S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 24th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #1
zebra1922

Default Mohawks and 180 degrees

I am practising Mohawk turns but unlike our good friend Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwkbN844S0c

I am unable to get my skates in a 180 position whilst rolling (say right foot forward, left foot/toe facing backward, about 38seconds in). I can only get to around 150 degrees.

I can still do the mohawk turn, but can't skate along with feet facing different directions. Is this something you can work on (like yoga, get stretchier over time) or are there some people who just cannot skate like this due to their body shape?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 06:15 AM   #2
wyodinosaur

I'm inclined to believe that anybody can eventually do it. It might take some stretching, but over time, you should be able to do it.

Try standing still facing a low wall (like is around most rinks) with your feet against the wall facing opposite directions (180-degrees apart). Hold on to the wall and then do knee bends. That might help with the stretching. Being next to the wall will keep your feet aligned in the 180-degree position while you do knee bends.

Once the knee bends don't seem to stretch you so much, you can move away from the wall and go from there.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:04 AM   #3
rwsz

its a matter of getting in the right position, getting comfortable and many many repetitions
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:49 PM   #4
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
I'm inclined to believe that anybody can eventually do it. It might take some stretching, but over time, you should be able to do it.

Try standing still facing a low wall (like is around most rinks) with your feet against the wall facing opposite directions (180-degrees apart). Hold on to the wall and then do knee bends. That might help with the stretching. Being next to the wall will keep your feet aligned in the 180-degree position while you do knee bends.

Once the knee bends don't seem to stretch you so much, you can move away from the wall and go from there.

I think this might take a while......
Old July 15th, 2019, 01:52 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
It took me 8 months of work to get a full turn out. If you can't get to 180 without skates on it's unlikely you can while skating.

I did my stretching while watching TV in my recliner. Just keep trying to bring your feet to a straight line. Bending your knees helps. Depending on age, sex and lifetime activity it could take less time or longer. The key to any stretching is time, not intensity!

In all his discussion of "edges", Joe leaves out an item that makes this move easy and fast. The concept of caster as it relates to a wheel on an axle is the angular displacement of the steering axis from the vertical axis. Casters on the front of a shopping cart easily follow the desired direction due to this offset. You can take advantage of this by lifting the rear wheels of one skate off the floor and starting the turn. Caster will do the rest IF you have the flexibility!

I'm sure anyone in normal condition can do this if they put in the effort. It's a very worthwhile skating move!

Old July 15th, 2019, 03:25 PM   #6
zebra1922

Thanks for the guidance, might have to wait a while to put into practice though. Fell over trying a mapes turn last night and sprained an ankle and BOTH knees. arghhhhhhhhh

Last edited by zebra1922; July 18th, 2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old July 16th, 2019, 04:41 AM   #7
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
Thanks for the guidance, might have to wait a while to put into practice though. Fell over trying a males turn last night and sprained an ankle and BOTH knees. arghhhhhhhhh
Sorry to hear that!

Getting a full turn out is in the hips and as long as those are uninjured you can start stretching. No skates needed!

Old July 18th, 2019, 10:13 AM   #8
rwsz

wow proper technique and body position will help, google it to see how