winter they play indoor soccer and it is only Friday nights. A fun league. Winter can be so boring in northern ky. Skating makes our winter so much better!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 30th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #366
FRGL1

Default This gets pretty detailed...

I play a geocaching mobile game called Ingress that requires you to visit notable real world locations in a persistent global game of capture the flag.

Up until August of last year, I'd played the game by driving around to specific locations and unfolding my bike from the trunk of my Honda. My bike broke and it was taking some time to repair, and I'd been thinking of a new way of getting around.

While looking for something in my converted garage, I happened across a Walmart pair of kid's Bauers. I say they were for kids, but I got them when I was 15 or 16 for a roller rink trip because I didn't know that you could rent them there and insisted that my dad buy them for me.

They obviously didn't fit, but the liners were worn in enough that I could somewhat comfortably cram my size 11 flat feet in there (my foot size hasn't changed much since I was 15).

I did some research on the computer before actually going outside. Then I toddled around the sidewalk at 11 PM, trying to get the hang of it. While taking a break because my ankles were sore, I looked up skating tutorials and discovered Bill Stoppards "From Beginner to Beast" 10 step tutorial and made it my bible.

After about two months of forcing those all-plastic boots to accommodate my oversized feet, they finally popped as I was leaving class to catch the bus home, and I bought my RB Twisters the very same week.

TLDR: In all of the time that I described above, a lot of videos that came up were Slalom. I thought they were cool and beautiful and awesome and something I never saw in the United States, so I set my heart on doing that.
FRGL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #367
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Why I Skate

I see all these long answers explaining one thing: IT'S FUN!!!! That's why I do it.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #368
Skate4fitness

Default Why do I skate?

The easy answer is I skate 4 fitness but it gets somewhat complicated after that. I grew up in Chicago and each winter the creek would freeze and we would clear the snow so we could ice skate. Later we played hockey but otherwise, be outside all day.

At some point, we got sidewalk skates...quads. And so off and on over the years I roller skated but never seriously. Even about twenty years ago, gal I dated and was engaged too, we would take her daughter to the rink to skate. We broke up and so the affair would with the roller rink ended.

Roll forward and talking with my 88 year-old mother last summer, I was asking what message she would like to leave with her great grandchildren. After pressing the question she stated "Well we didn't text and tweet and ride around in the car with a cell phone plastered to our ear. And we did not sit in front of a computer all day." I asked again..."so what did you do that you would want them to know?" She said "we roller skated."

She grew up during World War II as a teen on the west side of Chicago, blocks from Madison Gardens Rink. It became their hangout where they would meet and skate 3-4 times a week. Often they would take the streetcar to other rinks that were perhaps 8-10 minutes away. Many of her friends, they grew up together, had families and continued with lifelong friendships. She mentioned that a couple won state championships.

The story intrigued me and I began to research and ask more questions. Understand, I knew she had skated but never asked questions. As I researched and learned more, I was intrigued and consumed by the topic, finally concluding this makes for a great story. Teens that grew up during the war years, hanging out at the rink, maintaining the skate scene as the social scene so when the boys returned from the front, they would return to that which was familiar...their home rink. But the story does not end there as many in her gang competed, locally as dance skaters but others went on to win national speed skating championships. She and her gang became the original rink rats!

After researching all kinds of archival information, I find myself now with 85 pages of material of which I hope will become a book about roller skating during the war years. The title: Chicago Rink Rats & the 1940s: Growing up in the Roller Capital

To get the feel of it all, I returned to roller skating and am now addicted to it. The buzz I get is not unlike the high I once enjoyed for years of running but had to end with knee surgery. I would run half-marathons and all the related training to ready for a race. I can skate without the side effects of the impact that running contributed but, boy what a thrill...unless of course I fall. So I now skate4fitness to supplement my other recreational lifestyle. As I travel, I bring my skates, find the closest rink and get a workout in!

That's the long answer to why I skate...hope you found this uplifting and look forward to sharing stories and experiences here on the skate forum.
Skate4fitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #369
Dennis Lauer

Default Great Subject Matter

Please keep this forum updated on the status of the book you are working on. I'm sure that there are many people that would love to get a copy when it is published.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #370
Skate4fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
Please keep this forum updated on the status of the book you are working on. I'm sure that there are many people that would love to get a copy when it is published.
Thanks Dennis I will. I am hoping I can learn a few things from forum members that can add to the subject along the way.
Skate4fitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #371
Mewtat
Millennium Hand & Shrimp

I skate because it's fun, and to help escape my health issues. You may think whaaat? Well I have chronic intractable migraines, and severe fibromyalgia and now mehneers. I skate when I have a good day and I don't hurt. My doctors all tell me that skating can help keep the fibro at bay. I just have to wear ear plugs while at the rink. I almost always go home with a headache after a session, but it's worth it! I don't know anyone at the rink here so I go alone, and that's fine with me. I show up with my magenta leopard print rolly case. I get weird looks but pfft. They're either looking at the case, or my hair which is purple and green. I don't know why I quit 6 years ago, but I am back! I am just a beginner all over again, muscles complain, but hey, it's gotta go through all the pain and practice to get good again! My short term goal is to re learn cross overs, then my long term goal is to skate backwards again. (All the toe jamming and tricks will come MUCH later.)

~Jenn
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #372
Ben K

Skateboarded when I was young, never got too good but I loved it.

My skateboarding friends have long since drifted away and I can't stomach skateboarding alone for some reason.

Picked up inline skating during university as a solo pursuit, love it that way. I do skate with others at times but I prefer doing it alone as an outlet to clear my mind.
Ben K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #373
joshraj

I loved it as a kid, I would skate every single day. I love the rush it gives you when you're skating fast. Now as an adult I'm back into skating after about 20 years. I like the idea that this is a great cardio work out and can be done outdoors. I'd much rather skate than gym!
joshraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #374
Gee

It was a popular thing during the 60's and 70's. I found it fun and kept to it.
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #375
Taylor91

With so many disciplines it never gets boring and it challanges me to keep up my fitness level. I met many of my long time friends during skating, from all over the world.
Taylor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #376
Trixton

It's stupid fun, and I've made a few friends along the way. Good for fitness if you go at it hard enough.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #377
Vadim

Skating is speed and thrill.

It is also somehow similar to flying (not just sitting on a bike and spinning pedals) and improving your technique gives speed, and you feel MAGIC when you improve.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #378
Zaratuz

Default Back to life

After 25 year old, I figured I dont have to many hobbies etc...

Bought really cheap ice skates. Went once, twice. Maybe 2-4 times that year... Then it escalated, i bought roller blades or inline skates whatever u wanna call them. 4x100 Rollerblade ( they are well worn now)

This year I bougth alpine skis, best choice i ever did. Nothing can compare, not even diving, motorcycle etc. In a year of 36. Cant belive i missed out on this fun since early age... All I see is friends with no hobbies rather than job, kids, wife, work. Well I kinda did try ski young and failed. Thought it was to difficult but after years of skating on ice and blades, youtube tutorials. Well I have 60 hours alpine skiing alone this year and more to com on summer glacier in Norway. Jupp u can summer ski in Norway on carving skis. Belive it or not...

Ive ordered K2 Boa 90 skates, seemed i cant find any decent 100x4 i see there is 100x2 +90x2 in one skate... Usually blade with poles, just like in skiing...

Stavanger is a very great place for inline skating long trips. Ive alsow skated in Gdansk, Tenerife x2, Gran Canaria, Benidorm, Lanzarote ( the best place from Arrecife (air-port to city at vest coast and further, long trip)

It has become my strongest passion in life, blades & ski

I ask alot of friends if they did any similar sports, mostly did snowboard like 10-15 years ago.. I ask them why they stopped... Seems like they dont always have the answer... More partying, getting older, not want to go alone, etc... Im like, wow... How boring. People quit even when they got the skill... That was new to me... I did try rollerblading once as very young with a friend who was kinda very good at it, he had an extra sett I borrowed... Off course he went the family card and got chubby. There is no ressurection for him, ive tryed.

My music, is usually dubstep, drumnbase, synth techno,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3NoYyNKSXQ
Zaratuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #379
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default InLines and Poles UpHill, Skating to the Beat

Hi and Welcome,

I hope by reading your note you sometime use Ski Poles to skate uphills. Seen a few do that to keep up their speed. More intense then I would like yet you might like it.

Not sure I like your music, yet how about picking one of a few songs that have what I call a fast section where you have to keep tempo with it and go faster and then have a minute or so slower section. The slower alows you to relaxe and then restart the pumping.

Here is one we used to gang skate and pump up the speed. Turn off the video and listen to the music. There are better ones yet this is the first one I thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAhQmNBTkbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp1TbLFPp8

Again forget the bodies of the women, listen to the drive of the male. And the interlude. Skate to the tempo

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave