S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM   #1
cloudofsound

Default rockered wheels

Hey guys... hows everyone?
I just got 243mm frames for my skates. At what point should i venture into rockered wheels? Im only just starting slalom... working on snake etc..very very beginner...should you wait to do this? Or get used to it sooner rather than later? or wait til im a better skater??? Im thinking its going to be a real spin out getting used to it.
cloudofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:12 AM   #2
kev0

asap. much more usable for slalom

if you find it a bit uncomfortable for street skating, or recreational skating, you can switch them out. but it will definitely make learning slalom easier
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:58 AM   #3
cloudofsound

ok..thanks..next pay day.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Hi, I skated through cones UN-rockered for about 15 years. Granted it was all easy tricks. I won't let my son rocker his wheels until I see his balance is where it needs to be. If you have good balance go for it. It feels just like ice skating. You may love it.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I am just starting out in slalom. I am an expert skater otherwise with 50 years experience - hockey (inline), speed (inline), dance (on quads), urban in heavy traffic (inline), but never aggressive, parks, pools, etc. I can skate backwards better than frontwards. I was a defense-man in hockey on fully rockered wheels.

OK, that said, I am finding it easier to leave my wheels un-rockered doing basic starter tricks in slalom. I have tried rockering them and for me it just feels to squirrely. I think it might come down to the ankle support of my slalom skates is MUCH more confining than my hockey skates. Also hockey is an entirely different set of motions very rarely requiring skating for any length of time on one skate.

I think my approach will be to keep progressing with basic tricks un-rockered until I find this limits my ability to progress further. Then I will go back to rockered wheels to learn the harder tricks if necessary.

As one experienced slalom skater above mentioned they skated un-rockered for many years before skating on rockered wheels. I'm going with that approach.
Old September 24th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #6
cloudofsound

Default thanks

Thanks guys.
i ordered some wheels.. i have two weeks off work..so figure its a good time to give it a go as i have some time. I guess if i dont like it Ill take them off til later. I did ice skate as a kid..so i am curious to try..if i fall on my face or break my neck... well... ill make sure someone has the camera handy to catch my graceful moment!
Guess i wont know til i try.
Thanks for all your info. Much appreciated.
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #7
kev0

if you have used the curve blades on your iceskates before then it will feel familiar! the rockered setup is meant to emulate the banana shape of the hockey iceskate frames
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #8
cloudofsound

So i tried it out very briefly....so far i like it and it does feel like ice skating. ( not that i was any good at ice skating!) but it does...so im interested to really try it out tomorrow.
Thanks for the info everyone
Old October 13th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #9
ipixu78

Smile Experiencing Skate Rocker

Thought I'd share my experience with rockering...
Have always skated with a banana rocker, as it was how my old ROCES and K2 flights were set up for me when I bought them decades ago. Rockering does not seem as popular now, even to the point where manufacturers are bringing it back and claiming it as a modern revolution, surprisingly with people believing them.

I love playing on flat rinks and consider my focus to be somewhere between slalom and artistic.

I have recently moved and don't have access to a free skate rink surface so have been skating Urban environments more. Thought this would be a good excuse to buy another pair of skates and my first brake. Never had the need for one on a flat surface, Ha. Yes my braking ability is pitiful.

I bought a pair of XSJADO skeletons with a Seba 84mm 255m flat frame for a bit of fun(heavy but awesome I must add). Boy do they feel different. So very stiff to the point I feel unbalanced when turning as I am used to the skates following me within a micro second. The flat setup is very directional and you need quite a bit of ankle strength to transition between edges. I also noted that l I started to get some pain in my lower back, probably from trying to get the skates turning quicker. My balance point thus needs work.

I think whichever direction you go, flat to rocker/ rocker to flat,it is a valuable learning experience, and will improve your balance ability only benefitting your skating ability.

My prime skate is Powerslides HC EVO2. It is an awesome skate and its rockered frame is such that with 4x80mm and 4x76mm it can be set up to either flat or rockered by changing wheel positions. I still prefer banana rocker, but have been finding many of the slide braking techniques easier to practice safely with the flat setup. I have never had a more comfortable skate straight out of the box, which is contrary to a few other forums I have read. We all have different feet I guess.

Also remember that if you intend on playing slalom, you may intend on doing heel and toe wheeling tricks. Due to the increased force on one wheel, wheel hardness and quality will play a big part to how your rocker feels. There is not a lot of technical info about how wheels perform with specific tricks and technique. Probably mostly because the durometer rating system seems rubbish at predicting the difference between different wheels (85A is not always 85A). The secret is to play with a lot of different setups. After a while you will find which brands/hardness work for you(make sure to write it down). Try lots of different wheels. This may take time.

Typically I like my toe and heel wheels to be a couple of grades harder than wheel 2/3 in a rockered slalom setup. If you think about this a lot it starts to make sense. But I do recommend you do what you have to do.

I can't afford new wheels most of the time so make trawling Ebay for bargains part of my hobby. Sometimes you can get newish wheels and bearings with a pair of boots chucked in for free!

Happy rolling. I hope my comments help, inspire or challenge your own learnings.

John.

PS. Am very keen to roll some snow-white artistic frames. Asymmetric wheel spacing on these rockered frames Is supposed to aide spins with weight on forefoot. Not sure about the toe stopper though...

PPS. Heel height is another overlooked specification that can be considered when comparing skates.
ipixu78 is offline   Reply With Quote