S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old October 1st, 2019, 08:51 AM   #1
LucasShmucas

Default Beginner Skates

Hey, I have been skating recreationally for about 4 years. However this year I attempted the Berlin marathon. I enjoyed the training and the event, but I had to abandon just after halfway as the frame on my left boot had moved so that it was sitting diagonally across my boot and pointing outwards. The effect of this was really bad pronation. It took me about 10km to realize what the problem was as I have fallen arches so I initially blamed it on poor technique. By the time I figured out that the frame had moved the damage had already been done, literally, and I had to retire.

The skates I was using were Seba GT boots with rollerblade 3x125 12.6" frames. I am 190cm tall and weigh 110kg. I would like to develop better technique and do the event next year. I've already been looking at Inline Planet and can see that there is a LOT that I can do to improve. However I think that my skate setup may ge holding me back.

I gave been thinking about getting a low cut boot to mount on my 3x125 frames but I worry that my ankles are not strong enough for this setup. I want to develop good technique first. Would I be better looking at 4x110, 4x100 or something else such as 110mm wheels on my existing frame?
LucasShmucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:30 PM   #2
BMW325TI

If you want to strength up your ankles and skills you should get other boots.
There are many speeds boots with ankles support...
BMW325TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 01:37 AM   #3
shafeeqs

It depends on what your goal is. I've seen people finish under 1h20m on high boots and 3x125. So with good fitness one can go at least that far before equipment is the main limiting factor.

If you want the best possible result in 2020, almost certainly it will be to keep your current setup, make sure your bolts are tight and have threadlocker applied, and spend your year on training & technique.

Low boots are somewhat of an investment - you have to build up your ankle strength and train your feet to cope with the pressure points, blisters, etc, none of which is fun and it may take more than a year before you get back to where you were with high boots. But the reward is that you have more potential to improve after that. Only you can know whether you want to pay that cost now, later, or never.

You can put 110 or 100mm wheels in your current frame if you want to try low boots, but if you may find the wheels feel "soft" because each wheel is carrying 33% more weight than it would in the 4-wheel frames they're typically used with. So if you're going to compete on smaller wheels, you may be better off with a 4-wheel frame.
shafeeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 08:42 AM   #4
LucasShmucas

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick to working on training & technique this year as I'm sure that's where I'll get the greatest benefit. However I will also keep an eye open for a 4 wheel frame or a complete speed boot with ankle support (my current boots have a 165mm mount which limits what I can get) as I think the lower wheels would help my technique. Cheers.
LucasShmucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 01:37 PM   #5
BMW325TI

Well with those hihg boots, your technique is very limited. And also very quick exhausted to skate withboots like a speed boot skate. I speaking this from experience. With my powerslide imperial boots, i can skate low and fast. But just in a short time. With speed boots I skate the same way, but less exhausted and speed is more constant..
BMW325TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:51 AM   #6
romekjagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasShmucas View Post
s I think the lower wheels would help my technique. Cheers.
I've got limited experience, but from my contacts with coaches the above statement is by all means correct. Smaller wheels = lower overall deck height = less stress/leverage on your ankle. If you can't control your ankles you can't work on your technique, you just focus on staying up (not necessarily straight up) on the skates.
Personally, I started mid-2016 on 4x100 and stayed on them till mid-2018 at which point I had been advised to switch to 110mm and just couldn't wait to start skating on my new low hybrid frame (110mm/100) that offered me an even lower overall deck height than my previous (basic and relatively high) 4x100mm. I did so and have enjoyed the hybrid set up. Now I am thinking of trying the 125mm, but it's an internal struggle between 'I want to' and 'I am probably not ready yet'. I mention this personal experience just to show you that as many other, gradual transition is the key. 3 x 125 are the pinnacle of speed skating wheels these days and at one of the speed skating camps the coach said that at first even most pros were not entirely ready for them. He may be on the conservative side of the spectrum, but he knows what he's talking about. Read his post on this to inspire your reflections.

http://www.sk8skoolonline.com/single...WHEN-to-change

happy skating.
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote