S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM   #1
TCarlisle

Default Just Found Out -- Skating Isn't Cool?

Wow -- I had no idea. For the past 15 years I have been going skating, practicing, building skill, and now I find out it isn't cool? Well, I guess it is time to just hang it up then!

Seriously -- I am taking my wife (non-skater, has trouble accepting that it is my passion) to a rink that isn't my home rink but one that is generally considered to be about as "cool" as a rink can get. Since my wife only skates for about 10 minutes and then wants to go sit down and hang and wait to leave, I suggested that she invite friends. According to her, no one wants to go and they laughed at the proposed idea of going skating.

Now, I seriously understand that skating isn't what everyone wants to do and I wouldn't expect anyone to do something they don't want to do. But I find it to be quite rude to respond to an invitation with a laugh. Here is why....

1) Whoever she invited knows I am her hubby and all of her friends/family know this is my thing. To not want to go is one thing, but to laugh at the idea is an insult.

2) None of her friends are people I would consider "cool", and in fact most I would consider -- if I can judge for a moment -- to be kind of pathetic. The reason is because none of them have something that is their "thing" that they do well.

The best way I can describe this circle of friends -- which one or more found the idea of skating to be laughable -- is as follows..... they are Sex in the City wannabe's. They will go into a restaurant and sit and act like high and mighty socialites, but they are as fake as the LV knock-off handbags on their arms. And when they go out, they strategically have to pick a place that they think won't have any actual high society females (or fakers that do a better job). They can't walk into a top Manhattan restaurant or club because they would be revealed as the fakers that they are, so instead they bottom feed in dives so they can feel good about themselves.

Who the heck decides what is cool? And is it really "cool" to follow what those people say? Who is really cool -- the person that doesn't have a "thing" because all "things" are beneath that person, or the person that puts their heart into something -- especially when that something may not be mainstream?

Skating may not be popular, but the person that tells me skating is not "cool" better be ready for an earful!

Geez, I needed to vent on this. Thanks!
TCarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi TCarlisle,

Don't know how old you are, but it seems to get worse the older you are.

I'm 61+, and folks look incredulous at me and my wife, when we tell others that we skate.

For me, it's been that way most of the last 45 yrs I've been skating. The 10 yrs prior to that was OK, as I was a kid, and lot's of kids skated way back then.

They really freak, if they see all the stuff I can do on skates. For the 30yrs I Stilt Skated - that blew them away.

Just hold your head up in pride and smile, because you know what they're missing !!
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM   #3
TCarlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi TCarlisle,

Don't know how old you are, but it seems to get worse the older you are.

I'm 61+, and folks look incredulous at me and my wife, when we tell others that we skate.

For me, it's been that way most of the last 45 yrs I've been skating. The 10 yrs prior to that was OK, as I was a kid, and lot's of kids skated way back then.

They really freak, if they see all the stuff I can do on skates. For the 30yrs I Stilt Skated - that blew them away.

Just hold your head up in pride and smile, because you know what they're missing !!
Yeah, I notice it gets worse with age, probably because we are forced to skate alongside the kiddies so people assume we have some sort of issue there.

I am aware how the general public regards skating, and I am quite used to the fact that every once in a while the kids that can't do anything but play tag will make fun of the people that really can skate.

What really set me off, in this instance, is that it is from people who know me and who aren't "all that" by a mile.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM   #4
kufman

Most of the people I went to high school with think skating is stupid as do most of the people my age (30). I have to laugh when I see them try to do something active, most of them couldn't skate for 10 minutes if they wanted too! LOL. This isn't new to me, I grew up as a skate boarder and snowboarder. We were not a very popular crowd either. Stay young, stay active!!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

Maybe it would help if you substituted the word "safe" for the word "cool"...

Just Found Out -- Skating Isn't Safe

Regardless of what people tell you, I think that's the main reason adults don't try skating. They perceive it to be unsafe and, to some extent, they are correct. For instance, several weeks ago a very advanced, older skater was tripped up by a novice at my rink. He went down awkwardly, and the novice fell on his leg. The result was a triple fracture.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but it's certainly part of the risk. So don't be offended that some folks aren't willing to take the same risks as you. Having said all that, I love skating at rinks and will continue to have fun, regardless of the risks.
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM   #6
TCarlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Rat View Post
Maybe it would help if you substituted the word "safe" for the word "cool"...

Just Found Out -- Skating Isn't Safe

Regardless of what people tell you, I think that's the main reason adults don't try skating. They perceive it to be unsafe and, to some extent, they are correct. For instance, several weeks ago a very advanced, older skater was tripped up by a novice at my rink. He went down awkwardly, and the novice fell on his leg. The result was a triple fracture.

I'm not saying this is the norm, but it's certainly part of the risk. So don't be offended that some folks aren't willing to take the same risks as you. Having said all that, I love skating at rinks and will continue to have fun, regardless of the risks.
And that I would actually accept and respect.... but she made it clear it was purely about image/perception.
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM   #7
TCarlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Most of the people I went to high school with think skating is stupid as do most of the people my age (30). I have to laugh when I see them try to do something active, most of them couldn't skate for 10 minutes if they wanted too! LOL. This isn't new to me, I grew up as a skate boarder and snowboarder. We were not a very popular crowd either. Stay young, stay active!!
I think this is really what it is about -- I still fit in the closes I wore 15 years ago.

Hey, I was a skateboarder too, back in about 1978 through 1982.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM   #8
polymathic

I found out the reasoning about inline skating today: it's so 90s. Today, it's okay to be 80s (skateboarding), but uncool to be 90s (inline skating).

It really odd to me that skating is out of fashion, so much so I can't find a store that carries skates in stock, and there are basically only two main online stores for the entire US.

It's a wonderful sport, and far more interesting and healthy than running.
polymathic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
and in fact most I would consider -- if I can judge for a moment -- to be kind of pathetic.
There you have it. Why would you even care what they think? Do your thing, and have fun.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #10
TCarlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
There you have it. Why would you even care what they think? Do your thing, and have fun.
I guess that is why I am all torqued up about it -- I usually don't care at all what anyone thinks.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM   #11
Laserskateplate
blazin is a bitch CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCarlisle View Post
Yeah, I notice it gets worse with age, probably because we are forced to skate alongside the kiddies so people assume we have some sort of issue there.

We are not forced to skate alongside the Kids, That is a choice......
There are so many Adult nights around this area.....
I can skate 5 adult nights a week in this area without the Kiddies.
The only time I am forced to skate with the kiddies is when I bring my Kiddies skating.......LOL
I think thats why RollerJam is more popular, Because its like a club inside, so if you not a big skater you can still enjoy yourself......
It Keeps me Young. It keeps me in good health. It keeps me out of Trouble. It connects me to past generations, And the ones coming up. It keeps me in touch with my community. It challenges me , It Frustrates me, It comforts me. I GLIDE ON THIS MUSIC, I FLOAT ON THESE WHEELS.AND ....I'll be doing it till they put me in the ground. SKATING ........The other Drug!!!!
Laserskateplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:51 PM   #12
TCarlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserskateplate View Post
We are not forced to skate alongside the Kids, That is a choice......
There are so many Adult nights around this area.....
I can skate 5 adult nights a week in this area without the Kiddies.
The only time I am forced to skate with the kiddies is when I bring my Kiddies skating.......LOL
I think thats why RollerJam is more popular, Because its like a club inside, so if you not a big skater you can still enjoy yourself......
That is true.....

So I am guessing rollerjam doesn't interrupt the session for a sock hop <grin>
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM   #13
bethany1972

I totally know what you mean. Anytime I mention that I'm going skating, I get a look of incredulity at the prospect. I just laugh it off and say that it's my "gym" because it's the only thing I do at the moment that gives me a bit of a workout.

As for her friends, you are exactly right....fakers. It's really quite sad. I have my share of fakers around here, but moreso, I have alcoholics. The "cool" thing to do around here is hang out in bars. Well, I feel I've gotten past the need to get hammered every weekend, so I go skating instead. I'm thinking of telling people I'm a recovering alcoholic and that I can't go into bars. LOL
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:53 PM   #14
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

They say you can judge your commitment to something by what you'll give up to have/do it. Skating isn't slightly 'cool' in most circles but we all still love it. Aside from time and money, most of us give up the ability to be seen as 'cool'...but never by anyone whose opinion is worth anything.

Being primarily an outdoor skater, I have found ways around the stigma though. For instance, if you blow by people at 30mph and scare the crap out of them, they're far less likely to fire off a gay joke than if you lope by at 10
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:01 AM   #15
darthblader

I read a quote by a pro skater four or five years ago in an aggressive skating mag called Daily Bread. It went something like this:

"Rolling is kind of like the mullet. Only people that are into it think it's cool. Everyone else thinks it's gay."

While I don't entirely agree with this statement it is true to some exent, and I laughed my A$$ off upon reading it.

I told someone once that I've literally been shot at before while skating, and their response was, "Hell, I don't blame 'em; skaters do look pretty stupid out there swinging their arms around." Sad.

Most adults that don't skate really do seem to think it's uncool, and that it's an activitiy for kids; like a Razor scooter or a Rip Stick. Ten years ago it was a different story. It was cool when it was a fad, but now? Forget-about-it! While I would like skating to be bigger than it is, I'm glad we're rid of the Trendies. At least the remnant that's left is hard-core, and the newcomers are more likely to stick around, IMO.

I think secretly many adults would like to try it, but don't want to get hurt or be ridiculed.

...and I personally gave up trying to be "cool" a long time ago. Being a dork just comes so natural!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:08 AM   #16
darthblader

[QUOTE=eighteen_psi

Being primarily an outdoor skater, I have found ways around the stigma though. For instance, if you blow by people at 30mph and scare the crap out of them, they're far less likely to fire off a gay joke than if you lope by at 10 [/QUOTE]

Yes!

Shouting out, "On your left" while 10 yards away isn't nearly as fun as yelling, "BOO!" when you're two feet away...
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:45 AM   #17
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
Yes!

Shouting out, "On your left" while 10 yards away isn't nearly as fun as yelling, "BOO!" when you're two feet away...
Two feet? Why yell from so far away???

Back when I used to skate on the VA Beach boardwalk, I used to enjoy "buzzing" people who strolled across my path without looking. I'd come within inches and either say nothing, or offer a polite "hello."

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Skating is cool.

Very cool. Send the naysayers my way. I'll straighten them out!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:53 AM   #19
sk8matt

[QUOTE=TCarlisle;126155] Since my wife only skates for about 10 minutes and then wants to go sit down and hang and wait to leave, I suggested that she invite friends. According to her, no one wants to go and they laughed at the proposed idea of going skating.

1) Whoever she invited knows I am her hubby and all of her friends/family know this is my thing. To not want to go is one thing, but to laugh at the idea is an insult.

2) None of her friends are people I would consider "cool", and in fact most I would consider -- if I can judge for a moment -- to be kind of pathetic. The reason is because none of them have something that is their "thing" that they do well.

The best way I can describe this circle of friends -- which one or more found the idea of skating to be laughable -- is as follows..... they are Sex in the City wannabe's. QUOTE]

No offense intended but (its never stopped me before btw) . . .

1. If you're sticking with your wife, you're kinda stuck with her family. Just gotta deal with that.

2. On the bright side, she can always find new friends.

3. The only people that think DOING ANYTHING isn't cool are people who CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!! (sitting in a restaurant acting pretentious does not count)

4. I read Tony Hawk's auto-biography and while I can't quote it (not a bad read) I'm pretty sure when he was a kid all his friends thought HE was lame for being soooo into skate boarding. I'm sure there are many more stories similar to that throughought the world of DOING.

5. When you and your wife are old and nearing the end of your time, her friends won't remember their Sex and the City-capades, but I am pretty damn sure ((if you're skating experiences (inline, quad, speed, agressive, board, uni-skate... .whatever) are anything like mine)) YOU WILL REMEMBER SKATING.

Mmmmmmm. Just typing bout it makes me wanna DO it. Just hafta wait till the morning.

If none of that works - just Effem All!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:55 AM   #20
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
Most adults that don't skate really do seem to think it's uncool, and that it's an activitiy for kids; like a Razor scooter or a Rip Stick. Ten years ago it was a different story. It was cool when it was a fad, but now? Forget-about-it! While I would like skating to be bigger than it is, I'm glad we're rid of the Trendies. At least the remnant that's left is hard-core, and the newcomers are more likely to stick around, IMO.
It's partly a regional thing. My experience has been that the average person in some parts of the south is very intolerant of people who do anything that doesn't fit extremely narrow norms. I regularly got made fun of, and even faced some hostility, for skating down in Norfolk / VA Beach / Williamsburg. The sense I got was that folks down there think that "rollerblading" is something that's only done by kids, gay men, and hotchicks in bikinis. Plus, the local "logic" held that anyone on skates must fall into one of those 3 categories.

Up here in ski country, the average person seems to appreciate all sorts of wild & crazy outdoor pursuits, so long as you don't create a nuisance for others. So, while skating isn't "cool" like it used to be, it's well within the bounds of what's considered "normal." In almost 4 years, I have yet to even hear a punk kid mutter "fruitbooter" to his giggling Beavis & Butthead pals as I pass by. I've heard one tired joke, but that came from someone who had just arrived from Arkansas. I suppose it's no coincidence that the "average" person in Norfolk would be way below-average up here!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote