S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 21st, 2017, 07:07 AM   #1
EoinCuinn

Default Roll - Line Variant M plate question - adjustment nut

Quick query. Can I run this plate with the adjustment nut all the way out, ie running into the hex key locking screw?

Having great run experimenting with different cushion setups, but I can't get them right where I want them, and I think if I can put them out to the end of the adjustment, I am going to get what I want.
EoinCuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:58 PM   #2
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinCuinn View Post
Quick query. Can I run this plate with the adjustment nut all the way out, ie running into the hex key locking screw?

Having great run experimenting with different cushion setups, but I can't get them right where I want them, and I think if I can put them out to the end of the adjustment, I am going to get what I want.
Just be sure to also adjust the pivot pin so it is bottomed out in the cup.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:55 PM   #3
EoinCuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Just be sure to also adjust the pivot pin so it is bottomed out in the cup.
I do, every time. I had to order new adjustment nuts, wore out the locking mechanism!
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:26 PM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Ask DocSk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinCuinn View Post
I do, every time. I had to order new adjustment nuts, wore out the locking mechanism!
I guess I haven't made enough adjustments in order to wear out mine. The thing I don't like about the Roll-Line click action is the poorly inscribed numbers. Those are difficult to make out if one has poor vision.

Years ago I read a comment or two by DocSk8 in regards to one of his Roll-Line frames. He is a bigger guy, I think, and he was skating with clear green cushions, and in order to make the action more responsive he replaced the bearing cup with a washer. This was to make it loose as possible.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:14 AM   #5
EoinCuinn

I've read Doc's posts on the subject, he really likes them loose, doesn't he?

Mine aren't the click action, the Variant M is the lower range plate without it. I have new nuts ready to put on when I am happy, although if I end up running it all the way out to the locking screw, I won't need them!

I ended up going up to a clear cushion on the upper, and left the lower on a blue clear, and ran the nut all the way out. I went out for a couple of hours this morning, this seems to be working a lot nicer for me. I have a lot of turn still, well, more turn, but they seem a lot more stable doing figures. I was struggling holding backwards inside edges, after a bit of skating this morning I was able to hold them a lot better. The next experiment is clear blues in the upper, and grey's on the bottom, but I suspect that might be just a bit too soft for landing. Still, I'm having fun playing around.