S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old August 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Bprendie

Default Unruly kids

Went to session last night and managed to stay for about 15 minutes. I was curious what sorts of crowds some of your local rinks are pulling in? We went out on the floor, and there were a sizable amount of kids, but nothing crazy. Within about 5 minutes, kids were everywhere, skating every imaginable direction.

My girlfriend got knocked on her bottom by a kid who was texting and fell into her.. took her legs right out. She was more concerned that she may have scuffed her new boots (thankfully not). After that, we got our stuff and left.

To the credit of the kids, the rink has NO rule announcements, and NO floor staff enforcing any rules of any kind. When I was a kid, we would get kicked out of the rink for any number of offenses. Now, I see kids wearing one skate while texting and skating the wrong direction (I'm not exaggerating.)

So how out of hand are everyone else's public skates? I miss the days of the hard-nosed floor guards who didn't take any crap from anyone.

...and get off my lawn!
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Big Mike
Velocity Lover

Well, I'd like to think of myself as a hard nosed floor guard. My rink is usually watched pretty well, so our kids are pretty well behaved most of tye time.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
skaterdog

Our rink did away with floor guards years ago. Now it can become unskateable.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Dennis Lauer

Default Welcome to the world of modern roller skating.

Welcome. This is what you can expect in todays skating rinks. Many have no floor guards and those that have guards do not bother enforcing any rules.

This problem in many cases comes from the fact that many of those running the rinks are not skaters themselves.

If you search skate log you can find many threads commenting about unruly skaters.

All any of us can do is decide how much mayhem we are willing to put up with and keep skating as long as the joy of skating outweighs the unruliness we are putting up with.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Finn 427

I have had similar rink days of carnage. Our closest rink has local hockey team members as rink guards. Good to really good skaters all on inlines but there is no rules in place on direction for little kids. They just pick them up when a crash occurs. Another rink we went too, rink guards, kids, limited ability, playing frisbee during the session. Needless to say that it didn't go well with having to dodge a frisbee, let alone people trying to catch it without looking where they were going.
Things have changed a LOT since I was getting pulled up and sent off as a kid for racing!!
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Skatervideoguy

Hi Bprendie, skaterdog, & Finn 427,

Just more examples of at worst "Idiots", and at best "Ignorants" at the Helm - either way - non-functional Management.

These kind of situations seem more prevalent in Rinks these days.

Really a big shame - everyone suffers, and Damn little regard is shown for anyone, and folks don't (can't) learn much "Skating".

Big waste of dwindling Rink recources.

Harold
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #7
funkysk8r

I agree with the previous posts-not much else can be said much differently. It is very aggravating when you invest the time and money(for me it takes 30 bucks for a 7.00 session when you figure in gas cost there and back), and you can't even enjoy yourself for the brats chasing each other going the wrong direction. They are not there to skate but rather to socialize and the rink employees just look the other way. The few times i've helped out and put on a ref whistle i almost went deaf blowing the thing and the kids just ignore you.
Old August 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Dennis Lauer

Default Blow whistle & kids ignore you!

When a floor guard blows the whistle and the kids ingnore them, your problem is very poor rink management. If the management truly wants to operate a quality skating rink they will be very sure to back the floor guards (punish the rule breakers) and insist that the floor guards enforce the rules.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Unruly kids? Are there any other kind?
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #10
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Unruly kids? Are there any other kind?
damn you, EW, for your random rightness...
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprendie View Post
Went to session last night and managed to stay for about 15 minutes. I was curious what sorts of crowds some of your local rinks are pulling in? We went out on the floor, and there were a sizable amount of kids, but nothing crazy. Within about 5 minutes, kids were everywhere, skating every imaginable direction.

My girlfriend got knocked on her bottom by a kid who was texting and fell into her.. took her legs right out. She was more concerned that she may have scuffed her new boots (thankfully not). After that, we got our stuff and left.

To the credit of the kids, the rink has NO rule announcements, and NO floor staff enforcing any rules of any kind. When I was a kid, we would get kicked out of the rink for any number of offenses. Now, I see kids wearing one skate while texting and skating the wrong direction (I'm not exaggerating.)

So how out of hand are everyone else's public skates? I miss the days of the hard-nosed floor guards who didn't take any crap from anyone.

...and get off my lawn!
Unruly kids...how about unruly Adults at one of my rinks Palace the same type of things will be going on there always be these 3 guys they will be in a train side by side going real slow taking up the shuffle lanes that drive me nuts then weeks before they had a big fight there was about 50 people and dozen of Police this is very rare but it happens sometimes.

Last edited by Holiday Guy; August 20th, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Holiday Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #12
Dec8rSk8r

Kids are going to act like that if they can get away with it. They are with their friends cutting up and having a good ole time. When kids are out of control, I blame rink management instead of the kids for not enforcing a little more discipline.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #13
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default Too old

There pretty good where i skate .Yeah sure you have kids goin in every direction (pretty normal really)25 years ago when i was a rink guard we didnt stop anyone or help them up, unless they were pretty girls........
And at my old rink (now long closed down) every saturday night there was a fight either on the rink or outside ,Rough area back then
jackbkwikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #14
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
There pretty good where i skate .Yeah sure you have kids goin in every direction (pretty normal really)25 years ago when i was a rink guard we didnt stop anyone or help them up, unless they were pretty girls........
And at my old rink (now long closed down) every saturday night there was a fight either on the rink or outside ,Rough area back then
You going for a skate tomorrow?
Derby at the showgrounds tonight, then we might try to go for a skate tomorrow.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #15
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default Ohhhh derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
You going for a skate tomorrow?
Derby at the showgrounds tonight, then we might try to go for a skate tomorrow.
Derby tonight, Can you still get tickets ....

Yeah sure am going tommorow have to back up my winning style (beat the kiddies at those games )And maxi
jackbkwikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #16
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
Derby tonight, Can you still get tickets ....

Yeah sure am going tommorow have to back up my winning style (beat the kiddies at those games )And maxi
Yeah there will be tix available at the gate.
We will definitely try to make tomorrow as well.
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Be11yDancer
Wannabee Rink Owner

Default Unruly Kids

So, unruly kids are ruining the skating experience.

I want to open a rink in Jupiter, Fl. I'm not *really* afraid of unruly kids as I taught school in an urban area (Camden, NJ?) where one of my 5th graders had probation officer (umm and he was the only white kid), I know unruly kids and how to talk to them. But I'm not planning to be my own rink guard!

I've tried to think of a few ways to disuade unruly people, like having some sort of discount membership, and you basically earn your membership by attending a certain amount of times, in a certain period, and behaving. But if you misbehave, your membership is revoked? Assuming it's the regulars that are misbehaving . . .

Of course, a good rink guard should solve the problem, right . . .

Any other creative ideas? I thought of having a speed limit and maybe some kind of speed sensor. It would be fun to speed for races and let people know if they are going too fast during session, just like those ones that tell you your speed when you're driving. . . .
Be11yDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #18
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Our rink owner is a skater. The kids there aren`t really unruly per se. They are allowed to have a good time and all but when their good time starts to really become unsafe then measures are taken. The floor guards, of which I am on occasions, give them a warning. If they continue then the owner sets them down for 30 minutes and if that doesn`t do the trick the parents get a call to come pick up the kids and they are no longer allowed back.
We don`t allow "overly" fast skating until a designated shuffle skate or fast skate or races. We don`t allow random standing along the floor edge on the skating surface. No making out lol. I laughed at the rink owner on this one. I said "Are you serious? Thats the main reason I went skating BITD" Anyways, he`s right, he`s the rink owner and we try to have a good clean, family type atmosphere that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #19
ronbow

Management !!!!!!!! the owners will hire anybody that will work cheap to take more of the profits. as long as they dont have to be there every day. a manager stays till thay learn how to steal then the next one is there. the harsh reality of a lot of rinks !!!!!!!!
ronbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Salamanda

My old rink that I skated at as a kid back in the late 80's/early 90's (gosh that makes me feel old!) had a sin bin area. If a kid was caught breaking the rules you got sent there for a time out. Our floor guards did their job too. No skating against the flow, no speed skating unless it was a designated speed skate, no unruly or dangerous behaviour, no food or drink on the floor. Pretty much all common sense things! It was a great rink